Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Werribee

Post Thanks / Like

Werribee

Got this from the club

Media Announcement

21 September, 2007

The LeasePlan Western Bulldogs, after significant consultation with the Werribee Football Club, has decided to end its current partnership with Werribee FC at the conclusion of the 2007 season.

The Western Bulldogs will now consider its options in relation to developing an alignment with another VFL club.

The Western Bulldogs would like to acknowledge the outstanding relationship the two clubs have had over the past six years. The achievements that have been made since 2001 would have not have resulted if not for the partnership.

The Western Bulldogs are excited about the future and the opportunity to maximise the development of its young players. Western Bulldogs Chief Executive Campbell Rose said “this decision will allow us to move forward into the next phase of our club development. I would like to personally thank Werribee for their support during the alignment and I wish them all the best for the future.”
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

macca028 Guest

Re: Werribee

Great, now lets hope they can start there own VFL team, the footscray bulldogs and can maybe play at the whitten ovel. Atleast you will see our listed players playing where they are best suited to develop instead of spending time in the werribee seconds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca028 View Post
    Great, now lets hope they start there own VFL team, maybe the footscray bulldogs and can maybe play at the whitten ovel. Atleast you will see our listed players playing where they are best suited to develop instead of spending time in the werribee seconds.
    Depends whether or not we align with Williamstown, who the coach is & what philosophies are adopted.

I would imagine if we align with Willy we will still see a situation where a coach is endeavouring to win games of footy rather than developing WB listed youngsters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Depends whether or not we align with Williamstown, who the coach is & what philosophies are adopted.

I would imagine if we align with Willy we will still see a situation where a coach is endeavouring to win games of footy rather than developing WB listed youngsters.
    Well the pies left Willy because they wanted 'full control over the development of their young players' so you can only assume that Willy were trying to win, rather than develop the Pies' kids.

In the end that's what you'd expect really. Just hopefully it can be better than at Weribee.

Does Willy have a FF who dominates like Pods?

Post Thanks / Like

Id love us to make the Footscray Bulldogs.. at Whitten Oval, id go visit more often haha..evening though im out in the west near werribee i wasnt interested in going to watch them i guess. But watching Footscray at the kennel would be awesome!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Well the pies left Willy because they wanted 'full control over the development of their young players' so you can only assume that Willy were trying to win, rather than develop the Pies' kids.

In the end that's what you'd expect really. Just hopefully it can be better than at Weribee.

Does Willy have a FF who dominates like Pods?

I dont think that the Willliamstown allignment was necessarily bad for Collingwood-it's just that the 'pies had the money to fund their own VFL team and therefore gain even more control over the development of their listed players. The development of Collingwoods younger players this year has ben spectacular, and while this is in large part due to the work of Brad Scott, the cooperation between Williamstown and Collingwwod is also largely responsible.

This cooperation has been missing in our allingment for at least two years. Maybe the fact that Colingwood packed more punch than us helped cow Willy a few times, but is we allign with them, as seems likely, then it couldnt be any worse than the Werribee situation.

All in all though I would far prefer us to have our own VFL team with complete control over the development of our players. At least then we wouldnt be expecting blokes to jump from VFL reserve level straight to AFL as happened a couple of times this year. Also I have a hankering to stand on the terraces at Whitten Oval and barrack for Footscray again!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Also I have a hankering to stand on the terraces at Whitten Oval and barrack for Footscray again!
    Amen brother!

Footscray clap-clap-clap, Footscray clap-clap-clap, Footscray clap-clap-clap!

Post Thanks / Like

This from the Hun

Bulldogs sever VFL link
    22 September 2007 Herald Sun
    David Hastie

THE Western Bulldogs have severed ties with VFL affiliate Werribee, ending its six-year association with the club.

The Bulldogs board met yesterday and decided not to see out its contract with the Tigers, which was to run until the end of 2008.

The move comes after Collingwood announced earlier this week it was splitting with its VFL side Williamstown and would establish its own team in the competition.

Despite reports of a rift between the clubs, Bulldogs board member and former player Simon Garlick denied the claims and said the club had left on good terms with Werribee.

He said the club was yet to decide whether it would align itself with another VFL club or follow the Magpies' lead and form a stand-alone side, possibly to be called Footscray.

The club would consider all options, Garlick said.

"It's about what best suits our development for our playing group," Garlick said last night.

"Geelong has had success going down that path this year but it doesn't necessarily mean you have to go down that path.

"I don't know if it's something that will happen straight away, but it's definitely not beyond the realms of possibility down the track."

The Bulldogs will look at teaming with Williamstown in a bid to maintain its VFL presence in the west.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    This from the Hun

He said the club was yet to decide whether it would align itself with another VFL club or follow the Magpies' lead and form a stand-alone side, possibly to be called Footscray.

I would almost spend more time at VFL if i could see Footscray running around again, with the old song and colours.

I'm all for it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

How many players would we need on the list if we were to field our own VFL side. I can imagine that we would have to have at least the full compliment of rookies. It would be great to have another reason to go to the Whitten Oval and I am sure the club would do well out of the facilities that are being built as well as the retail outlets and bulldogs shop.

I wonder what extra expenses are required to run a second team? Coaches, trainers? maybe extra players? I wonder what else?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    How many players would we need on the list if we were to field our own VFL side. I can imagine that we would have to have at least the full compliment of rookies. It would be great to have another reason to go to the Whitten Oval and I am sure the club would do well out of the facilities that are being built as well as the retail outlets and bulldogs shop.

I wonder what extra expenses are required to run a second team? Coaches, trainers? maybe extra players? I wonder what else?
    From my understanding that already was a requirement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

I read recently that it would cost $1/2 Mil to field a reserves side.

We would have the bare 44 on the Bulldogs list (either 2 x vets list & 4 x rookies or 6 x rookies) and the other spots would be filled by top-up players from country/metro leagues, Christin Macri style.

It's a good chance for guys who missed out on getting drafted and then went back to the bush to get to spend a season being watched by clubs. Geelong got Matthew Egan this way and rookied another kid (who's name escapes me at the moment) who is likely to be elevated after this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I read recently that it would cost $1/2 Mil to field a reserves side.

We would have the bare 44 on the Bulldogs list (either 2 x vets list & 4 x rookies or 6 x rookies) and the other spots would be filled by top-up players from country/metro leagues, Christin Macri style.

It's a good chance for guys who missed out on getting drafted and then went back to the bush to get to spend a season being watched by clubs. Geelong got Matthew Egan this way and rookied another kid (who's name escapes me at the moment) who is likely to be elevated after this year.
    As great as it would be and romantic too. We just don't have that kind of money to spare.
    It makes much more sense to align with Willy.
    I agree that a stand alone team would be fantastic for the club, supporters and for the player development, but I can't see it happening just yet.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

After barracking for VFA Willy in the 80s as a kid, I'd be rapt if we had a partnership with them again.

Didn't Danny Del Re start there? Still have memories of Chops Rickman sending through post height boomers from a mile out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    After barracking for VFA Willy in the 80s as a kid, I'd be rapt if we had a partnership with them again.

Didn't Danny Del Re start there? Still have memories of Chops Rickman sending through post height boomers from a mile out.
    Got me thinking. Who else played for the Doggies & Seagulls?

Terry Wheeler, Barry Round, Ron James, Stan Davidson to mention a few.