Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chris Grant in AFL Hall of Fame

Just been thinking about it- Do people think Chris Grant would have been inducted into the of fame so quickly had he have taken the money and gone to Port Adelaide?

Personally I don't think he would have, I think rejecting the money and staying at the Bulldogs added to his standing in the game, which goes to show that there is so many things to factor in when considering big offers from other clubs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Just been thinking about it- Do people think Chris Grant would have been inducted into the of fame so quickly had he have taken the money and gone to Port Adelaide?

Personally I don't think he would have, I think rejecting the money and staying at the Bulldogs added to his standing in the game, which goes to show that there is so many things to factor in when considering big offers from other clubs.
    Had Grant taken the money, he would have been able to play CHB and would be recognised as the best CHB of his generation. He could easily have ended up a 3 time premiership captain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Had Grant taken the money, he would have been able to play CHB and would be recognised as the best CHB of his generation. He could easily have ended up a 3 time premiership captain.
    That may well have happened, although I can't see Port Adelaide winning any of those flags that Brisbane won. Yet despite winning a Brownlow, 2 premierships, and playing 300 games Gavin Wanganeen isn't in the hall of fame.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Yes he could have and they didn't because the AFL are only really interested in the bigger clubs.

Hird, Voss, Buckley and Riscuitto all went in last year.
    I rate Hird and Voss in the same league as Grant, but not Buckley and Riscuito.

Opportunity and profile to each players respective clubs has a lot to do with things in this instance, though I can't help but think Chris has been severely dudded by the fact he hadn't won a premiership (whilst being unlucky enough to play for us ).

The guy kicked 554 goals in his career, and played at least 40% of his games in the backline. He came second in the Brownlow in 1996 as a genuine CHB and polled the most votes in 1997 as a CHF, and since those years no KPP's have registered anything close to that (and, prior to his achievements the Brownlow was already a midfielders award, much the same as it is now).

He also had by far the best left and right foot pass after taking a leading mark over 40m in the league the game has ever seen.

He was unlucky to have to contend for the best CHF position behind Wanking Carey, as he was the best ever in that position.

Anyway, great effort to be inducted Chris and you deserve a lot more credit than you receive for your excellent career.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent that he was honoured alongside the great Graham Cornes whose four games for North Melbourne rocketed him into this bracket of champions.

Post Thanks / Like

I would be happy to have any of those other players mentioned in the red white and blue. Except Buckley who I feel only ever played for himself. Strangely enough I quite like him in his current guise.

Great point on Wanganeen too. Wonder who's toes he stood on.........

Post Thanks / Like

You'd think Wanganeen will get a nod at some point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Well done Chris. My favourite ever sportsperson.
    Me too. I consider myself lucky to have seen him play.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Below is a link to Chris Grant's H.O.F speech as well as an interview with Grant, Mark Fine and Rohan Connolly.

You will need to scroll through the range of interviews but they are well worth it.

Grant speaks on a range of topics from the 1989 merger, why he refused the Port offer, prelim finals and the brownlow.

Truly a great individual.

Well done Chris.

http://www.sen.com.au/audioplayer/Au...Induction/4903

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    You'd think Wanganeen will get a nod at some point.
    If Wanganeen gets the nod, and he probably should, then Akermanis would get it first, you would think... 300 games, Brownlow, and 3 flags.

Well done Chris Grant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shorty View Post
    If Wanganeen gets the nod, and he probably should, then Akermanis would get it first, you would think... 300 games, Brownlow, and 3 flags.

Well done Chris Grant.
    Jason Akermanis should definitely be inducted as a Hall of Fame player, at the earliest possible chance.

I'm fairly clear on the reasons why he was outed by both of the AFL clubs he played for, and I have very little doubt he isn't accepted as a favourable personality as far as the clubs that outed him are concerned, and in some cases the type of person the AFL would like pushing their barrell.

All that aside, he was one of the most sublimely talented players the game has seen over the last 25 years, and his ability to influence a serious game in that time was only eclipsed by a handfull of players.

I don't like the guy, but he should get the nod immediately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    Excellent that he was honoured alongside the great Graham Cornes whose four games for North Melbourne rocketed him into this bracket of champions.
    Bit disrespectful to Cornes, his contribution to football in South Australia is unquestioned.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Bit disrespectful to Cornes, his contribution to football in South Australia is unquestioned.
    Agree we never saw his best in this state but really he is no Chris Grant and yes I am a gusher about the great man too!!!
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    Agree we never saw his best in this state but really he is no Chris Grant and yes I am a gusher about the great man too!!!
    364 games in the SANFL from the late 60s to the mid 80s (SANFL was a strong league in those days), a SANFL flag as a player and 2 as coach, 21 State of Origin games as a player and SA coach for 8 years, twice All-Australian coach while at Glenelg, inargural Crows Coach... agree he's no Chris Grant but probably an overdue induction if anything.