Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: McCartney’s forward ambitions

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    If anyone didn't hear the interview of Macca on SEN on Saturday morning, then click on the link above. I thought it was a great interview and really impressed by Macca and what he is doing at the club.
    Me also, he spoke very well, very direct and he seems like a very good manager and instructor of people.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Glad they discussed Shuan and was really pleased with his answer. Sounds like he is coming along.
    Agreed, and it also provided a small insight into Higgin's personality that might help to provide another angle of perception in to why he behaves like he does on the field.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Agreed, and it also provided a small insight into Higgin's personality that might help to provide another angle of perception in to why he behaves like he does on the field.
    Maybe he and other players are always thinking they have to drag our club across the line, when in actual, fact, they just need to fill a role. Trying to compensate for things that are really out of their control. It can be hard to deal with unrealistic expectations. I've been a bit hard on Shaun before on these boards, out of pure frustration. Glad he has someone so steady at the tiller as Bmac.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Maybe he and other players are always thinking they have to drag our club across the line, when in actual, fact, they just need to fill a role. Trying to compensate for things that are really out of their control. It can be hard to deal with unrealistic expectations. I've been a bit hard on Shaun before on these boards, out of pure frustration. Glad he has someone so steady at the tiller as Bmac.
    Their attitude might come down to a lack of faith in those around them. It can be hard for some players to drop the sense of self importance (I'm not using that term negatively in this case, mind) when they see new players around them that aren't proven. I've played in sides that have had the same thing happen, from A section to C section senior football. Ultimately, the teams I played in always were more successful when an inclusive mindset from senior players was embraced, and shared responsibility has been the adopted principle by all players, from senior through mid tier and lower experience levels.

I've said in other threads that being a medium sized or smaller forward in our side right now would be a tough position to play. My main reasons for that were due to our sluggish and sloppy ball movement to this point, and the fact that players like Higgins and Gia aren't actually forwards, rather, they're filling holes (as they have done for years when they are actually midfielders). They do it well for the most part, though they also put a lot of effort in to trying to kick goals or get involved in the play offensively when they should be thinking of how they can help the team through defensive efforts or by clearing space (credit to Gia in this area over the last couple of years when Hall was dominating our forward line).

You might see Jones surrounded by many defenders spoiling him over the coming weeks. Pay special attention to the players around him and ask yourself whether he's being isolated the way he should be. Our forward line goes from having nobody in it quite often, to having everybody in it with Jones sruggling to get space. All of our forwards need to determine whether their presence at the contest is helping our taller forwards or hindering them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    There are a lot of variables, but more than anything, we need to nail the next 2 drafts.

In 2-4 years our senior players will be gone. Boyd, Lake, Hargrave, and Gia will be very difficult to replace. Cooney might be gone by then too, so it is absolutely imperative we draft really well in these next two years.

If we don't, we'll be in a huge hole.
    Boyd has already been replaced with blokes like Libber, Wallis Dahlhaus and Clay coming through, our mids are ok for the next ten years.

Gia is already replaced with Shermann,
    Lake with Markovic, its only 2 or 3 players we have to find in the next 3 years and with draft and delistings its shouldnt be a problem.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    It would be interesting to know how long he thinks it's going to take to get us to the point where we are pushing for a top 4 spot again.

I can't see it happening for some time yet.
    I tend to agree with you, then again we could nail all our picks at this years draft with our 2 first round picks playing senior footy straight away.
    With the the 2nd/3rd year players taking the next step, we may climb sooner than we expect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    I tend to agree with you, then again we could nail all our picks at this years draft with our 2 first round picks playing senior footy straight away.
    With the the 2nd/3rd year players taking the next step, we may climb sooner than we expect.
    Look at Geelong. its just got to click, could be one year could be 6 months, you cant put a time on it. personally i wouldnt be surprised if its next year.
    I believe we already have 95% of the players, our figures show we already get the ball enough its just the ball use into the forward line.

