Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs ready to unleash a free-agency attack

Mark Stevens - Herald Sun

THE Western Bulldogs have the salary cap room to mount a free-agency assault on a rival player.

Bulldogs football manager James Fantasia has declared: "There's nothing we can be held back from."

After living close to the brink of the cap in a sustained premiership tilt from 2008-10, the Dogs have been freed up by the loss of Callan Ward to Greater Western Sydney and a string of retirements.

"We're pretty well placed all the way round ... we've stored some good draft picks and we've got a little bit of space in our cap," Fantasia said.

"We're in the right place to be involved in anything. But there's a few clubs that are in the same basket."

Tempering talk of a raid on a big name is the fact new Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney has constantly declared a strong preference for drafting youth and developing from within.

And with the compensation picks for Callan Ward and Sam Reid activated this year, the Dogs are well placed to take advantage of the much-hyped super-draft.

The Dogs have gently tested the water with Collingwood superstar Travis Cloke, with Fantasia confirming list manager Jason McCartney had spoken to Cloke's agent Ralph Carr.

"Jason has done his rounds. He's met with every manager. He just so happened to speak with Ralph," Fantasia said.

"All we will do is make sure we have covered off everything. We're not going to talk about our players and what we're looking at."

Although free agency has created headlines, several AFL insiders believe their will be little movement among the big fish.

It will be more suited to older players, maybe on the fringes of automatic selection that their clubs, looking for more security elsewhere to finish out their careers.

There is a strong feeling it will take time for clubs to adapt and be more adventurous.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs ready to unleash a free-agency attack

I like any piece about our club normally (unless Aker's involved, as he gets my blood boiling like no other), but this is just fluff.

Surely there's some other things regarding the Bulldogs for Stevo to bang on about! I know he tries very hard for us and he's probably had the odd stern word from his editors about some of his Bulldog content in the past......

Post Thanks / Like

Total fluff piece.......if we land anything other than a turkey ot of free agency we will be lucky.....

Post Thanks / Like

Could we be sending out signals for clubs to shore up their out of contract stars?

We maybe looking at that 2 level star or soon to be potential star that can't fit in their salary cap.

It all could be smoke and mirrors stuff.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

I see nothing wrong with advertising the fact we are on the look-out. Nothing at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure the headline reflected accurately the article. I think the article could be reflective of quite a few clubs to be honest.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    I see nothing wrong with advertising the fact we are on the look-out. Nothing at all.
    Agreed. It's good for our fans, sponsors and opposition fans to know that we are in a strong position. Anything that's positive for the brand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    Its also great to know we are thinking about who we can target.

I wonder what type of player Macca is looking for?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Waiting for Sedat...

Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Its also great to know we are thinking about who we can target.

I wonder what type of player Macca is looking for?
    We need to address the deficiencies in our list.

We're good for hard at it mids, we're good for half back types, we're good for ruck/forward utility types so those types of players should be off the radar.

The priority (in order) must be:

1. quality, attacking mid fielders
    2. key defensive players
    3. genuine key forwards
    4. small, pacy forwards

And they need to be in the prime 22 - 26 age bracket.

I'd be throwing everything (within reason) to get Boak.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I know in the other thread on Free agency, Mofra mentions he may be a free agent, but I thought he was too young to be. Therefore, he will cost picks, so what would you give for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

I thought that too but I was told yesterday that he was slow. I've never noticed it but then I don't watch Port much.

Post Thanks / Like

I know in the other thread on Free agency, Mofra mentions he may be a free agent, but I thought he was too young to be. Therefore, he will cost picks, so what would you give for him.
    He's probably worth an early-mid first round pick - can we trade our compo pick?

If so, maybe we can get tricky ala Wells from Geelong or Clayton from GC and trade our compo pick to a team who finishes higher than us - for example, we finish 14th and get pick 6 and 7 (Melbourne finish lower and get picks 2 and 3). St Kilda finishes 10th and gets pick 11.

We trade them pick 7 for pick 11 and their 2nd round pick. We use pick 11 to pick up Boak and have 2 fairly early 2nd rounders to use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I thought that too but I was told yesterday that he was slow. I've never noticed it but then I don't watch Port much.
    His Bio is what Macca would be looking for:

Despite being constantly tagged, he continued to impress as one of Port’s premier midfielders and most influential player at the stoppages, finishing equal best and fairest. His 23 disposals and 10 tackles against Richmond in round 10 was a standout performance. Led the club in total possessions (236 kicks and 222 handballs at an average of 21.8), inside 50s (85) and clearances (79), and was second in contested possessions (212) and third in hard-ball gets (107).

He is also still only 23 (24 this year)

Post Thanks / Like

His Bio is what Macca would be looking for:

Despite being constantly tagged, he continued to impress as one of Port’s premier midfielders and most influential player at the stoppages, finishing equal best and fairest. His 23 disposals and 10 tackles against Richmond in round 10 was a standout performance. Led the club in total possessions (236 kicks and 222 handballs at an average of 21.8), inside 50s (85) and clearances (79), and was second in contested possessions (212) and third in hard-ball gets (107).

He is also still only 23 (24 this year)
    That's all good, but doesn't help us on the spread.

NB. You can't have too many good midfielders