Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

McCartney’s forward ambitions

link

Western Bulldogs Senior Coach Brendan McCartney has complete faith in the emerging key forward prospects on the Bulldog’s list, with a solid belief that their ambition and raw talent will soon be matched by an imposing presence and consistent output.

The Bulldog’s forward line woes have been well documented but Coach McCartney has openly backed the emerging talent in Liam Jones, Jarrad Grant, Jordan Roughead and Ayce Cordy to take the Dogs forward.

To listen to the full SEN radio interview with Brendan McCartney click here

While there is no established key forward currently available on the senior list to aid the transition, McCartney believes that with time, good coaching and support the young men will develop into a solid forward outfit.

“They are all very good young men - by that I mean they have good training habits, they are good to coach, they listen, they learn quite quickly and they are all quite settled with the picture we have of the type of player we want them to become,” McCartney told SEN radio.

“We will keep putting what I call time well spent into them with some good coaching and good, strong direction.

“All of them are ambitious - they are not loud and brash at the moment but that will come with some more confidence, they are competitive by nature.”

McCartney has made no secret of his intentions to educate, develop and mould the players at Whitten Oval into a ruthless, physical and resilient outfit and has no illusions that such transitions take time.

His teaching background however has instilled a level of patience that will allow his vision to transpire.

The Bulldog’s key forward prospects are still a very young group with Grant the eldest at 22 years old and less than 50 games to his name.

Jones (31 games), Roughead (23 games) and Cordy (5 games) are all only 21 years old and do not currently have the match experience to shoulder the responsibility of the forward line exclusively.

“The young kids we have in our organisation number one have enough talent… and number two remain level headed kids who want to learn and listen and be good teammates and make their Club better,” McCartney told ABC Grandstand.

“Some of our young forwards, the one ingredient they do have is they are high quality people… they want to get better and they are ambitious.

“When their physical stature catches up with those ambitions we are going to have some good young players down there [in the forward line].”

In the meantime McCartney is holding the entire team responsible for the Bulldog’s scoring opportunities, calling on a number of small forwards and more experienced players across the ground to contribute.

The team has responded with 18 players adding to the goal tally so far in Season 2012 firming the belief that the Bulldogs will not rely on one or two scoring options going forward.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: McCartney’s forward ambitions

If anyone didn't hear the interview of Macca on SEN on Saturday morning, then click on the link above. I thought it was a great interview and really impressed by Macca and what he is doing at the club.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    If anyone didn't hear the interview of Macca on SEN on Saturday morning, then click on the link above. I thought it was a great interview and really impressed by Macca and what he is doing at the club.
    Me too.

Thanks for putting it up.

Post Thanks / Like

To me he comes accross as someone with a clear vision who wont deviate from it. We currently have holes in our list that hopefully will be addressed at years end.

In the meantime we have to ride the wave with the youngsters whilst playing some players who are really only band aid solutions until we get more quality players on our list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    To me he comes accross as someone with a clear vision who wont deviate from it. We currently have holes in our list that hopefully will be addressed at years end.

In the meantime we have to ride the wave with the youngsters whilst playing some players who are really only band aid solutions until we get more quality players on our list.
    I think its going to take a few years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    I agree, and he has identified what area he is fixing first, then he will move onto the next one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I agree, and he has identified what area he is fixing first, then he will move onto the next one.
    It would be interesting to know how long he thinks it's going to take to get us to the point where we are pushing for a top 4 spot again.

I can't see it happening for some time yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog;268446The Bulldog’s key forward prospects are still a very young group with Grant the eldest at 22 years old and less than 50 games to his name.[/B
    Jones (31 games), Roughead (23 games) and Cordy (5 games) are all only 21 years old and do not currently have the match experience to shoulder the responsibility of the forward line exclusively.
    This immediately stood out to me. Having lost his first year to a stingray related injury and OP he had a very good year in a top four side in 2010 after a year of getting going in the VFL. He's struggled a bit since then and quite rightly some have questioned his application or attitude.

