Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Talking trades

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Talking trades

Carlton making a play for Kurt Tippett & would be prepared to let Bryce Gibbs & another player go in return.

Farren Ray may be a Demon next week.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Carlton making a play for Kurt Tippett & would be prepared to let Bryce Gibbs & another player go in return.

Farren Ray may be a Demon next week.
    The Blues with Tippett would be a lot stronger as long as Waite could stay on the park.

Having to give up Gibbs would be a big price to pay. Whilst he's not hit his straps completely I think he's only one more preseason away from making a significant impact as a utility.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Essendon will improve next year regardless but I am not sure they have done the right thing with Goddard. He is simply not worth the rumoured contract he was offered. I have never thought he was even close to being as good as what some do. He is a good player with good skills but not elite in any position.

Any team that adds him is going to be better for it initially but it will impact their list managment down the track especially after paying overs for Hurley. Credit for being aggressive but at what cost?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The Blues with Tippett would be a lot stronger as long as Waite could stay on the park.

Having to give up Gibbs would be a big price to pay. Whilst he's not hit his straps completely I think he's only one more preseason away from making a significant impact as a utility.
    Gibbs seems to always be one season away from making a significant impact. He's been good but never had the elite impact he was expected to. If I was Carlton, I'd take the chance. It'd be a risk but one with a huge potential upside.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Tippett is knocking back a more lucrative offer from the Crows to return home. Why would he end up in Victoria?

If the Crows don't trade him to Brisbane/GC he'll just go into the PSD and end up at GC. He wants to go home, not earn more money.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Tippett is knocking back a more lucrative offer from the Crows to return home. Why would he end up in Victoria?

If the Crows don't trade him to Brisbane/GC he'll just go into the PSD and end up at GC.
    It's looking like it may be more about the money than the location. His manager came out yesterday and mentioned Sydney as a possible landing spot so if that's the case Victorian clubs would be in play. Given where he's at with the concussions, he may have changed his outlook and be looking to cash in now.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

If the Crows don't trade him to Brisbane/GC he'll just go into the PSD and end up at GC. He wants to go home, not earn more money.
    There were rumors floating around he was contemplating not playing at all due to the multiple concussions he received this season.

Post Thanks / Like

He's being linked to Collingwood on a big money offer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    He's being linked to Collingwood on a big money offer.
    Surely Collingwood would be close to their Salary cap limit?

Or do they have a bottomless pit?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

Depends. Do you mean officially or unofficially?
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

According to the Hun "The Magpies are expected to find $1.15 million of salary cap relief - of which at least $800,000 would be needed for Tippett - by trading key forward Chris Dawes and midfielder Sharrod Wellingham and listing four veterans next season."

Post Thanks / Like

This surprised me again in the Hun "The Crows have again confirmed Tippett has no "exit clause" in his contract setting his price at a second-round draft pick."

A bargain I would think.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems to be never ending.

The story I read said they expect have $1.15 milion free if they lose Wellingham, trade Dawes, and put 4 players on the veterans list.

If they get Tippet at $800-900K a year that would mean in the last 2 years they'd have signed Tippet, Swan, Thomas, Pendlebury, and Cloke all on somewhere near $800K. That's $4 milion on just 5 players, plus they've resigned Beams and recruited Jolly on big money recently too.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Talking trades

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    It seems to be never ending.

The story I read said they expect have $1.15 milion free if they lose Wellingham, trade Dawes, and put 4 players on the veterans list.

If they get Tippet at $800-900K a year that would mean in the last 2 years they'd have signed Tippet, Swan, Thomas, Pendlebury, and Cloke all on somewhere near $800K. That's $4 milion on just 5 players, plus they've resigned Beams and recruited Jolly on big money recently too.
    Surely you are not suggesting that Collingwood are somehow evading the salary cap?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LongWait View Post
    Surely you are not suggesting that Collingwood are somehow evading the salary cap?
    I wouldn't dare, merely pointing out they must have about 25 players earning the league minimum.

Free agency could be an intersting proposition for Collingwood, in particular restricted free agency. If Collingwood can't beat the formal offer from opposition clubs (all of which is applied to the salary cap) for their players, or can't offer over and above what a restricted free agent gets offered from their current club, then they are going to struggle. Offering 3rd party deals won't be an option.

I can see Collingwood chasing mostly senior out of contract players who aren't yet restricted free agents, like Tippet, it's the only way to dodge the transparency free agency creates.