Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What happened to the Bulldogs?

Dan Lonergan

It's time for Brendan McCartney to decide what direction he wants the Bulldogs to go in.
    In the split round 13, this wonderful AFL season was again turned on its head with a number of upsets. Those results included North Melbourne, after weeks of indifferent form, beating a top four contender in Adelaide to be one of five teams on six wins and only out of the eight on percentage.

Another shock result in some circles was Brisbane, which started the round in 15th spot, demolishing at the Docklands the disappointing Western Bulldogs, who were 13th. I tipped the Lions but I was in the minority, even though they were close to full-strength with the return of the great Simon Black and another veteran Ash McGrath. Not only that, they were also celebrating the club's inaugural Hall of Fame inductions that night.

The Dogs on the other hand had lost Will Minson to a club suspension, which meant the Lions' hard-bodied ruckman Ben Hudson - a former Dog himself - would have a decided advantage against the Bulldogs' greenhorn ruckmen Jordan Roughead, Ayce Cordy and debutant Tom Campbell.

I believed Brisbane had more outside midfielders and would be too fast for the Bulldogs, who rely too much on inside mids and have gone from being one of the fastest sides in the league to in my opinion, one of the slowest. So I couldn't understand why hardly anyone had picked the Lions and that their odds to win were well over $3.

More http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-06-2...?section=sport

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What happened to the Bulldogs?

Found this to refelect alot of my views on where we are at, especially around leg speed/outside run and spread and delivery inside 50. Good analysis without the sensationalist traits of other outlets.

Post Thanks / Like

Sums it up pretty well doesn't he?

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly does - tagging Griffen observation spot on. Without him we have no line breaking midfielders capable of delivering 50+m accurately by foot. Dalhaus has the speed without the penetration and maybe the tank at this point although he is potentially anything. As others have said something we definitely need at draft/trade time. I dont understand why Sherman isn't at least tried in this role, he certainly has the speed. Others may have the answer.

Post Thanks / Like

Very good summation... I was going to start a thread asking the very question that Dan raised, 'What do we stand for?'.... I have no *!*!*!*!ing idea anymore.

About time a bit of heat came on us... It's going to be a very interesting last 10 rounds to see how we respond.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Very good summation... I was going to start a thread asking the very question that Dan raised, 'What do we stand for?'.... I have no *!*!*!*!ing idea anymore.

About time a bit of heat came on us... It's going to be a very interesting last 10 rounds to see how we respond.
    Discussing this very point with the family yesterday - we seem to be getting a free ride.....why? Is it because McCartney's a good bloke?

I'm with you Mantis, I'm inviting the heat at the moment - there's too many on-field issues going unresolved to let slide.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Discussing this very point with the family yesterday - we seem to be getting a free ride.....why? Is it because McCartney's a good bloke?

I'm with you Mantis, I'm inviting the heat at the moment - there's too many on-field issues going unresolved to let slide.
    I think we'll feel some heat soon enough. As Lonergan said in the article look at the next 10 rounds and see if you think a win will come out of those. Right now you'd pencil us in for 10 straight losses but realistically we'll pinch one or two out of those which is still very poor.

Post Thanks / Like

Well let's forget this nonsense about a 'refresh' at least.

It will never happen in a trillion billion years, but the AFL should consider giving us a 'discretionary' compensation pick.

We lost two of our good young running players to the expansion teams which really tore a gaping hole in our list, as well as losing a possible future captain.
    Our only ever number 1 pick is crippled, which everyone can see is a tragedy for the club and the player.

Post Thanks / Like

Whilst I agree with most of the direction Macca is taking, I don't agree that all players must get their own ball by contested possession. Macca has tried to change guys like Sherman to go in and get the ball yet he seems to forget you need outside runners once the inside mids have got the contested ball.

The other area that needs to be assessed is this obsession with kicking the ball long into the forward 50 with the hope of a big bloke marking it? Starting Jones, Cordy and Roughead deep in the forward 50 is not working. Against Port there were times when all three flew for the ball together, and one stage, Minson had also wondered down there, so four giants all went up for the mark. and when it dropped there was no one to mop up.

We need to have only two talls in the forward line, some pacey mid size forwards, and inject some pace with the objective of positioning themselves outside the pack and the ability to spread quickly and run the ball into the forward line with accurate passing.

Guys like, Sherman, Tutt, DJ all have pace and need to be considered.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Tutt is probably one guy who would have played a significant amount of games this year had it not been for injury. Hopefully in the second half of the year we'll see how he goes at AFL level again.

DJ has played more games than expected and has been out injured as well in recent weeks. I'd expect him back this week.

Sherman's in the doghouse right now and while does fit our needs his form in the VFL is hardly setting the world on fire. I'd rather players earn their spots on the field, do we reward him because of past traits?

Post Thanks / Like

This article sums up my thoughts perfectly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Tutt is probably one guy who would have played a significant amount of games this year had it not been for injury. Hopefully in the second half of the year we'll see how he goes at AFL level again.
    I'm not so sure as I don't see Tutt being able to fill the coaches mantra that they all have to 'crack in'.

But we could sure do with someone who can run & kick.

Post Thanks / Like

Sherman should be playing every week. In his first four games for the season he played exceptionally well and performed precisely the role we need as a running half-forward capable of crumbing. He then played two ordinary games in Darwin and coming back from Darwin and was dropped.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I'm not so sure as I don't see Tutt being able to fill the coaches mantra that they all have to 'crack in'.

But we could sure do with someone who can run & kick.
    I think he's got to soften his stance on that. As much as they're shouted at we need outsiders. I don't see the point in having Tutt or Sherman going in for the ball and feeding it to an outside Cross or Boyd. That being said if it's your time to go, you go.

Can we find a young Eagleton somewhere?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post

Can we find a young Eagleton somewhere?
    Fair point - how many guys do we have that can kick goals from outside 50? Griffen, Gilbee, Howard, Hargrave maybe Picken. Dayne Beams would be very handy indeed. Pipedream though as the pies never lose players.