Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 33343536373839404142434445 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2012 Draft - Who do you like?

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Noticed Quigley on BF had us picking up Jack Frost at 51.
    Warning if you read his phantom it's of war and Peace proportions.
    If Frost could kick he would already be on an AFL list - does everything else very, very well.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    If I'm not crazy for being partial to Bate joining the club (if we don't select Membrey who seems to play a similar role), maybe I am crazy for, the more I think of it, wanting Grundy.
    For some reason, over the last few days I've giving a lot of thought to the merits of us picking up Grundy. He could potentially be an elite ruck/forward and significantly better than what we have on the list at the moment. He should be able to play just about right away and in a couple of years should be capable of holding down a key role either in ruck or forwards.

The concern of course is we have a lot of talls on the list. I can't see us making wholesale changes when we appear quite confident in Campbell, and we'll persist with Roughead and Cordy for a while longer yet.

It could be one we look back on and regret though if Grundy does turn into a generational ruck/forward who can kick 40+ goals a year.

Post Thanks / Like

Grundy's quirky manner would be a hit with the fans but I wouldn't pick him unless we are sure Roughead can only make it as a defender.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Grundy's quirky manner would be a hit with the fans but I wouldn't pick him unless we are sure Roughead can only make it as a defender.
    I tend to agree, I still really see Roughead ultimately ending up a ruck/forward and we seem very confident in Campbell's ability to play a similar role. If our guys turn out to be half as good as Grundy though, we've stuffed up.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Grundy could be drafted as a forward and move into the Ruck down the track.
    Last edited by GVGjr; 17-11-2012 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Typo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    I tend to agree, I still really see Roughead ultimately ending up a ruck/forward and we seem very confident in Campbell's ability to play a similar role. If our guys turn out to be half as good as Grundy though, we've stuffed up.
    Stuffed up ? Not if we gain an elite player at pick 6 (and 5) that turns into something akin to a Pendlebury, StevieJ type. I like Grundy's prospects but would be more chuffed to pick up potential elite outside ball users given our current list of worker bees.

Post Thanks / Like

Emma Quayle has written an indeoth draft analysis, well worth a read.

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/...116-29hnj.html
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Stuffed up ? Not if we gain an elite player at pick 6 (and 5) that turns into something akin to a Pendlebury, StevieJ type. I like Grundy's prospects but would be more chuffed to pick up potential elite outside ball users given our current list of worker bees.
    Fair point, I probably went too far with that comment - and the overwhelming consideration should be how good the players we select end up, but missing on an elite tall when we currently don't have any on the list would really hurt.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know. I feel a bit nervous about those who lack the hard yards of Junior footy. This draft is so critical.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    I don't know. I feel a bit nervous about those who lack the hard yards of Junior footy. This draft is so critical.
    Hard yards, as in blokes who haven't played all their lives? late comers to the game?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Hard yards, as in blokes who haven't played all their lives? late comers to the game?
    Yes. Grundy is an amazing athlete but there's an article where it says he has not even been taught how to ruck yet. And people are touting him on the boards as a ruck.
    What we need so so badly are skills. Kicking and delivery into the Fwd line. It's so critical.
    We have decent backs, grunt in midfield, but our entries are awful. I would welcome him, but it's one of the riskier picks, fine for a club with lots of picks in the top ten. We have two.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Yes. Grundy is an amazing athlete but there's an article where it says he has not even been taught how to ruck yet. And people are touting him on the boards as a ruck.
    I'm not convinced about that comment, but given his short time in the game I definitely see he has a lot of scope for continued improvement. The good thing is, even if he hasn't yet had the development he needs, he's pretty handy naturally. His tap work is already a feature of his game and because of his basketball background he has very good hands.

I'd pose a slightly different question, if he can make the transition as well as he has thus far, how high is his ceiling in an AFL environment?

Post Thanks / Like

Of course he has been coached in rucking. Surely it's a misquote.

Matt Rendell was involved, for one.

Post Thanks / Like

Numbers add up for Brodie Grundy | News.com.au
    http://www.news.com.au/sport/...grun...226514310054 6 days ago – "I still haven't had anyone teach me how to ruck," Grundy says. ... But as he progressed through the ranks, Grundy began to question whether ..

Certainly so rare to find such a mobile player, so tall.

I guess it's hard because players of this type are so rare and now it looks like GWS are not interested.

Did he get any goals for Sturt this year Tand T? or every put forward?

Post Thanks / Like

Off the top of my head, not many at all at Leagye level. Was playing for the bottom team thouh.

Also played reserves and League thru the year.

I've posted this before but his strength is more his speed and agility. Would be one of the quickest big men in the league, and loves to tackle.

I'll try and get his stats.