Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bring Me Fantasia's Head.

Again the defenders of Fantasia point to Eade.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Garbage, this line gets thrown out all the time and it's utter crap.

3 of the 4 senior coaches got moved on last year, the other had a contact and will be gone this year. The only coach who kept/will keep his job was Peter German who got his team into the grand final.

McCartney, King, Grant, and Smith are all new additions this season.
    So Eade's assistants underneath him got blamed too!
    Recruiting was fine, list management and contracts great, no problems from president or CEO.
    All stems from one bloke really.

Post Thanks / Like

When the question about his replacement looms, IIRC the only reason Fantasia's position and hiring was created was pure and simply due to the poor relationship between Cambell Rose and Eade.

Well, they're both gone and we have since hired Jason McCartney as our list manager.

I bid you farewell Fantasia.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    You can't judge the 2012 season until you see who we delist, and who we hang on to.
    4th last with a disgusting percentage and obvious holes in the last.

You may need to wait but i certainly don't. The season is officially over we need to react now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    4th last with a disgusting percentage and obvious holes in the last.

You may need to wait but i certainly don't. The season is officially over we need to react now.
    What is the solution? Is it a coaching problem? Is it a Management problem? Are wholesale changes required to the football club.

Obviously we need a thorough review into the season. This review should be into all aspects of the Football club from Senior Management to the Football Dept. We really need an independent review that can provide us, the members, with a thorough analysis as to where we are at and how do we change our club to become a stronger more sustainable entity as we head into the future.

Unfortunately I can't see us heading down this path as an independent review will probably show up a huge gamut of issues whereby wholesale changes would be required.

I am of the firm opinion that the Head Coach is not too blame for the overall performance of the football club. He has inherited a list that is inexperienced; an ageing list of other key players; poor list management; some long term injuries. Yes there are game day mistakes that have been made but overall we need to support to be able to implement change to the club from a football department perspective. He has a plan and plans take time to develop whether it be 2, 3 or 4 years. There, however, needs to be significant improvement in our list next year. This improvement does not just stem from the no. of wins it really should be based on whether there has been significant improvement in the development of our players. This needs to be thoroughly assessed at the end of next year. If then it is found that we have not improved significantly then we need to assess the Head Coach's position.

Where is the leadership within the club? Where are Smorgon and Garlick? We hear little from these guys especially regarding the future strategic direction of the club. How are we placed financially? We all know that we have struggled financially, but has our situation become worse due to the significant loss of revenue due to reduced memberships. Of course performance on the football field has a huge impact on membership retention, however other teams often go through transition phases where their teams underperform or are woeful, yet they don't seem to have the same amount of membership decline as us (this is a broad assumption - not sure how true a statement). It will be interesting to review our financial statements once they are released.

For the best interests of the club and to ensure its longer term viability David Smorgon needs to step down immediately, not at the end of 2013. We can't afford another season like this. We need new direction from the top. As much as Smorgon has done an overall decent job it is time for change. We need to someone to give the football club an overhaul and provide the leadership it so desperately requires.
    Last edited by whythelongface; 03-09-2012 at 10:12 AM. Reason: changed do to don't in the following sentence "yet they don't seem to have the same amount of membership decline as us"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    What is the solution? Is it a coaching problem? Is it a Management problem? Are wholesale changes required to the football club.

Obviously we need a thorough review into the season. This review should be into all aspects of the Football club from Senior Management to the Football Dept. We really need an independent review that can provide us, the members, with a thorough analysis as to where we are at and how do we change our club to become a stronger more sustainable entity as we head into the future.

Unfortunately I can't see us heading down this path as an independent review will probably show up a huge gamut of issues whereby wholesale changes would be required.

I am of the firm opinion that the Head Coach is not too blame for the overall performance of the football club. He has inherited a list that is inexperienced; an ageing list of other key players; poor list management; some long term injuries. Yes there are game day mistakes that have been made but overall we need to support to be able to implement change to the club from a football department perspective. He has a plan and plans take time to develop whether it be 2, 3 or 4 years. There, however, needs to be significant improvement in our list next year. This improvement does not just stem from the no. of wins it really should be based on whether there has been significant improvement in the development of our players. This needs to be thoroughly assessed at the end of next year. If then it is found that we have not improved significantly then we need to assess the Head Coach's position.

Where is the leadership within the club? Where are Smorgon and Garlick? We hear little from these guys especially regarding the future strategic direction of the club. How are we placed financially? We all know that we have struggled financially, but has our situation become worse due to the significant loss of revenue due to reduced memberships. Of course performance on the football field has a huge impact on membership retention, however other teams often go through transition phases where their teams underperform or are woeful, yet they do seem to have the same amount of membership decline as us (this is a broad assumption - not sure how true a statement). It will be interesting to review our financial statements once they are released.

