Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 36 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2627282930313233343536373839404142434445 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2012 Draft - Who do you like?

Interesting, apart from Whitfield, there is some conjecture as to where everyone else will go

Most think Toumpas at 2, whilst we've heard various reports of Grundy, ORourke and Plowman at 3

Its going to be interesting to see how it all plays out

But as GVGjr has said, we should end up with 3 excellent prospects

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I can't see us taking both Menzel & Stringer, just too big risk coming off their injuries... I think we will go a little safer with at least one of our picks.
    Wise words. Two early picks isn't the time to roll the dice on players with injury concerns. I'm not against either of them but both of them might not be the solid selections we need.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    From just what I've read it appears that the first two picks will be two of Jon O'Rourke, Troy Menzel, Lachie Plowman, Jackson Macrae, Oliver Wines, Jake Stringer and Sam Mayes.

Taking into account Toumas will get picked by GWS and possibly Grundy anyone else would appear to be from left field.
    Impressive list isnt it?

O'Rourke and Plowman works for me but then again I could probably make 4 combinations from that list that I'd be more than happy about. A mate of mine in SA thinks Mayes is excatly like Griffen. Wouldn't be bad to add another Griff.

Post Thanks / Like

What are the chances of Colqhoun getting through to our 3rd pick? I think he is a good fit for us. Uses it well, good vision and the sort of player we lack coming off half back. Could end up a mid also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Sam L from HS tweeted it. Mark Stevens with the retweet which makes it more reliable I guess
    Why? Sam is also a dogs supporter and broke the Hansen signing.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    What are the chances of Colqhoun getting through to our 3rd pick? I think he is a good fit for us. Uses it well, good vision and the sort of player we lack coming off half back. Could end up a mid also.
    I think there is a big chance he would still be available. He reads the play so well and is a nice kick.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    Wise words. Two early picks isn't the time to roll the dice on players with injury concerns. I'm not against either of them but both of them might not be the solid selections we need.
    Without putting words in Mantis mouth, I think his view is if they are the best two available pick them, he is saying we as a club won't take that risk.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs hope for a dream elemen

THE Western Bulldogs midfield of the future is shaping as a band of ferocious ball winners which relishes tough contests.

2012 AFL Draft: Pick Me - Jono O'Rourke

The missing ingredient - polish - could be delivered at next week's draft in the form of Jono O'Rourke, who is firming as the Dogs' prized No.5 pick.

And the classy, smooth-moving midfielder would be a steal according to some rivals, who rate O'Rourke as the third-best talent in the draft.

But with GWS unlikely to chase midfielders with all of its first three selections, and Melbourne's infatuation with hard-nut Ollie Wines, the Dogs could be delivered a dream result.

"The Bulldogs are probably my preferred club," said O'Rourke, who is mates with Dogs defender Michael Talia.

"I think it's a team I could get involved in and use my strengths for. It's close to home and a good area, too."

Calder Cannons talent manager Ian Kyte said Whitten Oval would be a good fit for "Rolls-Royce" O'Rourke.

"He'd be sensational there. I wouldn't mind getting off (Tom) Liberatore and (Mitch) Wallis' handballs from inside and streaming down the wing," Kyte said.

O'Rourke shone for Vic Metro this year with his ball use tracking at 78 per cent and his ability to cut sides open with devastating bursts impressing coaches.

"He seems to glide around the ground and not be over-extending himself, but he never gets caught," Kyte said.

w"A couple of times he won the centre clearance and then hit a Joey (Daniher) up on the lead and it was AFL-like, it was very enjoyable to watch."

O'Rourke put his mix of inside and outside work down to decision making and modelling his game on Trent Cotchin and Scott Pendlebury.

"If I see a player who can win the ball you rely on them to get it out to you, but if you're in the spot to be that ball winner you have to make that decision, you cant be half-hearted," he said.

"If I'm in space I like to take my time to help my execution, but if I'm under the pump I can use that breakaway speed to give that extra bit of time."

THE JONO O'ROURKE FILE

HEIGHT: 184cm

WEIGHT: 73kg

POSITION: Classy midfielder

PREDICTED DRAFT RANGE: 3-8

IN THE MIX: GWS (No.3), Dogs (5), Lions (8)

PLAYS LIKE: Trent Cotchin
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Starting to get pretty excited about this draft and agree with those above who have said that whoever we pick, we should come away from this draft very happy.

My preferred 5-6 picks would be one of Stringer/Menzel as I think it is perhaps too risky to take both, and use the other pick to secure one of Macrae/O'Rourke/Mayes (in order of preference).

Macrae seems to really have that poise and time on the ball that players like Pendlebury have. I would love to have him, but seeing that he was not really on many radars last year and has only bolted this year, i dont know if that makes him slightly more risky.

Thanks for the link to the O'rourke pick me video - these have been pretty good thus far. He seems a lot safer bet and whilst they mentioned his consistency in the video, I really liked that they talked about him as a player that just impacts games and explodes from contests. If that isnt media spin, I'd also be happy to get him. The comparisons to Cotchin are also pretty exciting if accurate.

Additionally Mayes comes across as a more outside player with a deadly boot who again sounds exciting but I must admit I have not seen/read as much on him as the other two.

the only player I am not so keen on in our discussions is Plowman. Its not that I have anything against him as a player and if we did select him I would back the coach in, but I just think that with those early picks we should be targeting players that can really hurt the opposition around the ground and forward of centre, and therefore should not be selecting a rebounding KPP. I just cant think of a rebounding KPP that i would ever take over a damaging midfielder/forward if I was in the position of allocating a teams early draft picks.

Post Thanks / Like

Would be wrapped to get O'Rourke. I jumped at him at 3 in the phantom draft as i think his class will complement any midfield. If he is available we take him at 5, it's that simple for me.

Pick 6 is very intriguing, I'm convinced we will take Stringer with this pick. He has been to WO on multiple occasions and has trained with the club I just can't see why you would put so much effort in to a player if you're not going to take him. The kid can seriously play, give me another player in the TAC cup who kicked 10 goals in a game, it just didn't happen.

If we ended up with O'Rourke and Stringer 5 & 6 I'd be doing cartwheels.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think there is a big chance he would still be available. He reads the play so well and is a nice kick.
    Looks a very good sweeping type half back to me. What is the knock on him that would see him fall so far? Cant defend? I like the way he lowers his vision and the way he gathers plenty of h/ball receives which is something we need.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Looks a very good sweeping type half back to me. What is the knock on him that would see him fall so far? Cant defend? I like the way he lowers his vision and the way he gathers plenty of h/ball receives which is something we need.
    I'm not sure that there is much of a knock on him but maybe there isn't a lot of need for smallish defenders.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/2012/...op-30-2012.pdf

Kevin Sheehan's top 30 players. Good profiles with PDF - Pictures and stats.
    Anyone know about Josh Simpson?
    Some mates of mine ( Melb supporters gah ) have him as a bit of a smokie.
    We already have one speculative indig player so can't see us being intrested. Probably going to Adelaide or a WA club you would assume, but Collingwood rumoured to be very keen.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Kevin Sheehan?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/2012/...op-30-2012.pdf

Kevin Sheehan's top 30 players. Good profiles with PDF - Pictures and stats.
    Anyone know about Josh Simpson?
    Some mates of mine ( Melb supporters gah ) have him as a bit of a smokie.
    We already have one speculative indig player so can't see us being intrested. Probably going to Adelaide or a WA club you would assume, but Collingwood rumoured to be very keen.
    I wouldn't have thought a touted top 25 pick is that speculative. Simpson can play, I'd be surprised if he gets to pick 22.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"