Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Giants set sights on Bulldog Minson

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    but this is part of clause 3 which is confusing.

If the club matches the offer, he may choose to remain with his original club, seek a trade or enter the Draft.
    My take is that if we matched the offer, he can't just walk and we would have to come to a trade agreement with another club for him to leave, in the same manner any trade would normally operate.

The fact that it says seek a trade is confusing, because a club could potentially manipulate it by inflating a players worth and refusing to do a deal if they wanted to keep them. Is there going to be some sort of arbitration system that means you can't "unreasonably" decline a "fair" trade offer? The wording is open to interpretation, which probably suits the AFL. If it affects Collingwood first you can bet the interpretation will be favourable to them!

Post Thanks / Like

My understanding of the rules is that GWS can only get Will if we trade him. They are restricted from Free Agency rule because they have already taken Ward from us and can't take more then 1 uncontracted player from each club.

I have a feeling the we will use Will as a trade for one of the 17 year olds in the mini draft

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by way out west View Post
    My understanding of the rules is that GWS can only get Will if we trade him. They are restricted from Free Agency rule because they have already taken Ward from us and can't take more then 1 uncontracted player from each club.

I have a feeling the we will use Will as a trade for one of the 17 year olds in the mini draft
    Yep.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    To get a seat at the mini draft we would need to offer at least one of our first round picks and something else and maybe that is Minson. We might be able to claw something else back with a flip flop of 2nd and 3rd round picks but Minson was never going to get us something like Hoskin-Elliot and a mini draft selection as Desi was suggesting.
    Maybe if we traded Minson to GWS it could get us the mini draft pick. We would get a compo pick from the AFL, like Brisbane got one for Brennan because they lost 2 uncontracted players. Then we could offload the compo pick along with whatever we get for Minson to GWS for a mini draft pick.

Post Thanks / Like

Our club seems to have travelled a long way in the last three months, hasn't it?

Not many good news stories coming out of the Kennel right now. While it would be disappointing to lose Will under certain circumstances, I can't really get too flustered over a story like this at this stage of the game, especially being so distant from from the inner workings of the club and the strategy it is putting together for the remainder of this year and the years to come.

The management of our taller players this year, up forward and through the ruck has confused me no end. Whether it be selection of the 22 each week, the nominated sub or positional selections each week I just can't seem to get my head around it. I hope there's a strong strategy in place, I really do.

Post Thanks / Like

We don't really need all 3 of Roughead, Campbell and Minson(especially if they change the bench to 2 &2 next season). So I'm happy to trade out whoever we get the best deal for.

Sentiment is dead in football nowadays, which is sad.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    We don't really need all 3 of Roughead, Campbell and Minson(especially if they change the bench to 2 &2 next season). So I'm happy to trade out whoever we get the best deal for.

Sentiment is dead in football nowadays, which is sad.
    Agreed. We should really be playing 1 ruck with players like Cordy and Jones helping out.

However of the 3 Minson is the best.
    The other 2 are raw and may be better or worse.
    I'm against trading out loyal club servants but happy to do what's best for the club.
    Just worried we'll get duded on a trade or stuff up any picks received.

Post Thanks / Like

I just hope all of those who are advocating a trade for Minson (as distinct from those who are just resigned to it occurring) weren't also part of the group crucifying Callan Ward for leaving.
    I guess demanding loyalty from and showing loyalty to are mutually exclusive?

Post Thanks / Like

Btw I think we should put a high price on him or any of our rucks.
    Looking quickly at clubs who may need experienced rucks. Brisbane, Hawthorn, Saints, Gws, suns, Geelong and the pies.
    The other way is considerably less- freo, carlton and us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I just hope all of those who are advocating a trade for Minson (as distinct from those who are just resigned to it occurring) weren't also part of the group crucifying Callan Ward for leaving.
    I want him to stay but 3 rucks does go into 1 spot.
    He probably has the most value.
    Is it being disloyal if you say to a player we are trading you because we can't play you every week? I would have thought its win-win.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    I want him to stay but 3 rucks does go into 1 spot.
    He probably has the most value.
    Is it being disloyal if you say to a player we are trading you because we can't play you every week? I would have thought its win-win.
    Fair enough, but why bother offering him n insulting one year deal?
    I don't see why Will could not play a significant role as 1st ruck for 2 or 3 years, and help mentor Roughy, Campbell and Cordy.
    I think that's the win-win situation.

We reward a loyal servant and provide our young ruck talent with an excellent learning environment. In 2 years time hopefully they are increasingly eased into a more prominent role.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no problem with Ward leaving. The offer was too good to refuse & i would have done the same thing. Loyalty in sport is a load of crap, loyalty only exists if its suits both parties which isn't loyalty at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The management of our taller players this year, up forward and through the ruck has confused me no end. Whether it be selection of the 22 each week, the nominated sub or positional selections each week I just can't seem to get my head around it. I hope there's a strong strategy in place, I really do.
    Through a work function yesterday I had the opportunity to briefly speak with a respected member of the AFL community.

I quizzed him about this very fact and he shared your bewilderment, especially last week when we played 3 rucks + Jones... and had one of the rucks as our sub. He just couldn't work out why you would do this considering how slow a team we are.

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough, but why bother offering him n insulting one year deal?
    I don't see why Will could not play a significant role as 1st ruck for 2 or 3 years, and help mentor Roughy, Campbell and Cordy.
    I think that's the win-win situation.

We reward a loyal servant and provide our young ruck talent with an excellent learning environment. In 2 years time hopefully they are increasingly eased into a more prominent role.
    If you want to use the Hudson example of late blooming, he started his AFL career at 25, came to the kennel at 29 and gave us 4 years of excellent service - he was as instrumental as anyone in getting us from bottom 4 to top 4 in the space of 12 months (and staying there for the next 3 years). He's still providing good service for Brisbane this year, even after virtually no pre-season because he'd effectively retired.

Right here and now, Minson is a couple of years younger than Hudson when he arrived at the kennel, is only now entering his ruck prime and could be our key ruckman for the next 5-6 seasons, so the offer of a one-year contract is frankly absurd. Whatever we get for him will be significant unders and all of Campbell, Roughead and Cordy are frankly not ready to assume the brutal, day-in-day-out responsibility of no. 1 ruck at senior level over the course of a full season. Realistically we could next be contending with Minson still at or near his peak as a ruckman, we've invested 10 years' development into him, and we seemingly are happy to piss this 10 years down the drain. For mine, it would have to be the deal of the century to even consider it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    If you want to use the Hudson example of late blooming, he started his AFL career at 25, came to the kennel at 29 and gave us 4 years of excellent service - he was as instrumental as anyone in getting us from bottom 4 to top 4 in the space of 12 months
    (and staying there for the next 3 years). He's still providing good service for Brisbane this year, even after virtually no pre-season because he'd effectively retired. Right here and now, Minson is a couple of years younger than Hudson when he arrived at the kennel, is only now entering his ruck prime and could be our key ruckman for the next 5-6 seasons, so the offer of a one-year contract is frankly absurd. Whatever we get for him will be significant unders and all of Campbell, Roughesd and Cordy are frankly not ready to assume the brutal, day-in-day-out responsibility of no. 1 ruck at senior level over the course of a full season. Realistically we could next be contending with Minson still at or near his peak as a ruckman, we've invested 10 years' development into him, and we seemingly are happy to piss this 10 years down the drain. For mine, it would have to be the deal of the century to even consider it.
    I agree. I do not want us to entertain trading Minson. Having said that I would totally understand why Will would want to leave given the club's lack of support for him this year.