Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What happened to the Bulldogs?

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Fair point - how many guys do we have that can kick goals from outside 50? Griffen, Gilbee, Howard, Hargrave maybe Picken. Dayne Beams would be very handy indeed. Pipedream though as the pies never lose players.
    I would love Dane Beams, is it worth throwing him some big dollars?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I would love Dane Beams, is it worth throwing him some big dollars?
    Haven't they already locked him up?

Post Thanks / Like

Travis Cloke would be good to have but we are no longer in the race in getting him. I think he will sign a new contract with Collingwood.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hobdog View Post
    Haven't they already locked him up?
    No he's still unsigned and would command a significant amount more on his last 5-10 games than Collingwood would've budgeted for. I guess it all depends on the Cloke deal. If its even a outside chance I would hope we'd be having a crack.

Post Thanks / Like

No he's still unsigned and would command a significant amount more on his last 5-10 games than Collingwood would've budgeted for. I guess it all depends on the Cloke deal. If its even a outside chance I would hope we'd be having a crack.
    I would definitely offer him some decent dollars, even if it simply drives up the contract he ends up signing at the Pies, it may just force one of their other players out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I would definitely offer him some decent dollars, even if it simply drives up the contract he ends up signing at the Pies, it may just force one of their other players out.

When was the last time a 'required' player at Collingwood left to come to us?

Especially now given we arent far from being cellar dwellers

Good idea to drive up Clokes salary and hopefully another player will slip out once they reach their cap

Post Thanks / Like

This is all true, he should be earning twice as much as he will recieve at collingwood next year.

But lets not forget Beams has had he's fair share of off field troubles, Collingwood have stuck by him when they could have easily de-listed him. He probably feels he owes the club so will stay.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytee View Post
    This is all true, he should be earning twice as much as he will recieve at collingwood next year.

But lets not forget Beams has had he's fair share of off field troubles, Collingwood have stuck by him when they could have easily de-listed him. He probably feels he owes the club so will stay.
    Players owe clubs nothing, we of all clubs know this. Clubs never delist players who can play. Wellingham is the perfect example when he was rookie listed and got caught moving a car whilst drunk and it cost Collingwood a sponser. They kept him only cause they saw the huge potential in him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Players owe clubs nothing, we of all clubs know this. Clubs never delist players who can play. Wellingham is the perfect example when he was rookie listed and got caught moving a car whilst drunk and it cost Collingwood a sponser. They kept him only cause they saw the huge potential in him.
    They obviously didn't think too highly of Beams considering they left him out of a Grand Final.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with the article, but I also reckon a first year Coach gets cut some slack.
    Need some games into Tutt, also have to realise if we get matched in contested we have to have an outlet.Players should also realise when it's time your time you go, and judging by our attendances the whole "Refresh" line has been a failure.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually think the article is a load of shit. Its easy to sit in a commentary position or as a supporter and take pot shots at a non-existent game plan, but its equally easy to forget just how outside we were in the last few years and how short that game plan came in terms of winning finals football. Winning the constested footy has to be the basis on which our next flag tilt is based. The downhill skiers/outside runners will be added once the basic plan is instilled in the team as a non-negotiable.

The club spin on a refresh is just that this is a rebuild, but a rebuild from a solid base. The well at the club is not bare. We have an exciting pipeline of young talent that needs time. This is not a Melbourne rebuild where the old guys have been thrown out and young guys asked to do too much. We are overendowed with inside players, because this is the focus we need to take, but also a reflection that in 1 or 2 years guys like Cross and Boyd will be gone. Today it is too soon to ask Wallis, Libba and Smith to take on the hard inside work mantle without support. They need help, but in a season or two their bodies will have hardened and they will be better for this season.

