Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lucy Cornes in Twitter attack after Will Minson offends Port Adelaide players wit

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    Free kicks for sling tackles, reports for rough play, suspensions for a sledge, FFS Boyd got nailed today for a fair straight on bump. The game is known as GayFL in the Rugby states and it is obvious why.
    Yes we all know the rugby states are full of ingnorant folk, but let's not get off track.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lucy Cornes in Twitter attack after Will Minson offends Port Adelaide players wit

If there was a journo race to the bottom of the barrel , he'd be in a photo finish with Greg Denham and Lace.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    Free kicks for sling tackles, reports for rough play, suspensions for a sledge, FFS Boyd got nailed today for a fair straight on bump. The game is known as GayFL in the Rugby states and it is obvious why.
    Yeah but they love Rugby League so their opinions are invalid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Yeah but they love Rugby League so their opinions are invalid.
    I love Rugby League.

Several people on this forum love Rugby League.

Watch yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    I love Rugby League.

Several people on this forum love Rugby League.

Watch yourself.
    Sorry, it was paraphrasing a quote, known only to myself, to be trite ("You're wearing a Tool t-shirt, so your opinion is invalid"). I've got nothing against Rugby League, it's fine. I hate people using terms like GayFL to slag off other games, (a term which illustrates a narrowness of mind that goes way further than the hatred of a game), particularly if your idea of tough is 2 guys standing there punching the crap out of each other or someone being king hit, on a field, in front of kids. There is nothing wrong with any ballgame per se, especially not to the point of putting energy into actively hating them.
    But thanks for the warning.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the NRL.
    Our game has never been tougher, faster and it's folly to say it's softer than it was.
    The 70's and 80's were full of cheap shots and the games were generally ordinary.
    They hit harder and the players are bigger now and it's just nonsense saying the game's soft

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I like the NRL.
    Our game has never been tougher, faster and it's folly to say it's softer than it was.
    The 70's and 80's were full of cheap shots and the games were generally ordinary.
    They hit harder and the players are bigger now and it's just nonsense saying the game's soft
    I am pretty sure he means the rules are soft:

* You can't bump (well you can but it has to be very precise, on the side and being hard to execute, players don't bother)

* You can't touch a player in the back, and I mean touch not push

* No point in diving in a pack you will be pinged for holding it.

* can't go for a contested mark and touch a players arms or even out body them.

But You can:

* Throw the ball like rugby when in a scrimage (sorry a pack)

* No need for correct disposal when tackled, just drop it
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

* You can't bump (well you can but it has to be very precise, on the side and being hard to execute, players don't bother)

But You can:

Spot on, the powers-that-be are doing their best to make it soft.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Look. There is nothing soft about belting someone, that's not what I'm talking about.
    However bitch slapping someone and then the player hitting the deck over it, is soft.

But as BAD says, it's more about the rules and mentality of today's game. I think banning certain things can effect other areas. Eg. I doubt anyone use to "sledge" Robbie Muir back in the day. Fast forward to trial by video and it becomes a tactic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I thought Pearce made a complaint to the umpires on the spot, who then reported it to whoever it goes to. Did I read that wrong?

I thought I heard that an umpire overheard Minson's remark and lodged a report but from this article http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more...-1226398759659 it's unsure whether Pearce complained to the ump or the umpire took it upon himself to report Will.

An AFL official today would only confirm that a match day umpire had reported Minson.

It's not clear whether the umpire heard any comments or acted on a complaint from Pearce or any other Port Adelaide player.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

All that uncertainty over what actually happened on the day, and Will's reputation still gets dragged through the mud.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure I read an article where Pearce's Dad was saying how proud he was his son stood up and said he wasn't going to take it and made the complaint?
    Not sure running to umpires and match officials is exactly standing up for yourself and your family?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

But You can:

Probably agree with that. I think A rules commitee is just trying to justify it's existence.
    The game in it's context has never been tougher

Post Thanks / Like

Probably agree with that. I think A rules commitee is just trying to justify it's existence.
    I understand the rule changes have augmentated the "softness appearance" of the game and the adaption of the players evolvement to those rules doesn't help. But in what way has the game never been tougher? With the exception of being mentally tougher.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree the game is tougher, the rules committe and the AFL, are trying like mad to make this game very close to International Rules style.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.