Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers and Anchors - Round 7

Quote Originally Posted by alexxx View Post
    This was almost in front of me, I was to the left behind the goals. I really think it was so split it could have been called Goal, Holding the ball or even push in the back. Either way one club was always going to be p*ssed.
    I know everyone sees things differently but are you serious? Goldstein ended up on his back. I thought Addison did everything right considering the momentum he hit Goldstein with. He actually managed to turn Goldstein in the tackle. As soon as a player marks and chooses to play on, prior opportunity goes out the window.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Im Not Bitter View Post
    It was Brian Cordy like. He ran down Bernie Quinlan in a similar way.

It was Michael Conlan. Round 21 1983 Western Oval halfway through the third quarter. It was a game changer. We'd wasted a huge gale in the second quarter and Fitzroy went into halftime with a 4 or 5 goal break with the wind advantage in the third. Conlan broke free on the half forward line and was streaming into an open goal when Brian ran him down.

Our sponsor Eastcoast had promised the players $21, 000 if they won the last three games. We won the first one at Moorabin against St Kilda after being 39 points down at 3/4 time. Then we had the Fitzroy game at home. The guy who owned Eastcoast walked into the rooms at halftime with $14 000 cash in a briefcase, climbed onto a table and told the players it was theirs if they beat Fitzroy.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    I know everyone sees things differently but are you serious? Goldstein ended up on his back. I thought Addison did everything right considering the momentum he hit Goldstein with. He actually managed to turn Goldstein in the tackle. As soon as a player marks and chooses to play on, prior opportunity goes out the window.
    ^ Yup. Textbook tackle, Goldstein even had a sneaky look back as he ran with the ball.
    That decision was a howler, clearly holding the ball should have been paid.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It was Michael Conlan. Round 21 1983 Western Oval halfway through the third quarter. It was a game changer. We'd wasted a huge gale in the second quarter and Fitzroy went into halftime with a 4 or 5 goal break with the wind advantage in the third. Conlan broke free on the half forward line and was streaming into an open goal when Brian ran him down.

Our sponsor Eastcoast had promised the players $21, 000 if they won the last three games. We won the first one at Moorabin against St Kilda after being 39 points down at 3/4 time. Then we had the Fitzroy game at home. The guy who owned Eastcoast walked into the rooms at halftime with $14 000 cash in a briefcase, climbed onto a table and told the players it was theirs if they beat Fitzroy.
    Are you sure? My recollection is that it was Magic McLean, who was one of my favourites and was probably one of the quickest blokes we've ever had at the club. The true test of pace is how quick they are when they are chasing. Lots of blokes look quick when they have the ball in hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah fair call im gunna watch the replay tonight I was looking at it as if he launched and fell into his back. Don't know why footballers think playing on 15m out is a good idea.

Post Thanks / Like

If you listen to umpire as he and Picken are running back to centre, the ump says " I'll tell you again Liam..he didn't have prior opportunity WTF..I thought he took 3-4 steps..and that's NOT prior opportunity..well bugger me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post

Of couse I have probably mixed it all up but I had it in my head that Quinlan was going for his 100th goal that game and Cordy's tackle stopped him getting it. I also think it was around 1990. Great game we were going nuts down at the Barkly St goals (more than usual). What happened to our Eastcoast sponsorship - I certainly bought enough of those high waisted flares.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OLD SCRAGGer View Post
    If you listen to umpire as he and Picken are running back to centre, the ump says " I'll tell you again Liam..he didn't have prior opportunity WTF..I thought he took 3-4 steps..and that's NOT prior opportunity..well bugger me
    You're correct....that is prior opportunity and that doesn't even allow for the fact he had taken the mark and had the chance of going back for his kick. By playing on he negated any right to prior opportunity.

Post Thanks / Like

You're correct....that is prior opportunity and that doesn't even allow for the fact he had taken the mark and had the chance of going back for his kick. By playing on he negated any right to prior opportunity.
    Some great photos of the incident in the HUN. Three photos devoted to that one tackle and I hope the umpires are red faced.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Watched the game on replay last night and I was very impressed with Dahlhaus' blue collar efforts. Some of his work with his hands in the clinches was exceptional, up there with Wallis and Libba on the night. We didn't see the trademark run and carry plays from him but what I saw was someone very comfortable in the heat of the kitchen. Also pleasently surprised by Sherman's decision making - much better. Austin also surprised me greatly with his reading of the ball in the air and made some fantastic spoils.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Some great photos of the incident in the HUN. Three photos devoted to that one tackle and I hope the umpires are red faced.
    I hope the one who ignored it gets the sack.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

This was almost in front of me, I was to the left behind the goals. I really think it was so split it could have been called Goal, Holding the ball or even push in the back. Either way one club was always going to be p*ssed.
    No offence, but this made me laugh. It was clearly, undoubtedly, unequivocally a shocking non-decision. No ifs, buts or maybe's - incorrect disposal was the ONLY call that should have been made.

Anchors (Without mentioning how good the best really were)

Picken for destroying Boomer yet again. Has had his measure for years! Still remember Pickens first game I believe on Boomer

Austin beating Edwards who usually does well against us - With Markovic down he has really stepped up, he isnt your 25 possie defender he's your classic defender with brilliant spoiling work.
    I think you mean Bankers?
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Watched the game on replay last night and I was very impressed with Dahlhaus' blue collar efforts. Some of his work with his hands in the clinches was exceptional, up there with Wallis and Libba on the night. We didn't see the trademark run and carry plays from him but what I saw was someone very comfortable in the heat of the kitchen. Also pleasently surprised by Sherman's decision making - much better. Austin also surprised me greatly with his reading of the ball in the air and made some fantastic spoils.
    I think Dahlhaus was always comfortable in the kitchen, which I think lead to all the clubs over looking him in the national draft. He is a very good all round player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    No offence, but this made me laugh. It was clearly, undoubtedly, unequivocally a shocking non-decision. No ifs, buts or maybe's - incorrect disposal was the ONLY call that should have been made.

I think you mean Bankers?
    Yes. Anchors. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Fair call. Just went and watched the replay, I clearly wasn't looking at the incorrect disposal my reaction was based on Addison's leap into his back. Got it wrong. Umpire said to Picken "Didn't have prior opportunity" Dunstall (I believe) pointed out that he played on, theres your prior, shocking decision.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'd like to put an early Bankers nomination for Dylan Addisons run down of Goldstein. They still got a goal out of it but it was an inspiring effort.
    Holy hell. I'm watching the replay now and that is a stunner.

The bit that got me: as the umpire is running back to the square talking to Picken he says "I'll tell you again Liam, he never had prior opportunity". That in itself is stunning, but then on the umpires mic you can clearly hear the other umpire say "fantastic decision (and his name, but that's a bit muffled)".

The mind boggles.
    "It's over. It's all over."