I'm not sure if he was always the most motivated of players, though he's always seemed immature. Having said that, his talent can't be questioned and at 22 and short of 50 games I am always a little bit surprised by how quickly many Bulldog supporters and football commentators are prepared to put a line through his name.

I can't wait for all of the players listed above to reach the 75 game mark. I think that's when we'll see them hit their straps and really start owning games. Each of them is talented, and if each of them works hard enough they'll be contributors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    It would be interesting to know how long he thinks it's going to take to get us to the point where we are pushing for a top 4 spot again.

I can't see it happening for some time yet.
    It will be interesting how long it takes. Can you recall when Eade took over how long you thought it would take?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    It will be interesting how long it takes. Can you recall when Eade took over how long you thought it would take?
    We had the basis for a pretty good team when he took over, they had just been poorly coached/ developed.... By the end of his first year there were already some really good signs, but it still took 4 years to get there.

Our list isn't in the same sort of shape now and it's a big job to get it to where it needs to be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    This immediately stood out to me. Having lost his first year to a stingray related injury and OP he had a very good year in a top four side in 2010 after a year of getting going in the VFL. He's struggled a bit since then and quite rightly some have questioned his application or attitude.

I'm not sure if he was always the most motivated of players, though he's always seemed immature. Having said that, his talent can't be questioned and at 22 and short of 50 games I am always a little bit surprised by how quickly many Bulldog supporters and football commentators are prepared to put a line through his name.

I can't wait for all of the players listed above to reach the 75 game mark. I think that's when we'll see them hit their straps and really start owning games. Each of them is talented, and if each of them works hard enough they'll be contributors.
    The sad thing for our list is that when these lads reach 75 or so games, the likes of Boyd, Cross, Murphy, Gia, Lake, Hargraves, Cooney and others would be retired or very close to it. I just hope that we have others of their quality to take their place.

I'm predicting a long turn around for finals success, but when it comes around lets hope it comes around with a premiership.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    We had the basis for a pretty good team when he took over, they had just been poorly coached/ developed.... By the end of his first year there were already some really good signs, but it still took 4 years to get there.

Our list isn't in the same sort of shape now and it's a big job to get it to where it needs to be.
    Yep. The instant massive improvements from previously misued talents in Shaggy, Gilbee and Cross show the difference between having a very good coach and a very poor one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    The sad thing for our list is that when these lads reach 75 or so games, the likes of Boyd, Cross, Murphy, Gia, Lake, Hargraves, Cooney and others would be retired or very close to it. I just hope that we have others of their quality to take their place.

I'm predicting a long turn around for finals success, but when it comes around lets hope it comes around with a premiership.
    Those players will be sorely missed, though others will get an opportunity to produce and just like 2004-2006 we don't know how certain players will develop.

By that stage Wallis, Libba, Dahl, Wood, Howard, Tutt, Smith, Markovic, Austin, Dj and Vez having had the opportunity to have played at least 50 games, with Higgins, Cooney (hopefully), Griffin, Picken, Minson, Williams, Sherman and Addison there to hold the senior positions. Sure some of these guys will be turned over by then, though each of them has shown an ability to contribute on gameday.

It's a real wait and see issue for mine. I seriously think that in Cordy, Grant, Jones, and Roughead we're well placed up forward and in the ruck. Defense is a different issue, but nobody could have expected Lake to play the way he did between 2007-2010 so it's hard to predict what will come our way in that area moving forward. None of the candidates on our list right now seem to show the potential to be a Lake in terms of marking and creativity however, I'm yet to see the same level of brain farts from them either. Maybe they'll just be solid.

Our midfield will be seriously good for ball winning capability and decision making. If we can supplement that with some clean skills and pace from the next draft then we'll be in a position to give finals a shake in two to three years IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad they discussed Shaun and was really pleased with his answer. Sounds like he is coming along.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 09-05-2012 at 01:42 AM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

There are a lot of variables, but more than anything, we need to nail the next 2 drafts.

In 2-4 years our senior players will be gone. Boyd, Lake, Hargrave, and Gia will be very difficult to replace. Cooney might be gone by then too, so it is absolutely imperative we draft really well in these next two years.

If we don't, we'll be in a huge hole.