Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Out of bounds, out of my mind

THE CONNOLLY REPORT
    THE AFL is fond of citing the ''flow-on'' effect in defending a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to criticism of umpires. This weekend might have seen a flow-on effect of a different kind.
    A colleague umpiring an amateur game on Saturday noticed within minutes of the game starting that any time a kick went out of bounds, the bellowing of the crowd for ''deliberate'' was instantaneous. It continued unabated for the entire game.

And presuming most of those doing the yelling had watched Friday night's West Coast-Geelong clash, who could blame them? Until Friday night, in 162 matches, we'd seen an average of 0.6 free kicks a game paid for deliberate out-of-bounds. In the Eagles-Cats game, there were nine.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...#ixzz23O1cN1aQ

What about the kick from Hooper in our game V Richmond?
    It went about 50m, then rolled off the ground ( the bounce could have gone either way )and was ruled intentional!!What a load of #$%#$^
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Out of bounds, out of my mind

We should be exempt from OOB rules anyways - not many of our kicks seem that intentional
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    What about the kick from Hooper in our game V Richmond?
    It went about 50m, then rolled off the ground ( the bounce could have gone either way )and was ruled intentional!!What a load of #$%#$^
    One of the reasons we lost the 2009 prelim was the 50 metre kick from Aker that was deemed deliberate.

This rule is officially a joke and bears no resemblance to the reason it was originally introduced.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

It's just all part of the AFL's plan to keep the game moving with higher scores being kicked.

Limiting the options players have when under pressure is part of it. The AFL actually believes that supporters would prefer their teams to kick to their opposition rather than see a contest at a throw in.

It's insane.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It's just all part of the AFL's plan to keep the game moving with higher scores being kicked.

Limiting the options players have when under pressure is part of it. The AFL actually believes that supporters would prefer their teams to kick to their opposition rather than see a contest at a throw in.

It's insane.
    You can't shape the way you want the game played by rule changes, it just doesn't work in AFL.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You can't shape the way you want the game played by rule changes, it just doesn't work in AFL.
    Tell them that (AFL), they seem hell bent on making it work...
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Tell them that (AFL), they seem hell bent on making it work...
    The AFL has spoilt our great game with stupid rule changes. Just watch the game and see that every time there is a contest between two players, a free kick will be awarded every second time. Its almost impossible to go for a mark or the ball without some sort of accidental touch on a back, or chop of an arm. Yet you are able to throw the ball in the middle of packs, or when you are tackled you just let go and its play on. What's the difference between a swing and miss by foot compared to swing and miss by attempted handball, all treated differently.

The out of bounce deliberate is now a joke, so if a player kicks the ball and you punch the ball and it happens to go out its now a free kick. The game has changed forever.

Post Thanks / Like

The AFL has spoilt our great game with stupid rule changes. Just watch the game and see that every time there is a contest between two players, a free kick will be awarded every second time. Its almost impossible to go for a mark or the ball without some sort of accidental touch on a back, or chop of an arm. Yet you are able to throw the ball in the middle of packs, or when you are tackled you just let go and its play on. What's the difference between a swing and miss by foot compared to swing and miss by attempted handball, all treated differently.

The out of bounce deliberate is now a joke, so if a player kicks the ball and you punch the ball and it happens to go out its now a free kick. The game has changed forever.
    One would argue that no other sport inspires such puzzled confusion from its players on a regular basis. Every time I take a bunch of internationals to the footy, I have real trouble explaining why something is a free. I get half way into the explanation, listen to myself and realize how complex it is.
    The first half of a game is often a cluster of bums sticking out. Forwards are treated like kings while the defender is seldom rewarded. I'd hate to be a backman playing these days.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Would a drop kick be deemed as incorrect disposal because the ball hits the ground before foot.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Would a drop kick be deemed as incorrect disposal because the ball hits the ground before foot.
    Yes, it is a free kick to the tackler, assuming prior opportunity, if the ball hits the ground before the player gets his boot to the ball.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

I keep turning on the footy because I think the players today are astonishing. Their skills, power and athleticism are unbelievable and I am continually gobsmacked by what they can do.

Then some dodo blows a whistle and I turn it off.

My God AFL could be scary good if we could just get rid of the morons running the show.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I keep turning on the footy because I think the players today are astonishing. Their skills, power and athleticism are unbelievable and I am continually gobsmacked by what they can do.

My God AFL could be scary good if we could just get rid of the morons running the show.
    This ^^^^^

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I hate that I know any umpires name.

I hate that commentators delight in talking about "Razor Ray" etc.

I hate that they need to get in the face of players when they're pushing and shoving each other.

Give them a profile, give them an ego and these socially awkward super fit nerds suddenly think the show is about them.

I wish they'd just blow their whistles and disappear from sight until next time they need to blow it.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

I think some people in this forum have close relatives that umpire.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I hate that I know any umpires name.

I hate that commentators delight in talking about "Razor Ray" etc.

I hate that they need to get in the face of players when they're pushing and shoving each other.

Give them a profile, give them an ego and these socially awkward super fit nerds suddenly think the show is about them.

I wish they'd just blow their whistles and disappear from sight until next time they need to blow it.
    The problem is the umpires are just the puppets.
    More of an In Bruges guy?