For the best interests of the club and to ensure its longer term viability David Smorgon needs to step down immediately, not at the end of 2013. We can't afford another season like this. We need new direction from the top. As much as Smorgon has done an overall decent job it is time for change. We need to someone to give the football club an overhaul and provide the leadership it so desperately requires.
    Finanacially the club expects to make a profit again as it has done in the last few years.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

There will be a review but it won't be as extensive as posters want it to be. The review will focus on players to keep and delist etc. The club is thinking of the longer term and will point to the fact that we have debuted 19 players in two years and we need to build from the bottom up and not find short term solutions.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    There will be a review but it won't be as extensive as posters want it to be. The review will focus on players to keep and delist etc. The club is thinking of the longer term and will point to the fact that we have debuted 19 players in two years and we need to build from the bottom up and not find short term solutions.
    The crux of the problem is that the review is only of the football department and not the club as a whole.

Post Thanks / Like

"Of course performance on the football field has a huge impact on membership retention, however other teams often go through transition phases where their teams underperform or are woeful, yet they don't seem to have the same amount of membership decline as us (this is a broad assumption - not sure how true a statement)"

Those teams have had success, I still dont call finals appearance as success. You take Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, they have bad runs and still post 40k members...Why, they have a culture of success - that is GF appearance. Until that happens we will always be cellar dwellers and have our hands out to the AFL saying "more please".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    "Of course performance on the football field has a huge impact on membership retention, however other teams often go through transition phases where their teams underperform or are woeful, yet they don't seem to have the same amount of membership decline as us (this is a broad assumption - not sure how true a statement)"

Those teams have had success, I still dont call finals appearance as success. You take Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, they have bad runs and still post 40k members...Why, they have a culture of success - that is GF appearance. Until that happens we will always be cellar dwellers and have our hands out to the AFL saying "more please".
    Sick of it bring called a hand out it is an equalisation payment that most teams get due to the unevenness of Anzac day etc that only certain clubs play every year. Each club gets an amount according to the draw. Also with the media rights no club is in trouble of being extinct unless they internally do things extremely wrong. Their has to be a certain amount of teams in the competition for the rights to be honoured.

The AFL owns all clubs and watches over how they all run, they tried privatising years ago and it was proved it doesn't work look at the EPL.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Sack everyone. Whinge, moan and point the finger. Someone's head must role. We need someone to blame and unless we see blood on the floor we are accepting mediocrity.

Bring back Rocket, Sack Fantasia as he hasn't had a kick all year. Go out and recruit some b grade forward, maybe Fev or a bush legend who is the next Pods.

We need to go out and recruit more DJs and Vez types as we have a gap in the list of that age. Who cares if they can't play as long as they are the right age. Short term fixes are the way to go. Sydney do it and it works for them.

Trade all of our young talls as they are not champions yet. Doesn't matter that they have played bugger all games and are not even filled out yet, they need to do more.

Boyd, Wallis, Libba and Smith are too slow and can't kick. We need more Ryan Lonie types that are scared of their own shadow. They can't get the ball but if they do they will kick it beautifully.

Have I missed anything? Good because now I am gonna go and kick the dog because even though he didn't have anything to do with anything he is still a dog and surely must take some of the blame.

Post Thanks / Like

You call it equalizastion, everyone else calls it a hand out...lets face it if we had 40k members we would get very very little...ala C'wood.

Like it or not we are getting assistance from AFL (special assistance) to stay alive, we cant stand on our own two feet at this time....30k members will not do it and you cant live from year to year wishing that the TV right deals get higher.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    Sack everyone. Whinge, moan and point the finger. Someone's head must role. We need someone to blame and unless we see blood on the floor we are accepting mediocrity.

Bring back Rocket, Sack Fantasia as he hasn't had a kick all year. Go out and recruit some b grade forward, maybe Fev or a bush legend who is the next Pods.

We need to go out and recruit more DJs and Vez types as we have a gap in the list of that age. Who cares if they can't play as long as they are the right age. Short term fixes are the way to go. Sydney do it and it works for them.

Trade all of our young talls as they are not champions yet. Doesn't matter that they have played bugger all games and are not even filled out yet, they need to do more.

Boyd, Wallis, Libba and Smith are too slow and can't kick. We need more Ryan Lonie types that are scared of their own shadow. They can't get the ball but if they do they will kick it beautifully.

Have I missed anything? Good because now I am gonna go and kick the dog because even though he didn't have anything to do with anything he is still a dog and surely must take some of the blame.
    Love it ^^^
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post

What about Richmond? They haven't had success in what 32 years - a generation and a half ago - yet they still have a membership base of 40K this year. What is their secret? Is it support that follows the family line from Grandparents to parents to children? This is simply a question to find out how they continue to hold onto and even increase their membership despite years of mediocricy.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Bring Me Fantasia's Head.

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    What about Richmond? They haven't had success in what 32 years - a generation and a half ago - yet they still have a membership base of 40K this year. What is their secret? Is it support that follows the family line from Grandparents to parents to children? This is simply a question to find out how they continue to hold onto and even increase their membership despite years of mediocricy.
    There success is the ability to always finish ninth.....