Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trick of the light, or just another Stevie J trick?

Quote Originally Posted by paulv View Post
    Oh for heavens sake Slim, lighten up a bit.
    While it may be life and death, it is still just a game.
    Have a bit of fun...jeeezz!

It was a very well written piece, that made for a great read. It demonstrated both Murph's intelligence, and his understanding of the game, along with due respect for an enormously talented opponent.

Don't know which line he might want to go down once he retires, but I reckon Murph sounds like he has the makings of either a decent coach, or a better than average media performer.
    All for having fun and all in all I don't mind the piece. The reason it gave me "the shits", was the timing.

We lost a very winnable game last week and Stevie J performance was a big reason for that, that's all.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

I follow him on Twitter and he has Stevie J as his profile picture.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    Have another read of the article Slim.

He had him only when he was forward of centre. As it should be
    The problem being EJ was that we allowed StevieJ to play unaccountable football away from their attack. A costly mistake by the MC.as he was clearly best afield. Pushing Murph forward could have given us a better attacking option.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I follow him on Twitter and he has Stevie J as his profile picture.
    Stevie J also tweeted back to him about it.

They're in love.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Stevie J also tweeted back to him about it.

They're in love.
    Jake King tweet to Bob was a classic. Went along the lines of...

'I like V8s, you like weird shit...we should do a pilot for a sitcom. '

Post Thanks / Like

Its not arrogance that gives me the sh1t's. It is arrogance with nothing to back it up, or to earn it.
    Some times arrogance is a disguise or cover for self doubt. I don't think that is necessarily the case with Stevie J. He is just bloody brilliant, and he knows it. I am pretty sure the self belief is a serious part of what makes him as good as he is.
    Good luck to him I say.
    Might worry for him a bit once age takes that brilliance away. Hopefully then the arrogance is not all he is left with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Murphy is way too nice to admit it, but the way I read it, the things Stevie said to Murph, were from the mouth of an arrogant person who is up himself.
    This bit sums it up for me.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Bob Murphy

Playing on Steve Johnson is an event for the ages, and one that can age a tagger.

'GRANDPA, tell us again about the day you played on Stevie J …''
    When people complain that there's no characters left in the game, I sometimes wonder if, for some, to be a character you have to play the fool. My answer to anyone holding up this argument is simple: Stevie J.
    Here is a character who is no fool. If he were a cocktail he'd be three parts genius and one part rascal.
    Don't know Stevie J from a bar of soap, but from what I've seen in interviews, I'm not sure "genius" is a word I'd attach to him.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sort of with Slim on this one, I'd rather a bit less "I love Stevie J" and a bit more "Jeez I'm p***ed off we dropped that game".

Post Thanks / Like

Life is too short to not stop and enjoy yourself occasionally guys. Lighten up.

Post Thanks / Like

I caught the tail end of Mark Stevens & the host of AFL 360 discussing this last night, they both loved the article & Bob Murphys articles in general. The topic heading at the bottom of the page was "Bob Murphy - my night with Stevie J".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suz 32 View Post
    I caught the tail end of Mark Stevens & the host of AFL 360 discussing this last night, they both loved the article & Bob Murphys articles in general. The topic heading at the bottom of the page was "Bob Murphy - my night with Stevie J".
    You mean Robbo
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

For insight into banter/interaction on the ground, this was one of Bob's better articles (and I like pretty much all of them)

Opinion pieces....or more explorations of ideas/experiences don't have to be liked by everyone - I've got no problem with people taking issue with timing etc, but I wouldn't share that view. It was a great read IMV, and I've no doubt he's hurting as much as anyone that we dropped that game.

Also liked the 'I'll let you keep hitting me if you can explain the mo to me' earlier this year after playing Melbourne re: Dunn.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a little biased because I am good mates with Stevie J's sister and brother-in-law, but I reckon he is fantastic for the game. His vision and awareness are top drawer, and his courage and determination are extremely underrated - the amount of work he put in to be not only fit but be able to contribure significantly to the GF win last year, after badly hurting his knee in the PF, was amazing. And only Lenny Hayes has a better record of completely destroying us with monotunous regularity. I don't mind his cheeky little comments as well - let's face it, he backs them up.

I'd love to have such a player at our club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Or someone just having a joke/being a smart arse.
    My read on it. Not much point being stupidly arrogant on-field unless you can back it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    The problem being EJ was that we allowed StevieJ to play unaccountable football away from their attack. A costly mistake by the MC.as he was clearly best afield. Pushing Murph forward could have given us a better attacking option.
    Dreamin' mate. He's a halfback now and is likely to stay there. We've all gotta let go.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    For insight into banter/interaction on the ground, this was one of Bob's better articles (and I like pretty much all of them)

Opinion pieces....or more explorations of ideas/experiences don't have to be liked by everyone - I've got no problem with people taking issue with timing etc, but I wouldn't share that view. It was a great read IMV, and I've no doubt he's hurting as much as anyone that we dropped that game.

Also liked the 'I'll let you keep hitting me if you can explain the mo to me' earlier this year after playing Melbourne re: Dunn.
    With umpires miked up, cameras from every angle, this is the one area of the game we never get to see, so I'm very thankful to Murph for letting us in for a peek.