Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rooey's tonic

Post Thanks / Like

Rooey's tonic

Link

MEDICAL treatment - designed for osteo-arthritis - on Nick Riewoldt's troublesome knee is helping the St Kilda captain find his best form in years.

Riewoldt said his consistency was in no small part due to orthokine therapy, a process that obtains anti-inflammatory proteins from the patient's own blood and injects them into an arthritic joint.

"I'm sure there are a few players in the competition that are doing it. It's given me a bit of a lift in the second half of the year. Certainly there are some up and down weeks and six day breaks play a bit more of a part but I feel good," Riewoldt said on Wednesday.

Orthokine involves taking blood from a patient's body, spinning it in a centrifuge to make a serum and then injecting it into a patient's knee.

The process has been used in the USA by basketballers Kobe Bryant and Andrew Bynum as well as baseballer Alex Rodriguez.

Riewoldt said the benefits were clear as he had been able to take part in more training than in previous years, which in turn had boosted his confidence and form.

I know this technique has been mentioned by others but I hope to God that they are looking into this for Adam Cooney. I know that it may well be of no benefit for him but surely it would at least be worth a try? Hell, if he needs to go to Germany to get it done I'll even drive him to the airport!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rooey's tonic

maybe we can start a fix cooneys knee fund.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    maybe we can start a fix cooneys knee fund.
    Maybe Cooney, with his multiple six figure salary, can fund it himself? .
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Might be a possibility.

Although i think Cooney's knee is more a structural thing than arthritis based pain.

As he had the shattered patella, i think that the knee doesn't function exactly how it supposed to anymore, kind of like a bad wheel balance, the faster you go the worse it gets. So if the knee joint doesn't operate properly because of the knee cap, then it throws other parts of the knee out, causing pain elsewhere etc.

I've got a similar issue after i tore my medial ligament, the muscles on one side are tighter/stronger and pull the knee cap to the left causing pain up my calf and quad,
    if i rest and don't run around it seems fine.

So back to the point i think Cooney's knee is more a car accident than old age.
    Let's just hope they can restore it and it doesn't go to scrap.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it one particular knee giving Cooney trouble or both?

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder if it cures diving ?
    Or constant moaning to the umpires?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Wonder if it cures diving ?
    Or constant moaning to the umpires?

Rotten bloke, hope his sore knee keeps him awake of a night time.