Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What happened to the Bulldogs?

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    never mentioned anything about any posters opinions Remi. I just said I don't agree with Dan Lonergan. Its fine if you agree with him so why can't it be fine for me not to agree with him?

it would seem like a pretty boring forum if everyone agreed with everyone.
    It's okay to have differing opinions. Just reckon he has a valid arguement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    It's okay to have differing opinions. Just reckon he has a valid arguement.
    Yeah just about everyone does but i think his arguments are poor. He sounds more like a big footy poster than a professional football journalist.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I actually think the article is a load of shit. Its easy to sit in a commentary position or as a supporter and take pot shots at a non-existent game plan, but its equally easy to forget just how outside we were in the last few years and how short that game plan came in terms of winning finals football. Winning the constested footy has to be the basis on which our next flag tilt is based. The downhill skiers/outside runners will be added once the basic plan is instilled in the team as a non-negotiable.
    Wow - load of shit? Im suprised you feel that way. Before reading this article these were very similar to the views I had formulated myself this season and the first time I had seen them put forward in a questioning synopsis of the season thus far. As for being an outside team in the last few years we ranked second in contested possessions for both 2009 and 2010, about midtable in 2011. Sure we lacked a decent forward press as Rocket was slow to adapt in this area as we all know. This year we are ranked first. I agree that if we create a solid base of inside players first we can then complement them with some more outside types later, but I would like to see them come through together so hopefully we can snare some in the upcoming draft/trade period.

I guess for me the theme of the article was where exactly are we at? Whats the plan? I think its easy for a new coach to arrive and say right you guys are soft lets toughen you up, I recall Rocket doing the same. However being beaten by the Lions by 10 goals at home without firing a shot is unacceptable and questions should be asked.
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 27-06-2012 at 08:39 AM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Wow - load of shit? Im suprised you feel that way. Before reading this article these were very similar to the views I had formulated myself this season and the first time I had seen them put forward in a questioning synopsis of the season thus far. As for being an outside team in the last few years we ranked second in contested possessions for both 2009 and 2010, about midtable in 2011. Sure we lacked a decent forward press as Rocket was slow to adapt in this area as we all know. This year we are ranked first. I agree that if we create a solid base of inside players first we can then complement them with some more outside types later, but I would like to see them come through together so hopefully we can snare some in the upcoming draft/trade period.

I guess for me the theme of the article was where exactly are we at? Whats the plan? I think its easy for a new coach to arrive and say right you guys are soft lets toughen you up, I recall Rocket doing the same. However being beaten by the Lions by 10 goals at home without firing a shot is unacceptable and questions should be asked.
    We are rebuilding. We have a group of young players who are "Hot Prospects" and in some cases are beginning to showcase their talents. We have a group of ageing stars who have 150+ games of experience, have played finals, but who slowly, but surely are losing their ability to offset the deficiencies of the young guys.

We have a coach who has a strategy, which by definition is a long term plan, which means more than a couple of weeks. The LTP is centred around strong at the contest football. Because that basis is so central to the strategy, the coach has determined that all other aspects of the game will be sacrificed so that the team collectively win the contested ball as if it was a reflex/second nature. Once this is in place, other bits can be added to the game plan.

I bet that McCartney on Saturday was chuffed that the concept of winning the contested ball was so ingrained in the guys that they didn't waiver from winning it despite it not delivering the results. That is a sign that the message and the strategy is taking hold. No its not going to win games this year. yes we are going to have to endure games where it appears as though we don't fire a shot, but once embedded, a contested ball mentality will mean that the foundation of the strategy is in place.

I maintain that the article is a load of shit, because it fails to grasp the strategic element to what Macca is doing. he's not building a game plan which with play finals footy this year (seeing us scrape into the 8 and "over achieve", rather he's taking a much tougher option and building the foundations of a dynasty. Rome wasn't built overnight and funny enough neither was Geelong. We are 13 games into a season of change, it will get worse before it gets better, but it will get better.

