Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 33 of 45 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2012 Draft - Who do you like?

Quote Originally Posted by Hobdog View Post
    I'm thinking that either Menzel or Stringer will be ours with pick 6. Who is the better pick between Macrae and O'Rourke?
    Agree, reckon it will be Stringer or Menzel.
    Risk reward policy, not sure on the other though

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Remi, what do you mean, Risk reward policy?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Sorry Remi, what do you mean, Risk reward policy?
    Menzel and Stringer have huge amount of ability but are both under serious injury concern. If not for their injuries the talk is they would be picked early on.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Menzel and Stringer have huge amount of ability but are both under serious injury concern. If not for their injuries the talk is they would be picked early on.
    Stringer was touted top 3 prior to doing his leg (albeit that call was premature as it was a long way out from the draft)

Menzel i assume would have been top 5 but he did his at 16.

I wouldnt mind if we picked one of them but both would be too risky.

I'm hoping Stringer and O'Rourke but wouldnt be unhappy with Menzel. Funnily enough i trust BMac's decisions when it comes to recruitment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Stringer was touted top 3 prior to doing his leg (albeit that call was premature as it was a long way out from the draft)

Menzel i assume would have been top 5 but he did his at 16.

I wouldnt mind if we picked one of them but both would be too risky.

I'm hoping Stringer and O'Rourke but wouldnt be unhappy with Menzel. Funnily enough i trust BMac's decisions when it comes to recruitment.
    It's not up to him.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    It's not up to him.
    You are right Chef, though he does seemingly have a large amount of input (see last years first rounder).

I also have faith in Macca and feel more confident in him being able to pick the players to play his style.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wimberga View Post
    You are right Chef, though he does seemingly have a large amount of input (see last years first rounder).

I also have faith in Macca and feel more confident in him being able to pick the players to play his style.
    He had a say in the type, but not the player. Dalrymple chose between Kerridge and Smith who he rated as the best inside mids still available at our pick.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not up to him.
    He would have a large say. I'm sure prior to the draft the team determines who they are after. Maybe on draft day if it doesn't pan out as hoped the recruitment team determines who they pick but I'm sure the coach almost has the final say/approval on who to draft pre draft day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    He would have a large say. I'm sure prior to the draft the team determines who they are after. Maybe on draft day if it doesn't pan out as hoped the recruitment team determines who they pick but I'm sure the coach almost has the final say/approval on who to draft pre draft day
    I'm not sure about that. I think the coaching staff would set an agenda of needs and the types we want, but it is up to the recruiter to identify the players that best fit the need/type we want and they would have the final say. I'm sure the recruiting staff and list manager would also be heavily involved in the discussions with the coaching staff for the need/type we most want too.

I'm not sure however whether our character assessments and the criteria we ultimately rank potential draftees on is something the coach has developed himself, or something all the key departments have been involved in. It's an all in process, but I think our new coach is perhaps slightly more involved in the process than Eade was - hard to say though - either way, I think we're heading in the right direction and we've nailed some decent selections over the past couple of years.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not up to him.
    I want a coach to back his recruiters but he also has to have some say in proceedings. I'd like to think he has talked to the top 6 or 7 guys at the very least given the position in the draft where we are selecting from.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I want a coach to back his recruiters but he also has to have some say in proceedings. I'd like to think he has talked to the top 6 or 7 guys at the very least given the position in the draft where we are selecting from.
    The coach has an input on what type of player he would like.

Eade asked Dalrymple for half backs who could kick and Dalrymple gave him Howard and Tutt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post

Eade asked Dalrymple for half backs who could kick and Dalrymple gave him Howard and Tutt.
    Given they weren't the better known names I'm sure he would have also done his own due diligence as well.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post

Did Dalrymple mishear Eade and thought he said "I want half-backs who can't get a kick." That however does not explain the selection of Tutt who has not even been played as a half-back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Think there are several people from each club at the combine interviewing their likely selections. I would assume (certainly hope) BMac was part of the team doing that process? Anyone have any insight into who attends the combine?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Superdog View Post
    Think there are several people from each club at the combine interviewing their likely selections. I would assume (certainly hope) BMac was part of the team doing that process? Anyone have any insight into who attends the combine?
    All senior coaches were in attendance at the combine. Also saw Bmac at various carnival games mid year.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"