Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Young Western Bulldog Jordan Roughead to replace Brian Lake

Link

THE Western Bulldogs have earmarked Jordan Roughead as the man to replace Brian Lake after revealing the 30-year-old was set to play forward if he stayed at the club next year.
    The Dogs were still surprised at the level of animosity over their trade for Lake yesterday after accepting pick 41 and a shuffle of mid-20s picks with Hawthorn.

They are still in the race for Collingwood's Chris Dawes, but have ruled out interest in Essendon's Scott Gumbleton despite needing another key tall forward.

Roughead, 21, was initially slated as a ruckman and key forward but after playing back in the last five weeks, including a solid outing against Brisbane's Jonathan Brown, he will play next year at full-back.

The Dogs did push hard to secure Hawthorn's first-round draft pick in the trade.

But with Hawthorn the only club showing interest in Lake, they knew getting a first-round pick for a player who turns 31 next February was unlikely.

The Bulldogs now have father-son selection Lachie Hunter and five other picks inside 50, including selections five and six.

The Dogs yesterday signed ruckman and free agent Will Minson for two years, as recently flagged in the Herald Sun.

List manager Jason McCartney said Roughead was well placed to fill the void left by Lake.

"Roughead will play back. It's amazing what can come out of a year like this," he said. "We are trying to get games into these guys and we looked at Roughead as a back and he really held his own down there.

"He played one game early in the year on (Mitch) Clark and then when Brian was suspended he went back and played the last five or six games back there and took the best tall forward.

"It's amazing what can happen when kids get the opportunity."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Young Western Bulldog Jordan Roughead to replace Brian Lake

It's weird, I still just couldn't "envisage" Roughy as our new key defender but he did play some good games down back. It's just hard to picture it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by St 07 View Post
    It's weird, I still just couldn't "envisage" Roughy as our new key defender but he did play some good games down back. It's just hard to picture it!
    Did a pretty good job on arguably the best CHF (shown in the pic).

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    In that pic would it be (or was it) a free kick against Roughy. The umps don't like the hands around the forward.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by St 07 View Post
    It's weird, I still just couldn't "envisage" Roughy as our new key defender
    Neither can I.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I know, I followed him closely all season as did we all. Thought he had some terrific games. It's just a strange feeling. He's an absolute talent.

Post Thanks / Like

That is why you play kids in certain positions, give them a taste of it. Roughy was promising down back towards the end if the year. I'm not so sure he is/will be a regular full back, Fletcher Roberts possibly could be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    That is why you play kids in certain positions, give them a taste of it. Roughy was promising down back towards the end if the year. I'm not so sure he is/will be a regular full back, Fletcher Roberts possibly could be.
    Will be interesting to see which end of the ground both Roberts and Roughead end up at.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not all that keen on this move... Roughy is slow off the mark and has a wide turning circle. I guess he can play on the big logs, but I think the opposition will try and isolate him.

To me Roughy is our best developing ruckman and should be developed to play this role.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Will be interesting to see which end of the ground both Roberts and Roughead end up at.
    I liked Roberts in the Forward line for Willi, he took some good marks and his kicking is pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like

I liked Roberts in the Forward line for Willi, he took some good marks and his kicking is pretty good.
    Ditto - he's not big but he used his body well during the VFL finals
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I'm not all that keen on this move... Roughy is slow off the mark and has a wide turning circle. I guess he can play on the big logs, but I think the opposition will try and isolate him.
    To me Roughy is our best developing ruckman and should be developed to play this role.
    He's 200cm tall and dropped a heap of kgs last year while still appearing to be able to contest with the bigger guys. With the extra weiht gone I thought he looked a little sharper on his feet late last season.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

It will be horses for courses with Roughy I think. Depending on the match up available he could alternate between FB and CHB. I was surprised to see him go back last year initially, but I think he did enough to suggest that he may have a future in defense.

As BAD suggested, Roberts did show a bit up forward for Willy late in the season also.

I mentioned in another post that he may not have the bulk and size to play on opposition monsters, but it was pointed out to me by Greystache that he is heavier than Talia. Knowing one of Talia's uncles, I think Talia will eventually be big enough to handle the monsters along with Roughy and allow Roberts to play forward. Having said that, I don't know any of Fletch's uncles so he may in fact stack on some size also.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Think Roughy is slow off the mark, but once again more time spent in the back line will allow him to read the play better and allow him to get off the mark earlier. Think he can do a good job on the bigger guys but the more athletic types may be an issue.

Love having somebody like Roughy who can now play back, Ruck and Forward. Well done

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    It will be horses for courses with Roughy I think. Depending on the match up available he could alternate between FB and CHB.
    Yes agreed, we also have Williams (if he can stay on the park) who has done well on Buddy as well as Cloke. I am pretty sure he has beaten Cloke everytime he has played on him.

One thing, Roughy is quicker than Markovic.