Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quality Talls

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quality Talls

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    See Murphy's form in 05, ran hard to provide an option whenever we needed it. He ended up 4th in the league for marks, due purely to his workrate - when tracked, he basically covered the same ground as a midfielder.
    Exactly and from late 2005 into early 2006 we started playing him deeper and completely took out CHF as a position. In no way am I saying that type of player wouldn't work for us I am saying Eade hasn't shown a desire to use them for some time now. I certainly hope this changes.

Post Thanks / Like

Was there a rumour that Murphy had groin issues at the time he was moved deeper into the forward-line?

Regarding the Grand Final it looked to me like Geelong were trying to run the ball out of their back-line - extra man, handpass crazy to find the free player who can run forward - perhaps with the difference that they didn't have a couple of designated kickers (eg McMahon and Gilbee). However, once they had someone running they then look for a leading target around chf or the hff who then took the ball deep.

Seemed like what you have been calling for DT - and those presenting around chf or on the hff didn't need to be big, they just needed to present like Chapman and also Kelly. They then tried to set someone up in the fifty but if no option was immediately available went deep to the goal-square where someone was positioned who they hoped could at least hold their own in a contest (N Ablett, Mooney).

Maybe this is a bit of a simple reading as they also tried to use the corridor a lot as well, but I can't see why we couldn't modify our attack to be along these lines.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Possibly but I dont think they would want to draw an opposition player into the space that they want to carry the ball in. If you lead then opponents will follow you to that space. Certainly could do it but I am not sure they WANT to do it that way which is pretty much my entire point.
    In theory, that works fine. What about situations where we cannot generate space in front of the ball carrier due to other teams zones, numbers back etc? We can't be a one trick pony where all we do is run into the space in front of us. As soon as the space disappears we quickly throw it on the boot to a 3 on 1, or chip sideways or handpass to people under pressure, as we look up, can't run and have no one presenting. I'm guessing I'm just making the exact point you have been, right? That we need to do 'something' do our game plan and structures which can provide us efficient alternatives to bringing the ball forward with speed and playing to our strengths.

Interesting how 'Bomber' said that he really wanted to 'copy' the Bulldogs style from 2006, high scoring, play on and attack at every chance. We need to get back to our basics, and tinker with a few things I think.

Personally, I'm happy to have a coach that will experiment and try new things. Eade has certainly done that with his game style over the past few years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McMahon#23 View Post
    In theory, that works fine. What about situations where we cannot generate space in front of the ball carrier due to other teams zones, numbers back etc? We can't be a one trick pony where all we do is run into the space in front of us. As soon as the space disappears we quickly throw it on the boot to a 3 on 1, or chip sideways or handpass to people under pressure, as we look up, can't run and have no one presenting. I'm guessing I'm just making the exact point you have been, right? That we need to do 'something' do our game plan and structures which can provide us efficient alternatives to bringing the ball forward with speed and playing to our strengths.

Yep agree with all of that. I liked what we did against Stkilda in our drawn game. We might have looked ugly but we actually spotted up targets coming up the ground and changed our style against a team which had historically zoned up in the midfield and really clogged us up.

Quote Originally Posted by McMahon#23 View Post
    Interesting how 'Bomber' said that he really wanted to 'copy' the Bulldogs style from 2006, high scoring, play on and attack at every chance. We need to get back to our basics, and tinker with a few things I think.

Personally, I'm happy to have a coach that will experiment and try new things. Eade has certainly done that with his game style over the past few years.
    The thing the cats do that I really like is work together as a back 6. They all are willing to leave an opponent to make 2 on 1 contests and they take alot of marks like that. They then spread very quickly. They are also better around the stoppages than we are which gives them the confidence to run forward as hard as they do. Love giving a backwards handball to a sweeper who then has the whole field in front of him to hit an option. On the weekend I didn't watch that closely (was actually on my footy trip) but Ottens and Mooney both spent time as lead up players as did Johnson and Chapman.

I dont think they play our exact style but they do have that all out attack mentality which I suppose is easy to do when you have such a reliable back 6. I actually see us as potentially being able to have something similar. We were right up their for marks inside our defensive 50 from opposition kicks this year. We are building a very tall but mobile backline that will hopefully be able to stand on its own two feet as a back 6 and not rely too much on numbers getting back. Harris plays a fairly similar style to Scarlett and with Everitt, Williams, Morris, Gilbee (plays tall) and even Wight we have a good mix of tall running players. If we could put a bit more pressure on the opposition as they come forward I think we can become a very good team defensively. Seems miles away now but it can turn around pretty quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Toast View Post
    Was there a rumour that Murphy had groin issues at the time he was moved deeper into the forward-line?

Vaguely remember something. We have other guys who can do it though and none of them even try. When you see experienced players like Aker and Johnson seeeing a big hole to lead into and actually running the other way I think its fair to assume its a deliberate act. I think we missed Cross so much cause he would sometimes use his massive engine to sprint across the ground and atleast give us an option to go to in space.

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Toast View Post

Seemed like what you have been calling for DT - and those presenting around chf or on the hff didn't need to be big, they just needed to present like Chapman and also Kelly. They then tried to set someone up in the fifty but if no option was immediately available went deep to the goal-square where someone was positioned who they hoped could at least hold their own in a contest (N Ablett, Mooney).

Maybe this is a bit of a simple reading as they also tried to use the corridor a lot as well, but I can't see why we couldn't modify our attack to be along these lines.
    Being big helps but anyone would be better than nothing at all. Ottens went to CHF when he was resting and must have created 3 or 4 goals just through either marking on the lead or creating a spillage that the cats players swarmed off.

macca028 Guest

Dont know where to write it so ill just write it here, just heard chris bond is going to the freo dockers. He will be incharge of list management.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca028 View Post
    Dont know where to write it so ill just write it here, just heard chris bond is going to the freo dockers. He will be incharge of list management.
    Sockeye just posted it on a thread as well.
    Bulldog Pride will never die

hargs37 Guest

Think personalt that they have at least one bloke to stand up in that key marking forward role. Just not sure which one. Skipper, who showed he has the potential, if left in the side long enough, or Doogs, if given a similar chance. Would love to see big skip take the bull by the horns, like he did against the saints, and also a game a few years back where he slotted a cool half dozen, including a freak from the boundry. A tall draftee will take some time so one of these blokes needs to step up. No need for thew likes of McGregor or Playfair, as they couldn't play consistantly enough at there own clubs. The risks havent worked in the past(Rawlings) so time to start from scratch with a young bloke.
    Ps Can someone who knows a bit about this years draftees please lend us the benefit of your wisdom, and not assume we all know who these names you've mentioned,are and where they're from. Ta!