Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Swans out to collar Dogs young gun Mitch Wallis

Quote Originally Posted by marcov View Post
    Mid too late last year some people were writing him off.

Gun.
    Funny how some take issue with some players being lauded as the next big thing after a short period of time however they are quick to write off players straight away like they did with Mitch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Like his Dad, uses his body so well.
    Brett Heady would attest to that

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Same.

Another case of the wrong headline for an article though. There is absolutely nothing in the article to suggest Sydney is in any way paying Wallis extra attention.
    Thought the same thing!
    Not even a Sydney quote

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    I was one.

Happy to say I was wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaytee View Post
    Ditto.
    These comments are beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    Easy to understand why he was being talked down. He is not quick, he is not a great mark, he is not a great kick. He is a natural footballer though.

Hope he can handle a tag. I would imagine Griff would be super happy if Wallis or Libba got the number one tagger!!!
    Yet he still excelled against all the other young footballers who are quick, great marks, great kicks etc. He will be playing against a bunch of these guys over the next few years.

A focus on contested ball this year has helped him work within his limitations.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me clarify. I was extremely worried that his lack of speed and disposal quality wouldn't help him.
    From this season, he has should he can get the ball at AFL level and his disposal has improved.
    He may still not make it as an A grader but he looked miles from it last year. He also suffered in comparison with Libba.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marcov View Post
    Mid too late last year some people were writing him off.

Gun.
    Not sure about writing him off.
    At the time the concesses seemed to be he needed a bit more time to get up to speed with the game.
    Which he had and has managed to do.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

The Swans will probably try to put pressure on Wallis and Libba but I can,t see it working too well , not for the full 4 quarters , if Sydney go into the game with the mindset to tag 4 or 5 players they will find themselves drawn into a contest they don,t really want to be a part of

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Same.

Another case of the wrong headline for an article though. There is absolutely nothing in the article to suggest Sydney is in any way paying Wallis extra attention.
    I had a little chuckle at this, myself.

I'm sure they just neglected to leave out the quotes where representatives from Sydney came out and said "we're really looking forward to keeping the dogs in their kennel", or "we're going to keep them begging for for forward opportunities" or................OK, I'll fnish up and let myself out.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a real challenge for suporters to keep a level head in terms of expectation when it comes to high draft picks these days.

There is a consensus ingrained amongst social media users, traditional media readers and watchers that is born from unrealistic expectation on young players due to the exposure the game receives.

Wallis is as good a chance of having a slump in the second half of the year, as he is picking up the pieces again at the start of next year. The reality is he's a kid, and still has a lot to learn as the game evolves on a yearly basis.

His true test will come when the coach pushes him to start using the ball more creatively. He's demonstrated he knows how to get it, and after doing that on a consistent basis he'll need to show he can do that consistently across a season, copping a tag while trying to be more adventurous with how he uses it.

I'm happy with his progress, and I'm not assigning any level of future expectation on him right now.

Post Thanks / Like

In fairness he didn't just not look A-Grade he was truly horrid across several games preseason and last year. Consistently coughed up the ball and seemingly never in the right place. Can't blame the fairly strong negativity from many people despite the fact it was (i hindsight) way to early to formulate an opinion. It's been an extraordinairy turnaround this year to last. Whatever clicked he just looks a new player. Good luck to him and hope he plays 300 great games with us!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Superdog View Post
    In fairness he didn't just not look A-Grade he was truly horrid across several games preseason and last year. Consistently coughed up the ball and seemingly never in the right place. Can't blame the fairly strong negativity from many people despite the fact it was (i hindsight) way to early to formulate an opinion. It's been an extraordinairy turnaround this year to last. Whatever clicked he just looks a new player. Good luck to him and hope he plays 300 great games with us!
    Well in the case of preseason this year and last, he was probably completely knackered each and every time he touched the ball. Preseason games can't be trusted with respect to form, as you don't know what each player is doing on a weekly basis in terms of physical work away from games.

I didn't see enough of him at Willy last year, apart from what I read and saw on the box. All I'll say is that from the games I saw there was sufficient evidence to not write the kid off, like some people did, especially since he was only 18 at the time.

It's still too early to formulate an opinion on him IMO. He's the second or third midfield grinder we have in our side behind Boyd, Cross and Liberatore (though at this rate he'll take over the latter two shortly), so he's not going to come under much scrutiny for a while, especially when opposition midfields know the receiver he's giving it to isn't likely to hurt them.

His big test will come when Boyd and Cross retire, and a defensive midfielder decides to mark him on a regular basis.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Definately a natural footballer - just has that innate knowledge of where to run, and when. The ability to find the football at AFL level 25+ times in a game is pretty rare in a 19 year old. His tackling is already first rate.
    I have started to notice how often both Wallis and Libba are in the area of the ball together and how often the ball goes from one to the other. I recall reading that was the case in school and TAC footy that they were the dynamic duo but it has already begun to appear in their AFL careers as well. I like it, i think they are both natural footballers and work really well together naturally.
    My life is a very complicated drinking game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Bum View Post
    I have started to notice how often both Wallis and Libba are in the area of the ball together and how often the ball goes from one to the other. I recall reading that was the case in school and TAC footy that they were the dynamic duo but it has already begun to appear in their AFL careers as well. I like it, i think they are both natural footballers and work really well together naturally.
    As long as they're not too predictable, because opposition teams will work this out pretty quickly and ensure they're stationed between the two.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Still staggered some wrote a 19 y/o off, takes time for young players to develop and settle.
    He seems more poised and polished compared to last year.

It's more staggering when you think that he was only 18 when he was being written off.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Superdog View Post
    Can't blame the fairly strong negativity from many people despite the fact it was (i hindsight) way to early to formulate an opinion.
    I can, considering they were having a go at an 18 year old.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.