Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Assistant Coaches Moving forward

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Apparently Ashley Prescott was close to landing a job with us last year. He coached Claremont to a Grand Final this year. I went to uni with a Claremont player and he is apparently very popular with the playing group.
    Welcome to WOOF Rocco.

Prescott has had a good 5 odd years running his own ship and I think thats the type of background where the coach brings a lot of his own ideas and experiences on handling different situations.

I also wonder if Neal Daniher would consider an assistant coaching role, or even Dennis Pagan? I know its a step down for them but if they want to coach then I believe the best way is to stay involved and keep working and learning.

Do people think Daniher or Pagan would have something to offer?

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be having a look at Gary O'Donnell's availability. He might think it's time to move on from Essendon after yesterdays appointment.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'd be having a look at Gary O'Donnell's availability. He might think it's time to move on from Essendon after yesterdays appointment.
    certainly agree with that one. Wonder how he would feel.

It's time to shake up our coaching panel. At least one if not two assistants should move on. Some fresh ideas are needed to rejuvenate our startegies and planning. O'Donnell seems a perfect fit to replace Bond if he goes.

I'd also like to get one of these other profile assistants like Hardwick, Sumich, McKenna et al.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    certainly agree with that one. Wonder how he would feel.

It's time to shake up our coaching panel. At least one if not two assistants should move on. Some fresh ideas are needed to rejuvenate our startegies and planning. O'Donnell seems a perfect fit to replace Bond if he goes.

I'd also like to get one of these other profile assistants like Hardwick, Sumich, McKenna et al.
    If Bond moves on then we should move on at least two of the rest. Drain should probably survive.

Post Thanks / Like

I got the feeling that the Essendon administration was remaining pretty stable, but hes had some good experience now and certainly has a reputation as a good football brain

Post Thanks / Like

I feel Mahoney will follow Bailey. That Port School of Learning....

Post Thanks / Like

If Bond moves on then we should move on at least two of the rest. Drain should probably survive.
    Why do you think the futures of Cameron and Wellman should be tied to Bond?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    A few have mentioned Josh Mahoney. Apparently Melbourne, Carlton and Port are interested in him as an assistant coach.

Apparently Ashley Prescott was close to landing a job with us last year. He coached Claremont to a Grand Final this year. I went to uni with a Claremont player and he is apparently very popular with the playing group.
    Good to see you here Rocco.

Prescott sounds like a good match and I agree with the others calling for a bit of a sweep of positions.

I heard Bond asked about all this on 774 a few weeks back and liked that he mentioned he felt there was unfinished business with us and that might keep him here next year (we've offered him a two-year contract haven't we?).

Wouldn't mind seeing Cameron and Wellman go, and would like to get one of the high-profile assistant's possibly on the move, maybe especially Hardwick. Mahoney would also be very welcome.

I don't know much about Rhen (who has parted company with Brisbane) but I'd be interested in getting him as well because of his rucking expertise. What's Matt Rendell doing these days? He was supposed to be the intelligent one in the Saints box when Thomas was there wasn't he?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Toast View Post
    What's Matt Rendell doing these days? He was supposed to be the intelligent one in the Saints box when Thomas was there wasn't he?
    Involved with the Adelaide Crows in some capacity.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Why do you think the futures of Cameron and Wellman should be tied to Bond?
    I don't think either of them are candidates for the senior assistant coaching position and basically if they are not promotable or don't have a particular skill that separates them from other assistant coaches then they should be moved on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post

Did I read somewhere that Shaun Rehn cancelled himself out of coaching to be a farmer?
    Bulldog Pride will never die

Post Thanks / Like

Now that Bond has left for Fremantle, I thought I'd bump this discussion.

Who would you like to see he be replaced by?

I personally wouldn't mind the club going after Michael Voss, as I think he would have a fair bit to offer. Superstar player, three premierships, brownlow medalist, apart of & captained the greatest side ever & played under Leigh Matthews. He's an articulate man with a good knowledge of the game, I think he could teach our group one or two things, especially leadership.

Kevin Sheedy hasn't been appointed to anything yet, has he? I wouldn't mind seeing him being given some sort of role at The Dogs, as if I recall correctly he said he would be interested in helping some of the 'lower' Melbourne clubs.

Thoughts?
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

We need a quality senior assistant coach. I think Gary Ayers has been given the flick by Knights and could perhaps be a consideration. I think Wallis was flicked as well.
    I have always been impressed by Shaun Rehn but I think he might have given up on the footy at the moment.
    Perhaps a guy like Leigh Tudor could be considered.

Post Thanks / Like

Michael Voss? Maybe. He should take on an assistants role if he actually wants to coach...I doubt he will though.

Sheedy? Not sure what we would get out of this except for publicity.

I would like to see us add 2 full-time development coaches - one for the 1st and 2nd year group, one for the 3-5 year players. Collingwood have done this with Scott and Richardson, and some of the things I saw Richardson present this year were fantastic. Anyone out of his program who 'gets it' and is a genuine teacher would be good.

In terms of Bond's replacement, get the best assistant available. Be it Sumich, McKenna, whoever it is - use the Mark Harvey principle on these guys. Remember, Bond was originally offered the Freo assistants role that Harvey ended up taking...now one of them is a coach, and the other an administrator. Basically, find the guy roundly considered the next coach in waiting and make them an offer that they cant refuse.

I have no idea whether Cameron or Wellman are any good really, so I am quite happy for both to stay or go!

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone for John Longmire from the swans?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.