As for our forwards, yes its dysfunctional, yes we could go the option of a smaller more productive forward line, but did that win us a flag, when arguably in Johnno, Aker and Welsh we had three of the best small/med forwards in the game? No. All premiership sides in the last 10 years have had effective big blokes in their forward line around which the small/med work. It is a tall dominated model, not a small dominated model. We have 2 really good tall prospects in Jones and Cordy, they need time to develop. Maybe a season, maybe 2, but they will both be exceptional players.

As for the off field. This is where the club I think is failing. The fans aren't stupid, they know that after 5 or so seasons of exciting competitive footy and eventual heartbreak with elimination in 3 prelims that the next few years are going to be lean. The trick is to use that to your advantage. By failing to acknowledge a rebuild they have failed to grasp the opportunity of using the next generation to fuel excitement. In tough times the thing that brings people through the gate, that gets sponsors names in the paper and on TV are the development of young kids - and we have some beauties - Dahlhaus, Jones, Cordy, Wallis, Tutt, Howard, Libba and Smith are the next generation - this is what the club should be using to generate the next batch of supporters and maintain the excitement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I actually think the article is a load of shit. Its easy to sit in a commentary position or as a supporter and take pot shots at a non-existent game plan, but its equally easy to forget just how outside we were in the last few years and how short that game plan came in terms of winning finals football. Winning the constested footy has to be the basis on which our next flag tilt is based. The downhill skiers/outside runners will be added once the basic plan is instilled in the team as a non-negotiable.

The club spin on a refresh is just that this is a rebuild, but a rebuild from a solid base. The well at the club is not bare. We have an exciting pipeline of young talent that needs time. This is not a Melbourne rebuild where the old guys have been thrown out and young guys asked to do too much. We are overendowed with inside players, because this is the focus we need to take, but also a reflection that in 1 or 2 years guys like Cross and Boyd will be gone. Today it is too soon to ask Wallis, Libba and Smith to take on the hard inside work mantle without support. They need help, but in a season or two their bodies will have hardened and they will be better for this season.

As for our forwards, yes its dysfunctional, yes we could go the option of a smaller more productive forward line, but did that win us a flag, when arguably in Johnno, Aker and Welsh we had three of the best small/med forwards in the game? No. All premiership sides in the last 10 years have had effective big blokes in their forward line around which the small/med work. It is a tall dominated model, not a small dominated model. We have 2 really good tall prospects in Jones and Cordy, they need time to develop. Maybe a season, maybe 2, but they will both be exceptional players.

As for the off field. This is where the club I think is failing. The fans aren't stupid, they know that after 5 or so seasons of exciting competitive footy and eventual heartbreak with elimination in 3 prelims that the next few years are going to be lean. The trick is to use that to your advantage. By failing to acknowledge a rebuild they have failed to grasp the opportunity of using the next generation to fuel excitement. In tough times the thing that brings people through the gate, that gets sponsors names in the paper and on TV are the development of young kids - and we have some beauties - Dahlhaus, Jones, Cordy, Wallis, Tutt, Howard, Libba and Smith are the next generation - this is what the club should be using to generate the next batch of supporters and maintain the excitement.
    Glad I'm not the only one who thought the article was a load of crap. Please Lonergan, I think macca knows more about football than your simplistic views.

Post Thanks / Like

Moles seems to be the forgotten outside runner. I know his disposal can be ordinary but he has a bit of pace and could be that foil for Griffen.
    Is his card marked or could he be a chance in the second half.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one who thought the article was a load of crap. Please Lonergan, I think macca knows more about football than your simplistic views.
    So why should any of us offer an opinion?
    Do we have to all fall in line? Sydney and Brisbane smashed us in uncontested ball, hence when we break even or get done in that aspect we get poleaxed!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    So why should any of us offer an opinion?
    Do we have to all fall in line? Sydney and Brisbane smashed us in uncontested ball, hence when we break even or get done in that aspect we get poleaxed!
    never mentioned anything about any posters opinions Remi. I just said I don't agree with Dan Lonergan. Its fine if you agree with him so why can't it be fine for me not to agree with him?

it would seem like a pretty boring forum if everyone agreed with everyone.