Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Everitt v Veszpremi

Yes I know I'm plageriseing a thread on B/F!
    Just wondering people's thoughts so far?
    Just think after what looked a nil all draw trade we're starting to edge it with Pat playing his best game for us on Sunday.Just liked his run and carry and disposal ( needs to get a super tank, he looked stuffed at times)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Everitt v Veszpremi

I'm still holding fire on that one. I like the look of Vez, but I worry a bit that after five (six?) years in the system fitness is still an issue. I think he's certainly trending upwards though. I'd like to see him get an extended run, he's been pretty good coming off half back.

Nil all draw. I like that description. Hope it turns our way though.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

I was not a fan of Veszpremi nor Everitt. I am starting to like what I see.
    If Vez keeps going and improving like he has played the last couple, it will be a positive for us, regardless of what Everitt does with Sydney.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

It's looking like win/win to me. Everitt has played some good games as a Swan. Vez is starting to show what he can do now and seems like he is playing a pretty important role.

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I'm still holding fire on that one. I like the look of Vez, but I worry a bit that after five (six?) years in the system fitness is still an issue.
    Is it though? It doesn't seem like he's fatiguing early. Not sure on his rotations as I don't make much notes of that while watching but he looks in terrific shape just by looking at him, better than he ever has.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    It's looking like win/win to me. Everitt has played some good games as a Swan. Vez is starting to show what he can do now and seems like he is playing a pretty important role.

Is it though? It doesn't seem like he's fatiguing early. Not sure on his rotations as I don't make much notes of that while watching but he looks in terrific shape just by looking at him, better than he ever has.
    Yes it is still an issue and a very obvious one I would have thought. He is not running anywhere near as much in the second half. This weekend will truly test him in the Darwin humidity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Yes it is still an issue and a very obvious one I would have thought. He is not running anywhere near as much in the second half. This weekend will truly test him in the Darwin humidity.
    I'll have to keep a close eye on him against the Cats if he's there.

Post Thanks / Like

Vez now wears the tri-colours so I find it hard to be subjective.....
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I liked his game on the weekend which may give him more confidence to run and carry the ball. One thing his long kicking is exceptional, but as others have said, I do worry about his fitness. I think he needs to lose a few kilos and work harder on the training track. I prefer to have him at this stage than Everitt. Everitt's poor attitude and body language was not good.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Vez has a definiate postion on the field, Everitt did not in his time with us.

I'm not sure Everitt plays the style McCartney wants so we're probably better off with him and the Swans would be happy with lil Spidey's output thus far.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Yeah, I reckon it is. He blows up after going for a dash. What I will say is that he's clearly fitter and in better shape than when he first came to us, but he's still got some way to go. One thing I've noticed about most of our players is the ability for repeat efforts, but I'm not sure Vez is where we'd like him to be with that.

But the kid can play, and I hope he can stay in the seniors this year, have a great preseason and really boost his fitness.
    "It's over. It's all over."

From Melbourne, to London and now Perth WA
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s an interesting proposition...

I like aspects of Vez such as he seems a natural footballer first and foremost – as opposed to the athletic types being turned into footballers. However against the Pies he got a lot of it, but made so many errors. He seemed to panic in possession and fluffed multiple handballs and kicks. Still, like some have already mentioned, if he gets a sustained run in the side in the same position, it will help his confidence.

For me the jury is still out however I’m hopeful of a positive mid to long term outcome.

As for Everitt well I no longer care as he’s a swan.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd rather Veszpremi than Everitt. He has a better chance at carving out a good career.

However, he has a long way to go. Especially in the fitness and contested ball areas.

It's an important year for him. I've liked the role down back, but I think long term he could be a better forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I liked his game on the weekend which may give him more confidence to run and carry the ball. One thing his long kicking is exceptional, but as others have said, I do worry about his fitness. I think he needs to lose a few kilos and work harder on the training track.
    Agree with all that. Definitely Vezs' best game for the Dogs against North.

You mention fitness, which I agree with, but the other concern I have with him is his handball skills. In the past couple of games I've paid more attention to it, and just about every handball I can recall has either missed its target completely, or bounced/dropped short or been too high. He needs to keep working hard in this area as a poor handball on the offensive burst can be the difference between us having a quick entry and scoring, or a turnover resulting in a shot on goal the other way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    Agree with all that. Definitely Vezs' best game for the Dogs against North.

You mention fitness, which I agree with, but the other concern I have with him is his handball skills. In the past couple of games I've paid more attention to it, and just about every handball I can recall has either missed its target completely, or bounced/dropped short or been too high. He needs to keep working hard in this area as a poor handball on the offensive burst can be the difference between us having a quick entry and scoring, or a turnover resulting in a shot on goal the other way.
    Yes, I forgot about his handballing. This is one area that has been costly particularly against Collingwood.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Vez has a definiate postion on the field, Everitt did not in his time with us.

I'm not sure Everitt plays the style McCartney wants so we're probably better off with him and the Swans would be happy with lil Spidey's output thus far.
    Vez does have a definite position on the field now, though before he came to the Bulldogs he was a forward that didn't work hard enough. Vez is the type of player that if everything aligns he'll be able to play well in any position he's put in (although, not the on-ball type roles Cross, Boyd and Griffen do).

Looking at the two players I feel that Vez could be better than Everitt in a lot of positions as long as everything's going well, while Everitt will have a more consistent output. Vez's potential output is higher IMO.

He needs to drop weight. The game won't be kind to him if he doesn't. His fitness will improve as a result, and his longevity will follow through on that.

All in all I hope it's a win for both clubs, though I think we'll end up doing better out of it from what I've seen from both players when given a run at it.

A point to note is they both only turn 23 this year. both were first round picks, Everitt has played 53 games after coming in to the system in 2006 while Pat has only played 18 games after coming in to the system in 2007. Imagine Everitt having the output and impact that Vez did on the weekend, and the hype it would have generated amongst Bulldogs supporters. Because of the way Everitt looks most fans would get considerably more excited than they currently are over Vez's game on the weekend.

Seriously, if Vez gets his attitude and body right we'll have a genuine player on our hands. One that will take the game on just as well as any player on our list. A big if, but one worth aspiring to right now.