Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lucy Cornes in Twitter attack after Will Minson offends Port Adelaide players wit

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    It doesn't matter what you think of Eddie, he never forgets that, so he's happy to piss everyone off to ensure that Collingwood fans and members are happy, and with that simple philosophy, turned around a basketcase and mobilised a massive dormant following.
    ...like suspending Shaw and Didak throughout a finals series? Pretty certain the members weren't too pleased about that one.

Anyone who watched the game and the reaction from Danyle Pearce knew Minson had done the wrong thing. At the time I assumed he had used some type of racial taunt which turned out to be incorrect...He should have kept his mouth shut and had let his team-mates, the footy club and the supporters down.

As to 'bowing to the AFL', just because the masses are screaming 'blood' doesn't mean you should give it to them.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lucy Cornes in Twitter attack after Will Minson offends Port Adelaide players wit

An open letter to everyone I ever played cricket against I am sorry for asking if your mum found my watch under the bed or to remind you that your girl said you are out of milk,or bed springs need oil as i kept your neighbours up all night. Are you all serious its called a sledge because thats ALL it is its not called being honest its sledging!!!! oh and I love your new cereal by the way!!!!
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    ...like suspending Shaw and Didak throughout a finals series? Pretty certain the members weren't too pleased about that one.
    Fifteen years, 3 grannies, a flag and 100,000 members later, Eddie can do whatever he likes.

Also, Eddie's not stupid -- it was borderline illegal what Shaw did (in some extreme cases, soccer players have done time in Europe for similar gambling offences) and the club couldn't suspend him fast enough to ensure it didn't go too much further.

I also notice that Collingwood decided on an arbitrary number of weeks (with some arbitrary number of weeks of that suspension suspended) that made sure he got back in time for the Prelim and Grannie.

Post Thanks / Like

ps. Patrick Smith and KB were calling for a $50,000 fine for Will. As a comparison, Maxwell got $10,000 and Shaw $20,000 for borderline match-fixing.

The world has gone mad.

Post Thanks / Like

We need to have a club imposed blanket no teasing rule, that also should include no hair pulling, and no talking about people behind their back. Any breaking of these rules should be punished with detention, a one match suspension, or some time on the naughty chair.

We as a club need to be more concerned with the feelings of people who are sensitive.

This should include changing our best and fairest award to a participation award whereby every player gets a small trophy, it's not fair on the players who attend on the night and don't win anything, it could have a negative long term effect on their sense of self worth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

Anyone who watched the game and the reaction from Danyle Pearce knew Minson had done the wrong thing. At the time I assumed he had used some type of racial taunt which turned out to be incorrect...He should have kept his mouth shut and had let his team-mates, the footy club and the supporters down.

As to 'bowing to the AFL', just because the masses are screaming 'blood' doesn't mean you should give it to them.
    Which he only did because they lied to him and made him look like a complete and utter dickhead on national TV. He had absolutely no intention of suspending them to that point. Unfortunately for Didak and Shaw the only thing Eddie cares about more than Collingwood's members wishes are his own public image.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Which he only did because they lied to him and made him look like a complete and utter dickhead on national TV. He had absolutely no intention of suspending them to that point. Unfortunately for Didak and Shaw the only thing Eddie cares about more than Collingwood's members wishes are his own public image.
    Tache you and Lantern conveniently forgot about Collingwood suspending Wellingham for 2 matches. He missed a rehab session. Collingwood didn't worry about hurting their members feelings by suspending Wellingham nor should our Club worry about upsetting a few supporters on a forum by suspending Will.

Post Thanks / Like

Thread has been interesting (and generally funny).

I find the "mother comment" generally soft and I think Pearce needs a spoonful of cement.

Its a "Mum Joke" its not like its the most ground-breaking shocking insult to be thrown around. Milne called Joseph a "Weak C---" the other week when he took his eyes off the ball. That didn't get mention (but sure did get picked up on the umps mic)

An insult is an insult. Yes Racism goes the step further but for mine a "Mum Joke" should stay in the insult category on the field and not off it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    Well it obviously is floating around in his brain somewhere

Put up your hand if you now suspect that Sherman is or was a Racist? I do.
    My hand is down. He's not the sharpest knife in the draw, but I don't think he's racist.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    The comment was stupid and childish and that's it. Comments like this and worse would happen many times in 1 game alone. Maybe I'm old fashioned but ignoring or just stepping up a gear to rub it in your opponents face would be a better retort than lashing out at a Mumma joke. I do agree with the prior comments to Kane being his downfall, had nothing happened back then this would not have even been a headline and Will would have been lining up against Huddo Saturday.
    Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I guess this is the world we live in now.
    And doesn't it suck?
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I've just viewed Will's response and I have a greater appreciation for him off the field. I thought his response was sincere and he clearly only blames himself and genuinely wants to make amends to Danyle Pearce and his family.

He had made a mistake or two along the way but I think he is a great bloke at the club.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Furtanken View Post
    Hope you don't mind, I'm 'borrowing' that. Good job.

I hope you don't take offence at my borrowing it before asking for and receiving permission!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I've just viewed Will's response and I have a greater appreciation for him off the field. I thought his response was sincere and he clearly only blames himself and genuinely wants to make amends to Danyle Pearce and his family.

He had made a mistake or two along the way but I think he is a great bloke at the club.
    I agree, but it's not as though the club has made any point of this and that's what makes me frustrated.

We've allowed every player, family member, journalist, cat, dog and bird to voice their opinion on how Minson is a "serial" sledger, an all-round bad guy etc etc.

We haven't defended his character at all, and on the back of what? A silly mistake that has been widely blown out of proportion because Pearce is mentally soft. (Maybe that reads harsh to some, but let's face it, Pearce can't cope with hard tags let alone sledging).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Hope you don't mind, I'm 'borrowing' that. Good job.

I hope you don't take offence at my borrowing it before asking for and receiving permission!
    Go for it good sir.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

Half agree.

Most of that to me seemed like Fantasia and our spin doctor's had a hand up his backside in much the same way they are AFL puppets.

However, he is not stupid, Will know how to handle himself and gave a measured, respectable response. Should be enough to keep hem off his back. The media were a ravenous pack of snakes and he dealt with them well.