Thanks Thanks:  34
Likes Likes:  189
Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Jarrad Grant

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jarrad Grant

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    A variety of thinking from posters around Grant.

I would prefer he stays due to our need for players of his age group on our list and because he seems to be a genuinely good team mate for the other players.

Having said that, I found myself on a number of occasions this year annoyed that he had taken a mark in the forward line when there might have been a more reliable goal kicker around....
    This is my issue. Ultimately, if he is taking marks and then missing very important shots, as he does more often than not, then that's a spot for someone else. Fowards must kick goals. Pure and simple.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    This is my issue. Ultimately, if he is taking marks and then missing very important shots, as he does more often than not, then that's a spot for someone else. Fowards must kick goals. Pure and simple.
    It's a combination of weaknesses for me. He misses shots at goal which means he has to play further up the ground however he isn't a natural ball winner. If you're going to be the 15 disposals a game type you have to be very damaging. I do love his hands, really fits our style but his weaknesses are very damaging,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    It's a combination of weaknesses for me. He misses shots at goal which means he has to play further up the ground however he isn't a natural ball winner. If you're going to be the 15 disposals a game type you have to be very damaging. I do love his hands, really fits our style but his weaknesses are very damaging,
    Well put Rocco. Maybe this sounds a bit harsh, and I like the guy, but if he continually misses easy goals under pressure, why should he stay in the team? It's not like others can't do the other stuff. His year, cumulative with the rest of his career has been so line ball it is a hard one to call. An enigma, Mr Grant. Stay on, let it rip Jarred. Throw him down back for a bit? Why not?

My guess is the club is softening negotiations by allowing reality to sink in, as shown by lack of interest by other clubs.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Well put Rocco. Maybe this sounds a bit harsh, and I like the guy, but if he continually misses easy goals under pressure, why should he stay in the team? It's not like others can't do the other stuff. His year, cumulative with the rest of his career has been so line ball it is a hard one to call. An enigma, Mr Grant. Stay on, let it rip Jarred. Throw him down back for a bit? Why not?

My guess is the club is softening negotiations by allowing reality to sink in, as shown by lack of interest by other clubs.
    I think he is the team because we are we young that we struggled to fill out the 22 with guys who can impact the game. His inability to find much of the ball wasn't a big factor in selection as guys like Webb and Dale struggled even more so.

With Libba and Stevens back, as well as McLean and Daniel having another year of development in direct competition for his kind of role...I think he is going to have to go up another cog to be a regular part of the team. Could be the making or breaking of him.

I would like him to stay on a one year contract to have some more depth. See how he goes, maybe he goes up that cog. Maybe he iis the delist pile.

Post Thanks / Like

He may not find the ball much but he uses it pretty well. IF only he could forget he's kicking for goal and pretend he's passing it to someone in the stands. I'm sure he would nail it every time.
    BT had a point commentating our final, in that the way he holds it loses him 5 or so metres on the kick.
    Have we every tried him in defence? If so, how did he go?

Post Thanks / Like

BT had a point commentating our final, in that the way he holds it loses him 5 or so metres on the kick
    Which was followed by Grant kicking the goal
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

He is probably in our 15-20 range at the moment. I'd keep him for another year but fully expect him to not be in the 22 at the end of next season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Which was followed by Grant kicking the goal
    Yes! Was stoked. And good to see the boys get around and pat the microphone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    He is probably in our 15-20 range at the moment. I'd keep him for another year but fully expect him to not be in the 22 at the end of next season.

So why keep him?

Post Thanks / Like

He may not find the ball much but he uses it pretty well. IF only he could forget he's kicking for goal and pretend he's passing it to someone in the stands. I'm sure he would nail it every time.
    BT had a point commentating our final, in that the way he holds it loses him 5 or so metres on the kick.
    Have we every tried him in defence? If so, how did he go?
    It sounds so simple GD.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hot_Doggies View Post
    So why keep him?
    Depth player that suits our style.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hot_Doggies View Post
    So why keep him?
    I think its not so much Grant trying to fit into our game plan as much as it is our players trying to fit into the way Jarrad plays. If he could get some synergy with the team (bearing in mind it is a new and developing game plan) I think he (and the team) would get the rewards. He is usually in the right spots (such as ready to take the handball over the top that never came from Crammers in the EF because Lachie missed his target). He works hard and has some assets but he needs to be happy with 2 years.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

13. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see the point of keeping someone who we think is at best a depth player and is in the peak of his career at 26-27.
    Let's see what we can get for him in the open market, and if the price/compensation is good then that is far better than holding onto a senior player that is not a walk up start.

The alternative is that we hold onto him but he doesn't get games due to others and young players getting preference and then he losing any value he potential has.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I think its not so much Grant trying to fit into our game plan as much as it is our players trying to fit into the way Jarrad plays. If he could get some synergy with the team (bearing in mind it is a new and developing game plan) I think he (and the team) would get the rewards. He is usually in the right spots (such as ready to take the handball over the top that never came from Crammers in the EF because Lachie missed his target). He works hard and has some assets but he needs to be happy with 2 years.
    I would comment each week about him being in the goal square alone after out running an opponent, or being free for the play to go through him. When the tapes get a good working out over the next few months, if JG is still there and still getting into a lot of dangerous spots next year I'd expect that he will impact games ever further.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    I don't see the point of keeping someone who we think is at best a depth player and is in the peak of his career at 26-27.
    Let's see what we can get for him in the open market, and if the price/compensation is good then that is far better than holding onto a senior player that is not a walk up start.

The alternative is that we hold onto him but he doesn't get games due to others and young players getting preference and then he losing any value he potential has.
    I don't think he is a depth player 'at best'. I think it is his base. We are a very young side and need players around the 26-27 mark.

That being said, I'm also happy for him to go. Basically not fussed.

17. Likes bornadog liked this post