Thanks Thanks:  34
Likes Likes:  189
Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Jarrad Grant

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jarrad Grant

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    It's dependent on his attitude, but as long as it's OK, then I see no reason why he wouldn't be given another year.

I'm not sure what his contract status is, and it might be interesting if it ends after this season, but I'd re-sign him for two years.

We gave Walsh, Skipper and Wight 5+ years on the list with incredibly minimal return on all three. I don't see why we wouldn't do the same for Grant, who clearly has the ability to be a good AFL player. If McCartney's a good teacher, he should have Grant as his #1 subject.
    Cheers. I like Grant, as frustrating as he's been. I'd keep him too.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

We gave Walsh, Skipper and Wight 5+ years on the list with incredibly minimal return on all three. I don't see why we wouldn't do the same for Grant, who clearly has the ability to be a good AFL player. If McCartney's a good teacher, he should have Grant as his #1 subject.
    Fair comparison, as he's probably performing to the Cam Wight level on 2012 form - mostly promising with the odd howler.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Well, there's no doubt that the coaching panel has issues with Grant's game. He's been dropped again, so it begs me to ask -- what IS his contract status?

I don't understand why we play him back (and then drop him).

Perhaps a quote for another thread, but Sherman has to be in trouble too -- doesn't he?

Post Thanks / Like

Well, there's no doubt that the coaching panel has issues with Grant's game. He's been dropped again, so it begs me to ask -- what IS his contract status?

I don't understand why we play him back (and then drop him).

Perhaps a quote for another thread, but Sherman has to be in trouble too -- doesn't he?
    Doesn't bode well for either.

Grant a bit stiff I reckon.

Post Thanks / Like

To be brutally honest, I wouldn't be fazed if Grant were moved on. From an outsider's view, he just doesn't seem to have what is required in the intensity department. Don't wish him any ill will, but wouldn't be that disappointed to see his name on the trade table.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

He's out again this week. I would take it the MC didn't think much of his efforts. Perhaps he feels hard done by as well. I wonder if he and his manager would be interested in a trade?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I fully expect to see Grant at the club next season and under the careful tutelage of BMac. Anything else and the teaching mantra starts to ring awfully hollow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Fifth. Better get rid of 'im eh?

Just a couple of points to note, he came out of the under 18's very under-developed, and had his first year ruined by OP and a Stingray bite.

2009 saw him play one very ordinary game while developing.

2010 saw him play alonside Barry Hall in a side that could move the ball forward. He played many good games, kicked thirty goals or so and had a highest tally of six goals (isn't another player on the list that has managed to do that).

2011 was disappointing, though he wasn't helped by our decline in quality ball movement.

2012 is similar to 2011, and a poor start to the year saw him paddocked to build fitness and weight. It must be noted that he is adjusting to a new coach, and after coming back from a spell he played his best game of the year up forward, and has since played out of defense (for some reason, I suppose most likely development).

I can understand why some criticise him as he seems to be an exceptional talent that can't put it all together consistently. I also quesiton some of his efforts when the tide is against him.

What I can't understand is the expectation that such a clearly under-developed player was going to play consistent football for us over the first half of his career, especially recently considering we don't have a developed key forward to take the pressure off our younger ones and we can't kick the thing to a forward to save ourselves anyway. I also struggle to understand how anyone expects him to be a competent backman after a couple of games adjusting to the position in a team that is giving every opportunity to the opposition to dominate and kick massive winning scores.
    Just the most accurate post I've read! Thank you!! It's all fact! Couldn't have written the last paragraph any better

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I fully expect to see Grant at the club next season and under the careful tutelage of BMac. Anything else and the teaching mantra starts to ring awfully hollow.
    Unless Grant doesn't meet McCartney's "teaching quality people the right way to play " mantra.

It seems to me McCartney has invested a lot of time in Grant this year to try to turn around a player that had badly stagnated and appeared to have lost direction, perhaps he feels that effort is being reciprocated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Unless Grant doesn't meet McCartney's "teaching quality people the right way to play " mantra.

It seems to me McCartney has invested a lot of time in Grant this year to try to turn around a player that had badly stagnated and appeared to have lost direction, perhaps he feels that effort is being reciprocated.
    It seems to me McCartney has done nothing but rip him down and destroy him.

I would be surprised if Grant was at the club next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    It seems to me McCartney has done nothing but rip him down and destroy him.

I would be surprised if Grant was at the club next year.
    Rip him down and destroy him? He'd be going nowhere with the previous approach, you don't think it was worth putting the emphasis on him to start delivering.

If he goes to another club he'll have similar career to his close mate Everitt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    If he goes to another club he'll have similar career to his close mate Everitt.
    I disagree. I think he'd kill it elsewhere.

I am firmly against getting rid of Grant. He is one of the very few players on our list who has the potential to be a matchwinner.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

One more year to see a change in intensity, regardless of onfield results. If the intensity changes, then with the talents he has, the results will follow eventaully.

but if the intensity doesnt change, then we trade him while he still has currency.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I disagree. I think he'd kill it elsewhere.
    How many players have we had that have "killed it elsewhere", especially fringe players?

In the modern era, only Ward & Brown have performed elsewhere - but were certainly not fringe.
    Hill is still a frontrunner, Reid has done squat at GWS, Skipper had one decent year at AFL level and Everitt is in and out of the Sydney side, one which is often regarded as the benchmark for player development.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    How many players have we had that have "killed it elsewhere", especially fringe players?

In the modern era, only Ward & Brown have performed elsewhere - but were certainly not fringe.
    Hill is still a frontrunner, Reid has done squat at GWS, Skipper had one decent year at AFL level and Everitt is in and out of the Sydney side, one which is often regarded as the benchmark for player development.
    Its true - we have had much more good fortune trading fringe players out than aquiring them - except when we did a 'swap' such as Harbrow for Sherman or Vezpremi for Everitt.

As a rule, it seems turning the fringes of the list over quickly, and using proceeds (picks and list spots) towards the draft reaps the most benefits over time.

If we are only holding on to Vezpremi, DJ and Sherman because they are 'in the right age group' then the above is an argument to draft hungry mature age players from the second tier comps in their places.