Thanks Thanks:  34
Likes Likes:  189
Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Jarrad Grant

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jarrad Grant

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    How long has he been in the system V Grant? poor comparison.
    I wasnt comparing the performance, but how people perceive them. Some see what he could be and want to keep him, others see his faults and want to delist him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    I wasnt comparing the performance, but how people perceive them. Some see what he could be and want to keep him, others see his faults and want to delist him.
    Well, we haven't really seen much of Skinner yet have we. Grant needs to be put in a do or die situation I think. The club might just say ' look, you have three games to show us what you can do, or you are traded.'.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Skinner has not shown a quarter of what Grant has.
    He has to the same point in their careers. In Grant's second season at the club he played 1 game and got 1 kick. I'm not convinced Skinner will make it but Grant has delivered very little over an extended period of time.

It it weren't for a string of good games back in 2010 Grant would have done nothing of note in his 5 years at the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    This is not what you expected when you opened this thread.

I had local footy commitments yesterday so I have only watched the game today. Last night I read all the comments about Jarrad Grant so I paid specific attention to his game.

He made two bad mistakes - his little chip kick in the first quarter that went straight to a Richmond player and he didn't get body contact when Edwards marked the high one. (He did have a pressured kick around the corner in the 3rd that was marked by Richmond but it was hardly a clanger).

Just in the first quarter he was directly responsible for Brian Lake's first two shots at goal and directly involved in Hooper's goal.

Later in the game he left his man to spoil, followed up and ran hard to mark in our pocket before chipping to Skinner. It was one of very few decent passages of play we had.

All in all, I thought he was pretty solid.
    Good thread SS. I must confess that I get frustrated with guys like Grant that struggle to reach their potential because they often come across as lax.

That being said, we have to keep him at all costs and try our best to make it work.

The next 12 months are huge for him in my opinion.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Sundays game may have been painful watching Grant get run around by Edwards but it may also be a very handy lesson too. Everything is not always a catastrophe.

Personally I think Edwards is a pretty smart player too.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that the Coach is determined to re-build and re-educate Grant. The way McCartney has spoken about Grant I'm sure he will stay on our list and will remain a project player (albeit a high draft pick project player.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LongWait View Post
    I think that the Coach is determined to re-build and re-educate Grant. The way McCartney has spoken about Grant I'm sure he will stay on our list and will remain a project player (albeit a high draft pick project player.)
    Agreed, he still needs to mature more, and the next few years will be big ones for him.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Agreed, he still needs to mature more, and the next few years will be big ones for him.
    Fair enough. This is his fourth year in the system. Surely only a fifth is required to know for sure if he's ready.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough. This is his fourth year in the system. Surely only a fifth is required to know for sure if he's ready.
    We know talls take a longer time to mature. Grant is what 22 years old?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We know talls take a longer time to mature. Grant is what 22 years old?
    Physically yes. I guess there is not the intensity you would want there sometimes, but let's be frank, he has really improved this season. Definitely hasn't gone backwards.
    Just with the year we have had, desperately looking for answers / scapegoats / things to look forward to.

Post Thanks / Like

Fifth. Better get rid of 'im eh?

Just a couple of points to note, he came out of the under 18's very under-developed, and had his first year ruined by OP and a Stingray bite.

2009 saw him play one very ordinary game while developing.

2010 saw him play alonside Barry Hall in a side that could move the ball forward. He played many good games, kicked thirty goals or so and had a highest tally of six goals (isn't another player on the list that has managed to do that).

2011 was disappointing, though he wasn't helped by our decline in quality ball movement.

2012 is similar to 2011, and a poor start to the year saw him paddocked to build fitness and weight. It must be noted that he is adjusting to a new coach, and after coming back from a spell he played his best game of the year up forward, and has since played out of defense (for some reason, I suppose most likely development).

I can understand why some criticise him as he seems to be an exceptional talent that can't put it all together consistently. I also quesiton some of his efforts when the tide is against him.

What I can't understand is the expectation that such a clearly under-developed player was going to play consistent football for us over the first half of his career, especially recently considering we don't have a developed key forward to take the pressure off our younger ones and we can't kick the thing to a forward to save ourselves anyway. I also struggle to understand how anyone expects him to be a competent backman after a couple of games adjusting to the position in a team that is giving every opportunity to the opposition to dominate and kick massive winning scores.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I'm staggered Grant is getting praise from some of our supporters from the weekend.
    When you put it like that, it's hard to disagree.

Maybe I'm just satisfied seeing glimpses of the AFL traits he has. He's still a long way off being a consistent contributor but hopefully he is starting to move in the right direction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Fifth. Better get rid of 'im eh?

Just a couple of points to note, he came out of the under 18's very under-developed, and had his first year ruined by OP and a Stingray bite.

2009 saw him play one very ordinary game while developing.

2010 saw him play alonside Barry Hall in a side that could move the ball forward. He played many good games, kicked thirty goals or so and had a highest tally of six goals (isn't another player on the list that has managed to do that).

2011 was disappointing, though he wasn't helped by our decline in quality ball movement.

2012 is similar to 2011, and a poor start to the year saw him paddocked to build fitness and weight. It must be noted that he is adjusting to a new coach, and after coming back from a spell he played his best game of the year up forward, and has since played out of defense (for some reason, I suppose most likely development).

I can understand why some criticise him as he seems to be an exceptional talent that can't put it all together consistently. I also quesiton some of his efforts when the tide is against him.

What I can't understand is the expectation that such a clearly under-developed player was going to play consistent football for us over the first half of his career, especially recently considering we don't have a developed key forward to take the pressure off our younger ones and we can't kick the thing to a forward to save ourselves anyway. I also struggle to understand how anyone expects him to be a competent backman after a couple of games adjusting to the position in a team that is giving every opportunity to the opposition to dominate and kick massive winning scores.
    Good post.

Grant has more talent than most of our list and is likely to produce more from the age of 25+.

Having said that, next year is crucial for him. That development trend needs to spike upwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Good post.

Grant has more talent than most of our list and is likely to produce more from the age of 25+.

Having said that, next year is crucial for him. That development trend needs to spike upwards.
    So, to play devils advocate, if next year is crucial to him (given that he'll hit the magical 25 the year after) and he has a poor year, what do you think our position on him should be then?
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    So, to play devils advocate, if next year is crucial to him (given that he'll hit the magical 25 the year after) and he has a poor year, what do you think our position on him should be then?
    It's dependent on his attitude, but as long as it's OK, then I see no reason why he wouldn't be given another year.

I'm not sure what his contract status is, and it might be interesting if it ends after this season, but I'd re-sign him for two years.

We gave Walsh, Skipper and Wight 5+ years on the list with incredibly minimal return on all three. I don't see why we wouldn't do the same for Grant, who clearly has the ability to be a good AFL player. If McCartney's a good teacher, he should have Grant as his #1 subject.