There are things wrong with the footy club, but I don't think they are in the football department. I think the real problems the club has are elsewhere from Board level, to membership, to marketing/PR. You can say we are rebuilding and use it as an excuse for bad performances, or you can say we are rebuilding and use it as an opportunity to showcase the next generation of bulldog champions. The club has missed an opportunity.
    Last edited by Greystache; 27-06-2012 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Swear filter avoidance

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    So why should any of us offer an opinion?
    Do we have to all fall in line? Sydney and Brisbane smashed us in uncontested ball, hence when we break even or get done in that aspect we get poleaxed!
    I think the great thing about Woof is that we can all have differing opinions and air them. My take, tactically we were beaten, but strategically the guys did what the coach wants them to do.......win the contested ball. You can't deny that winning the contested ball didn't work against NM, Melbourne or the new sides. You can't deny that it almost worked against the Cats, Pies, WCE and Adelaide? So it hasn't worked in 3 games? %'s suggest that it is strategically the right approach to take.

Post Thanks / Like

Interseting listening to Murphy on AFL 360 when Robbo asked him about winning contested balls and clearances and still losing. Bob said, there are clearances and there are clearances.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting this GG and some really good comments in this thread. The two standouts for me are;

"What do we stand for?" and " A huge challenge lies ahead".
    I disagree that the brand of footy we have been playing is that bad to watch. It's not 'ugly' footy.
    However, our blokes simply have to understand. For a struggling club like ours, one win is almost worth two for us - compared to clubs that are better off. We simply must compete, and our fans will stand by us if they see us keep at it, right to the line.

Huge bags kicked on us are heart breaking and the absolute worst thing for me is seeing valued fans, like Lantern, just walk away in disgust. It's time for a younger generation to take the reins and our marketing and decision making has to reflect that.
    The thing that heartens me is I see a lot of kids at Bulldogs games.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 27-06-2012 at 12:54 AM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    We are rebuilding. We have a group of young players who are "Hot Prospects" and in some cases are beginning to showcase their talents. We have a group of ageing stars who have 150+ games of experience, have played finals, but who slowly, but surely are losing their ability to offset the deficiencies of the young guys.
    I'm not sure I agree we have a group of "Hot Prospects". We definitely have some kids with promise but I'm not sure the upside in this group as it is is going to be the kind that will lead us back to top 4 without some further astute recruiting. This year's draft and trade period is going to be crucial to where we go in the next few years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Interseting listening to Murphy on AFL 360 when Robbo asked him about winning contested balls and clearances and still losing. Bob said, there are clearances and there are clearances.

And that is why you cannot take stats on face value.
    You can win the clearances and kicking it forward to the opposition or you can win the clearances and run and carry and deliver it lace out to a forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post

And that is why you cannot take stats on face value.
    You can win the clearances and kicking it forward to the opposition or you can win the clearances and run and carry and deliver it lace out to a forward.
    Maybe we need an effective clearances stat?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Maybe we need an effective clearances stat?
    Last night they showed the top 3 on AFL Insider for effective clearances for and against.

We were 17th for effective clearances against menaing we aren't all that good at denying the opposition easy passage away from the clearance area when they win the ball.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Last night they showed the top 3 on AFL Insider for effective clearances for and against.

We were 17th for effective clearances against menaing we aren't all that good at denying the opposition easy passage away from the clearance area when they win the ball.
    Ahh that old chestnut. After Griffen, we're very ordinary on the spread from stoppages going forward with effectiveness and even worse with our accountability going back the other way. It's just as well we are so good at contesting and 'cracking in' on the inside . Oh for a Beams and Sidebottom right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Ahh that old chestnut. After Griffen, we're very ordinary on the spread from stoppages going forward with effectiveness and even worse with our accountability going back the other way. It's just as well we are so good at contesting and 'cracking in' on the inside . Oh for a Beams and Sidebottom right now.
    Its obvious isnt it? We have a number of the same type slow midfielders with average skills who can win the clearances however do not have the leg speed to run and carry and deliver it to our advantage.
    The lack of leg speed also enables the opposition to spread with virtually no pressure.
    Last edited by Desipura; 27-06-2012 at 07:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Lol, apparently Melbourne and Gold Coast are ahead of us, with a combined 2 wins for the year. Our kids have taken us to 5 wins, but apparently they're worse.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Beyond a shadow of a doubt we need outside run and carry, plus leg speed, and we need it in spades.

We do have players with some pace in the squad.
    Unfortunately that of itself is not enough. What we need is pace, but coupled with SKILL, talent, vision and daring.

What we need are at the very least, two [ or maybe ] three Griffins/Coons [ circa 2008] added to our line-up.

Pace on its own will not be, is not, sufficient, it must be coupled with class.

The future depends on the right options being taken during the upcoming trade and draft periods.