Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunter's gun

Post Thanks / Like

Hunter's gun

Link

WESTERN Bulldogs father-son selection Lachie Hunter has the potential to be three times better than his father.

So says the father himself, Mark Hunter, who played 130 games - including six as acting captain, and three finals - for the Dogs from 1988-96.

Mark Hunter, now 47, spoke to AFL.com.au as he dropped Lachie back at school in Williamstown on Monday afternoon, soon after the youngster was snapped up by his beloved Bulldogs with their third-round selection in this year's NAB AFL Draft (currently pick No. 46).

Lachie is the same height as his father (181cms) and is already a kilogram heavier (78kgs) than his playing weight.

Asked whether he sees much of himself in his son as a player, Mark Hunter said: "He's a different type of player, but he's got a lot of advantages over his old man. He's a left-footer, he's got good goal sense and he kicks a lot more goals than I ever did; whereas I was a right-footer and played mainly down back.

"He also won the agility test at the draft camp, which I would never have done.

"I hope he's bloody three times the player I was."

The proud father was "rapt" that his son would follow in his footsteps to Whitten Oval. But the process wasn't without its stresses. If a rival club had made a bid for Hunter and the Bulldogs weren't willing to take him with their next pick, he would have gone elsewhere. So Monday's news was met with great relief among the Hunter camp.

"The Bulldogs always expressed interest in him, so you hoped he'd end up there," Mark Hunter said. "And because they had a pretty ordinary season, they had early picks, so the way the draft (order) fell, there was a good chance he'd go there. But just to hear it and have it confirmed was a big relief."

The teenager is already familiar with the inner sanctum at Whitten Oval, having spent several training stints there as part of the club's father-son program.

"They've been great with him along the way and I'm sure it will help his transition because he knows a lot of the staff and quite a few of the players, and he's seen them train in pre-season so he knows how hard it'll be," his father said.

Mark coached Lachie at Williamstown juniors from under-9s to under-16s, for all but the 2006-07 seasons when he was a runner for the Bulldogs.

"We've got a great relationship, especially when it comes to footy," Mark said. "As his coach, I obviously spoke to him about his game along the way, and he's a really good listener.

"We always have a chat in the car on the way home. If you suggest something about his game that wasn't so good on the day, he never arks up and says, 'That's rubbish'; he might say, 'What do you mean by that?' and you explain it and he goes away and works on it. That's one of the traits that will hold him in good stead for his AFL career."

Much like his father, he won’t be going out of his way to attract attention.

"He doesn't say a lot; he's fairly reserved. He's not someone who'll be trying to grab headlines. He's well aware of his weaknesses and what he needs to improve, and I've seen him work on those things bit by bit. He knows it's only the start and that he needs to keep improving."

So will young Hunter make his AFL debut next season?

"That would be an absolute bonus," his father said. "You see under-18s and you realise how far they are away from AFL football, and I think it takes a while for them to get used to the system - unless you’re a higher draft pick like a Mitch Wallis or a Tom Liberatore."

With his son joining these Dogs father-son selections, Mark Hunter is enthusiastic about the future.

"It's great to watch the 'Libba', Wallis and Cordy boys," he said. "They're certainly the future of the Bulldogs and I look forward to sitting in the stands with their fathers and having a beer together after games."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hunter's gun

Good news isnt it BAD?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Good news isnt it BAD?
    Yes it is.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Very good news.

Any ideas who the next F/S in the pipeline is and how far away?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Very good news.

Any ideas who the next F/S in the pipeline is and how far away?
    I found this list:
    Lachlan Hunter – (2012 Draft)
    Luke Kennedy – (2013 Draft)
    Jayden Foster – (2013 Draft)
    Zaine Cordy – (2014 Draft)
    Josh Wallis – (2014 Draft)
    Darcy MacPherson - (2015 Draft)
    Jacob Smith (2015 Draft)
    Rhylee West – (2018 Draft)
    Sam Darcy – (2019 Draft)
    Cooper West – (2021 Draft)
    Kobi West – (2021 Draft)
    Kyan Eagleton - (2022 Draft)
    Mitchell Croft – (2022 Draft)
    Jordan Croft – (2022 Draft)
    Tom Garlick – (2023 Draft)
    Max Darcy – (2023 Draft)
    Jarvis Murphy – (2023 Draft)
    Jack Johnson – (2023 Draft)
    Harry Cameron – (2024 Draft)
    Lukas Eagleton – (2025 Draft)
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I found this list:
    Mantis can't wait for 2025

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I found this list:
    I hear he's a big bodied in and under scrapper who has modelled himself on Leigh Matthews

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    I hear he's a big bodied in and under scrapper who has modelled himself on Leigh Matthews
    Haha, is he born yet

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently Mitch Hahn had a son this week do add him to the list too
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

I believe Tom LIberatore has a younger brother who is very good.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I believe Tom LIberatore has a younger brother who is very good.
    Yes Ollie is his name.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone heard anything on Fossie or Rick Kennedy's kids?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Anyone heard anything on Fossie or Rick Kennedy's kids?

Peter Foster spoke about his son at one of the player sponsors lunches. He didn't give the impression that the boy was fully focused on his footy but Peter is as laconic as they come anyway.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Freddy McGuinness nust be a chance for a few kids to put their hands up and claim ownership as well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    Freddy McGuinness nust be a chance for a few kids to put their hands up and claim ownership as well
    I've wondered how this might work. If its just a paternity test, screw recruiting characters, lets recruit "players" We could even send our players to the Olympic village every four years with dodgy contraception. How's that for taking initiative?

Also I wonder how adopted kids are treated. I assume they don't count.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right