Thanks Thanks:  34
Likes Likes:  189
Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Jarrad Grant

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jarrad Grant

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    He is at the moment. We need to use Jarrad better. Isaac Smith wasn't better than Jarrad Grant at the end of 2013. Jarrad's definitely got it it's a matter of whether he and the club believe he can do it.

For the record I'm not comparing them, I'm comparing the potential for like roles and using them the same ways. I'm not saying they are on par as players.
    That makes some sense. Look at WCE last year to this year. They underperformed last year with the new gameplan and this year when it clicked fringe players looked like rolls royces. I think Bevo has many more strings to our gameplan and if there are along what Clarkson and Simpson are doing, then a player like Grant may just flourish. If Grant was hit every time he was open or free forward we'd be lauding him like Wood, Wally and Dicko for taking the next step.

But we're just going in circles again. He will get a contract or he won't.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Cmon struggled. Tom Boyd, Jong, Hrovat, Crameri, Talia, Hunter, Macrae and others:

A. All of the above got dropped too. That ipso facto means nothing.
    B. All were playing reserves at different points while Grant was getting AFL games - So Grant was the only listed player to be gifted games for the length of the season while every other player was forced to lift and stay lifted or not get a game.
    C. We didn't have a massive injury list
    D. When Grant was dropped his VFL form was very good and that's why he got promoted
    E. Contractual status says more about McCartney than Bevo wants
    F. Grant's manager may have said only put a 3 year deal down or nothing at all. We don't know.

I get you don't like him as a player, but that post is pretty thin on for anything like a coherent and insightful comment with all my respects Ricky.
    I didn't say he was gifted, more so we didn't have enough experienced depth to force him out. Our midfield depth was a weakness all season, especially when both Libba and Stevens were out. Dale and Daniel in particular wouldn't have played as many games as they did if we had more experienced depth available.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Jarrad GRANT

#1 Western Bulldogs

Height: 193cm Weight: 83kg Position: FWD
    Dream Team Profile

2015 Digest: Entering the last of a two-year deal and in all likelihood an AFL career defining season. An early foot injury prevented the former top 10 draft prospect from replicating his late 2013 form and he ended up playing just four senior matches. While Liam Jones is gone the addition of Tom Boyd and the emergence of Stewart Crameri and Jake Stringer makes the 25-year-old’s task tougher.

2015 NAB Cup: Played arguably his best game for the club in 10-goal romp. Has Luke Beveridge unlocked the key to success?

2015 Season

1 WCE Sub. On final term and made a couple of darting runs. Hit post with flying shot. 1
    2 Rich One goal and involved in a few passages. 4
    3 Haw Tried to work himself into game but couldn’t. 4
    4 Adel Picked up by Smith initially. Took a screamer second term. Vastly improved. 6
    5 VFL Responded well to AFL axe to be among the Dogs’ best. -
    6 VFL Bye. -
    7 VFL Booted four goals and was too good form Geelong defenders. -
    8 VFL Three goals in opening half then rested. -
    9 GWS Started on a wing and outran Scully and Whitfield. Sealing goal early last term. 6
    10 Port Five clearances and five inside-50s, won six hit-outs as the third man up. 7
    12 Bris On wing and a positive element in winning over 20 touches. 6
    13 StK Continues to be a contributor in the wing role. 5
    14 Carl Good early goal from wing and is building with confidence. 6
    15 GCS Decent numbers but didn’t have a great impact on contest. 4
    16 Geel One goal but couldn’t get into game to any great degree. Two marks. 4
    17 Coll Sub. Had a few touches in final term. 2
    18 Ess OK without making a huge statement. Run from back half a highlight. 5
    19 Port Tried and kept presenting on the lead, used it well when he got it. 6
    20 Melb Three first-term goals and linked well pressing up the ground. 7
    21 WCE Needed to have more of a say in the game. 3
    22 NM Not significant apart for one big mark, and subbed off at last change 3
    23 Bris Used the ball well.

Source: SEN AFL player ratings
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Part of a one year deal is we may be struggling to delist players next year. If Bob, Boyd and Morris don't fall away dramatically, we must keep them. The only guys coming out of contract at the end of 2016 that I would not offer an extension now to are:
    - Prudden (make it or break it year, I don't see much in him but great attitude etc)
    - Minson (would be already gone you'd think if he wasn't contracted)
    - Hamilton (started well, then went quiet/meant to be home sick)
    - Campbell (I think if Will goes, he stays. Not a huge fan of his skill set but I would offer an extension unless he struggles next year)
    - Redpath (bit similar to Campbell)

Post Thanks / Like

Season in Review: Including highlights of Melbourne match

Season in short:

After an interrupted 2014 season due to injury, Jarrad Grant played 19 games in the senior team in 2015, taking the 26-year-old’s career tally to 83 games in eight seasons.

Despite a month in the VFL from rounds five to eight, Grant worked his way back in to the side in round nine against the Giants and played every game for the remainder of the season.

The forward spent more time across the wing through the middle of the season, under coach Luke Beveridge’s mantra of versatility.

He assumed his normal role in the forward line in the latter parts of 2015, where he produced his best game for the season in round 20.

Notching up 20 disposals and three goals in the Dogs’ round 20 win against Melbourne, Grant kicked all three majors in the opening term.

The stat that mattered:

Grant collected a season-high 22-disposals in the Bulldogs’ Round 12 72-point win, with a career-high six tackles in round six against Port Adelaide.

What they said:

“I’ve spent most of my career as a forward, you’ve obviously got a dour defender following you around for most of the day. The wing gives you a lot more freedom, and the ability to cover the whole ground, I’ve enjoyed it.” – Grant in July 2015
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Stevo saying Grants gone
    My life is a very complicated drinking game.

7. Thanks strebla thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Bum View Post
    Stevo saying Grants gone
    Was just about to post that. Whilst searching, I saw at least six threads titled "Jarrad Grant". And that was only on the first page!
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Bit sad. I'm sure someone will find a place for him. Hope we get a trade rather than a straight delisting.

10. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Delisting doesn't make sense to me, surely there has to be more to it.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Is he not a free agent it may have been his choice.
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Delisting doesn't make sense to me, surely there has to be more to it.
    If no other team is interested, what else can you do ?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

If spindles ends up leaving we have pretty much cleaned the house with both him and Ayce gone. The question is, who is our next Polarising player?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Bum View Post
    Stevo saying Grants gone
    Quitting or sacking?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Quitting or sacking?
    He'll be delisted or traded apparently.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    He'll be delisted or traded apparently.
    We can't trade him as a new club doesn't have to trade. He's an unrestricted free agent??