It might only take one game of a good flogging on another team when everything goes right and whammo the forwards get the idea and its up and running.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Boyd has already been replaced with blokes like Libber, Wallis Dahlhaus and Clay coming through, our mids are ok for the next ten years.
    So who replaces Griffen and Cooney?

Lake with Markovic, its only 2 or 3 players we have to find in the next 3 years and with draft and delistings its shouldnt be a problem.
    Lake is/ was a top 3 FB in the league for 5+ years. Markovic is an honest battler.

You're in dreamland if you think we only need 2 or 3 players.... We need about 15, and yes some of these might already be on our list, but they aren't proven performers yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Gia is already replaced with Shermann
    I'd say they are extremely different types of players.

For mine, Higgins is the closet we have to Gia - inside mid/good ball user in congestion, not blessed with innate hardness or pace but gets by on smarts, generally a good finisher in the F50 and is often subject of outright abuse by Bulldogs fans.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

You're in dreamland if you think we only need 2 or 3 players.... We need about 15, and yes some of these might already be on our list, but they aren't proven performers yet.
    You have hit the nail on the head, a long way to go yet for some of these younger players to prove they can play consistently every year.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

So who replaces Griffen and Cooney?

I named more than one, also Cooneys out put the last 2 years has been equivalent to a normal AFL mid not the exceptionally talented one we did know.

Lake is/ was a top 3 FB in the league for 5+ years. Markovic is an honest battler.

Markovic has showed recently with his confidence up he will run off and is more than a battler in my eyes.
    Full backs rely a lot on up the field pressure leading to bad delivery i dont care how good a fullback is if the delivery to the forward is good your done.

Dreamland?
    Just like Geelong and Westcoast recently??
    2 years ago people wanted Worsfold sacked and the players were no good the next year its a prelim.
    Geelong a few years ago were atrocious with people wanting Thompson sacked the next year was a flag if i remember correctly.

As macca points out about every second interview its not the individual its the team, whats the old saying about a team and individuals?

Alot of people think about oh how are we going to replace champion players, sorry but a lot become so called champs when the team develops and from players around them.

Collingwood is a great team, they have a couple of stars but the rest are workers every club has a couple of stars, its about the teams cohesion that makes the difference and how a coach moves certain deficient players into places they can play and of course the game plan and age.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Dreamland?
    2 years ago people wanted Worsfold sacked and the players were no good the next year its a prelim..
    How many first round picks did West Coast pick up?. They have had the opportunity to get early picks like Nic Nat and others because they bottomed out and traded for early picks as well.

They didn't play finals for 3 years, ie 2008, 9,10 so it didn't happen overnight.

Get ready for the long haul Ledge.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

How many first round picks did West Coast pick up?. They have had the opportunity to get early picks like Nic Nat and others because they bottomed out and traded for early picks as well.

They didn't play finals for 3 years, ie 2008, 9,10 so it didn't happen overnight.

I am not saying we will win a flag but i certainly believe this year will be our worst as we make the transition of coaching changes, even that could be a better finish on the ladder than last year.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Dreamland?
    2 years ago people wanted Worsfold sacked and the players were no good the next year its a prelim.
    Geelong a few years ago were atrocious with people wanting Thompson sacked the next year was a flag if i remember correctly.

As macca points out about every second interview its not the individual its the team, whats the old saying about a team and individuals?

Alot of people think about oh how are we going to replace champion players, sorry but a lot become so called champs when the team develops and from players around them.

Collingwood is a great team, they have a couple of stars but the rest are workers every club has a couple of stars, its about the teams cohesion that makes the difference and how a coach moves certain deficient players into places they can play and of course the game plan and age.
    You still need quality individuals within the team and we are along way from that.

Collingwood have more than a couple of stars, as do Geelong..... We only have 1 or 2 at present.

Sydney are probably the most evenly balanced team in the comp, but they haven't had the star factor to help them win finals games in recent years and it's yet to be known how they will go this year, but I can't see them seriously challenging when push comes to shove.

Post Thanks / Like

West Coast, much as I hate them, are the best recruiters in the land, for mine.