Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs push for Templeton fame

Jake Niall June 17, 2012

THE Western Bulldogs are pushing for one of football's forgotten stars, century goalkicker and Brownlow medallist, Kelvin Templeton, to be included in the AFL Hall of Fame ''sooner rather than later''.
    Templeton is one of only four players to have won both the Brownlow and the Coleman medals - others are Tony Lockett, Malcolm Blight and Bernie Quinlan, with Collingwood's Des Fothergill winning the goalkicking (pre-Coleman medal) and Brownlow.

But he is the only one of that group who has been overlooked by the Hall of Fame. Templeton finished up as a player at Melbourne in 1986, having crossed from Footscray in a deal that saw him and Collingwood's Peter Moore join the Demons on huge contracts.

While Templeton has been nominated by the Dogs, he has not had his case pushed strongly in public forums and is not as closely identified with the club as other players who spent their entire careers at Footscray/Western Bulldogs. Bulldogs chief executive Simon Garlick said yesterday the club would be ''strong advocates'' for Templeton's elevation to the Hall of Fame.

''We obviously would be strong advocates for Kelvin's elevation,'' he said.
    ''We're sure it will happen at some stage, given he's one of the rare players who've won both the Brownlow and the Coleman and was a phenomenal player for our football club.
    ''We'd be keen for that to be sooner rather than later.''
    Garlick said Templeton was in the club's own Hall of Fame.
    Templeton, who served as chief executive of the Sydney Swans, has been attending Bulldogs games regularly this year.

Today, Templeton is expected to join several past best and fairest winners in forming a guard of honour for the late Charlie Sutton.
    Ex-Bulldogs coach Terry Wallace, who upset the administration when he walked out of the club in 2002, will be among the former best and fairest winners who will be part of the line honouring Sutton at today's game against Port Adelaide.
    In Sunday Age opinion, I assess why some players seemingly worthy of Hall of Fame inclusion have yet to be admitted.
    ''The politics of it does get in the way,'' Wallace says.
    He added that once he had left Hawthorn, the chances of him later making that club's team of the century (2001) ''was virtually zero''.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs push for Templeton fame

Once more a Bulldogs player is last to enter the Hall of Fame when others with equal achievements have before him.

Templeton was one of my favourite players and its great to see he is still a Doggies fan (attending matches etc).

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I stilll remember THAT game ....... most have to be satified with 15 minutes of fame (if they are lucky). For Kelvin it was 15 goals of fame !!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    I stilll remember THAT game ....... most have to be satified with 15 minutes of fame (if they are lucky). For Kelvin it was 15 goals of fame !!!!
    I was there that day, what a match. Here are some memories for you

Amazing scenes when Templeton took a screamer to kick his 15th. Kids on the ground, the coach on the ground and the game hadn't finished.

Post Thanks / Like

What year did Des Fothergill win the VFL goalkincking?

Strongly supprt KT's entry into the AFL Hall Of Fame. It's a joke that he isnt in it already. He was twice the player than many of the players who are there. He was a champion who was overlooked far too quickly.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    What year did Des Fothergill win the VFL goalkincking?

Strongly supprt KT's entry into the AFL Hall Of Fame. It's a joke that he isnt in it already. He was twice the player than many of the players who are there. He was a champion who was overlooked far too quickly.
    If only KT could reach the lofty heights of Mark Bickley!

Post Thanks / Like

My first ever favourite player!

Post Thanks / Like

Cordy reminds me of KT.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Can't believe he is not in
    Never forget being a devastated 13 y/o when I'd heard he did his knee.
    Nearly as devastated in not going to that memorable 1978 day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    If only KT could reach the lofty heights of Mark Bickley!

Or Graeme Cornes. Maybe KT's mistake was being born too soon and not playing for an interstate club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Or Graeme Cornes. Maybe KT's mistake was being born too soon and not playing for an interstate club.
    KT's mistake is not having the SA mafia pushing your case. Apologies for the disrespect and the mixed metaphor, but Cornes is not half the player KT's shoelaces are.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes he is. But no more than half

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Cordy reminds me of KT.
    I can see what you mean. The post '81 version of KT. The more muscular and somehow taller looking KT. He looks and kicks like Linsday (I have no idea why we called KT Lindsay, but we did. I asked a mate once and he said that he looked like he should be called Lindsay).

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    Yes he is. But no more than half
    Of ONE bootlace!!!

Post Thanks / Like

And FWIW;

Leading Goalkicker Medal

Awarded prior to 1955 to the scorer of most goals in the home and away season.

1946 Des Fothergill Collingwood 63

From; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leading...alkicker_Medal

Although he was overtaken by Bill Brittingham during the finals. So Fothergill doesnt technicallly have a 'Coleman' medal because he played before Coleman did but he was the VFL leading goalkicker in 1946 even though he didnt kick the most goals in that season.

I'm imaganing a Brad Johnson type?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    KT's mistake is not having the SA mafia pushing your case. Apologies for the disrespect and the mixed metaphor, but Cornes is not half the player KT's shoelaces are.

Ignorant comment.