Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Hope at last

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hope at last

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    So you don't agree that Roughy CAN be a key defender, but you think he should be perservered with as a forward.

Really if he can make as a key forward (which you are suggesting), he can certainly be a key defender.

This game was his best at the club EVER and as a key defender.
    Would you see Roughead's role as a key forward or key defender?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefcep View Post
    I don't agree.

I would persevere with him a a forward until he proves he's just not good enough.

Lake was a KPF, we turned him into an elite full back-for a season or two-and failed at 3 prelims because we didn't have a KPF. We don't need to repeat this with Roughhead.
    I disagree. We need both key forwards and key defenders. Roughead has shown an ability in two games to play defence better than the numerous games he has spent up forward. Stick with him back.

As for Lake, arguably if we didn't have him as an "elite full back" we wouldn't have made those prelims. Are you seriously suggesting we stuffed up by making a player the best full back in the league?
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

You need elite players across all lines if you're gonna challenge. If we're starting to work out which areas we may already have covered, that's a good thing.

The list as it is isn't going to challenge so you're shifting deck chairs on the titanic if you care too much about whether we uncover a good KPD or KPF. We're gonna need both.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    Opinion about Howard?
    Still unconvinced

Loses his feet too often.

Only plus is his kicking which has the potential to be elite.

Post Thanks / Like

I liked what i saw in the first half and at least walked away with some positives and a glimpse of what positives the future will hold for us!

Roughead - very good and would be happy for us to perservere with him as a CHB. With the way our guys are delivering the ball into the forward line, it is meaningless to have him anywhere up forward.

Pearce - not afraid to have a crack. Will get better with time and size.

JJ - some dash! Hooray! Loved how he can get himself out of trouble by putting his foot down and creating that little bit of space needed to setup some play.

Talia - good signs for him. Future KPP for us down back, no doubt.

Addison - leave him up forward! He has played his best football for us there and he needs time to refine his goalkicking....

C. Smith - he is learning quickly and will be much better in 2013.

Throw in Dahl, Wallis, Libba, Williams up forward, J Grant down back or on a wing, Dickson as a hard working small forward - we are looking like a team that will be able to challenge for finals next year.

Zephi will struggle im afraid. Too slow.
    We need to hang onto Big Will!!! Please...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I can remember Brian playing his first game in the forward line, but since then it's always been as a defender.
    I remember him playing a number of games in the forward line initially. Round 9 2003 he kicked 2 goals playing in the forward pocket against Adelaide. I remember the match vividly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It would be a great bonus for us if Cordy could become a key forward but if Williams, Jones and then Grant become forwards for us I don't think there is a spot for Cordy.
    You're right about Dickson because with a better fitness base he can improve.
    I find hard to identify a spot for Easton Wood in the team. He's athletic which we lack and physical which we like but he isn't a good decision maker and his skill level isn't great.
    Still undecided/unconvinced re Grant. Improved signs, but still fails to be involved or influential enough on the game for a kid with the talent he has.

Dickson with another pre season under the belt hopefully will begin to achieve more of his potential.

Now re East Wood. Given his particular talents, I would love to see him allocated to Rohan Smith to be trained for an old fashioned wingman role. Has pace, a natural inclination to try and take the opposition on, and he is a real athlete. He might also benefit from the option to get out into some space, and give us a bit more outside run and carry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paulv View Post

Now re East Wood. Given his particular talents, I would love to see him allocated to Rohan Smith to be trained for an old fashioned wingman role. Has pace, a natural inclination to try and take the opposition on, and he is a real athlete. He might also benefit from the option to get out into some space, and give us a bit more outside run and carry.
    The problem with that is Wood doesn't get very much of the ball

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    The problem with that is Wood doesn't get very much of the ball
    The problem with Wood is that he is still learning his craft.

He has been played back all his time at the dogs and was drafted without being involved in the junior programs.

His performance against Geelong was an inkling of his capability. Potentially the best line breaker we have with his speed and strength. He also has an enormous leap and can take a big grab.

Just 39 games into his career and just coming to the stage where we need players. We can be very hasty to write players off.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

No point in playing Lake forward now.
    It's not sustainable in the long term, and I'd keep playing Jones and Cordy up forward

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    The problem with Wood is that he is still learning his craft.

He has been played back all his time at the dogs and was drafted without being involved in the junior programs.

His performance against Geelong was an inkling of his capability. Potentially the best line breaker we have with his speed and strength. He also has an enormous leap and can take a big grab.

Just 39 games into his career and just coming to the stage where we need players. We can be very hasty to write players off.
    I totally agree with the above. With more experience he will learn when to defend and when to run off his opponent. This will enable him to get more of the ball.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    I totally agree with the above. With more experience he will learn when to defend and when to run off his opponent. This will enable him to get more of the ball.
    Wood is one of the few that has real dash in the team and could play well on a wing. Doesn't have the surety of a Morris at half back and prone to make errors. He might welcome the greater freedom across centre and give us quicker movement into the forward line

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It would be a great bonus for us if Cordy could become a key forward but if Williams, Jones and then Grant become forwards for us I don't think there is a spot for Cordy.
    You're right about Dickson because with a better fitness base he can improve.
    I find hard to identify a spot for Easton Wood in the team. He's athletic which we lack and physical which we like but he isn't a good decision maker and his skill level isn't great.
    Still to be convinced about Cordy Jones and Grant making it as key forwards.Williams lacks class but will compete as a forward and worth persevering with in attack.Roughead is gaining confidence as a defender and eventually has the potential to make it as a key forward. Dickson has been a fine pick up and along with Dahlhaus has been the best of an ordinary attack. Wood appears nervous at half back but with his undoubted speed may well be better suited on the wing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    Still unconvinced

Loses his feet too often.

Only plus is his kicking which has the potential to be elite.
    An incident with a North player where they both lost their feet.
    Resulted in a goal, and he needs to get stronger on the ball and with his opponent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I disagree. We need both key forwards and key defenders. Roughead has shown an ability in two games to play defence better than the numerous games he has spent up forward. Stick with him back.

As for Lake, arguably if we didn't have him as an "elite full back" we wouldn't have made those prelims. Are you seriously suggesting we stuffed up by making a player the best full back in the league?
    Agree with comment on Roughead. Well put