Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs and big man Will Minson grapple with brave new world of free agency

Interesting to read what Will spoke about his enthusiasm for the club under Brendan McCartney.
    Also was quoted as saying "I love it here and support the direction Brendan is taking this group wholeheartedly," Minson said."

Just thought I would post a positive due to all the crap that has been thrown at the coach lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs and big man Will Minson grapple with brave new world of free agency

Good to see him re-sign. Also good to see those comments.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear Willllbur is sticking around. I had a quick peek at woof earlier, and discovered that there were 308 unread posts waiting for me! If Will hadn't signed, that number might have doubled!
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Very happy to read that Will has re-signed on dotted line. Needed that after yesterday's news.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Good to hear Willllbur is sticking around. I had a quick peek at woof earlier, and discovered that there were 308 unread posts waiting for me! If Will hadn't signed, that number might have doubled!
    Yes you are probably right. Good to see him get behind the coach isn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Yes you are probably right. Good to see him get behind the coach isn't it? ;)
    That bit I'm not fussed about
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I'm not sure why.

One would hope that Will would be on a stock standard contract seeing as though he wasn't in our best 10 players this year... well atleast that was the thoughts of the MC going by the B&F votes.
    Wouldn't be surprised if Will wanted to wait till season's end to see if he could get a better contract based on his impressive season, and once it was confirmed he wasn't in the top 10 the deal was quickly reached.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone else think we were playing a risky game trying to get him to take a 2 year deal instead of 3? Being an unrestricted free agent. He clearly really wanted the 3. I just don't see the disadvantage with another year at this point, particularly as far as front loading goes and our enormous salary cap space.

I feel he's had a rough trot with us at various stages and it could have been a good showing of faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by St 07 View Post
    Does anyone else think we were playing a risky game trying to get him to take a 2 year deal instead of 3? Being an unrestricted free agent. He clearly really wanted the 3. I just don't see the disadvantage with another year at this point, particularly as far as front loading goes and our enormous salary cap space.

I feel he's had a rough trot with us at various stages and it could have been a good showing of faith.
    Honestly I think it is poor form. They have taken a calculated risk in that they believe he won't be our number one ruckman in 2 years time.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Honestly I think it is poor form. They have taken a calculated risk in that they believe he won't be our number one ruckman in 2 years time.
    Will is 28 at the begining of next season - he'll be 30 when he comes out of contract. Not many players of his age are offered 3 years unless they are dead set guns. I suspect that the club would reassess Will's place on the list annually and offer him an extension before the final year if his form and health warrant it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LongWait View Post
    Will is 28 at the begining of next season - he'll be 30 when he comes out of contract. Not many players of his age are offered 3 years unless they are dead set guns. I suspect that the club would reassess Will's place on the list annually and offer him an extension before the final year if his form and health warrant it.
    All fair points LW, I'm no clairvoyant but I think Will has a few good years left.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Interesting to read what Will spoke about his enthusiasm for the club under Brendan McCartney.
    Also was quoted as saying "I love it here and support the direction Brendan is taking this group wholeheartedly," Minson said."

Just thought I would post a positive due to all the crap that has been thrown at the coach lately.
    Actually I see this as a big positive Desi. If anyone, at face value at least, could feel a tad down on the Club given Pearcegate and Stomparama, and I'm not at all suggesting justifiably so, it's Big Will. He could easily have said nothing of Brendan's direction and left it simply at loving the Club and his mates. I see this as a big tick for Will and his maturity and leadership qualities and yet another endorsement from a senior member of our list for what Brendan's endeavouring to deliver.
    Last edited by Doc26; 09-10-2012 at 09:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Actually I see this as a big positive Desi. If anyone, at face value at least, could feel a tad down on the Club given Pearcegate and Stomparama, and I'm not at all suggesting justifiably so, it's Big Will. He could easily have said nothing of Brendan's direction and left it simply at loving the Club and his mates. I see this as a big tick for Will and his maturity and leadership qualities and yet another endorsement from a senior member of our list for what Brendan's endeavouring to deliver.
    Nicely put Doc.

Pychologically for the club and supporters, Will's re-signing is important and his endorsement of the coach and coaching direction are welcomed (by me at least.)

Post Thanks / Like

I was dead sure he was goneski. I wasn't the only one on here.
    Unfortunately Doc26, not as confident as you. I reckon he stayed just so he could complete his engineering degree.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus