Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs and big man Will Minson grapple with brave new world of free agency

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    I agree to a point but it does rob us of another experienced player which we do not have a lot of in terms of quality at the moment. Minson has had a good season but struggles to have any marking impact when going forward. We are back to potential ruckmen in Campbell or Cordy who you wouldn't see at this stage matching it with some of the better more experienced ruckmen going around.
    Is there any hope for Skinner as a ruckman?
    If a leap is his best attribute, why not use it?
    There are some good points in this thread. I have been pretty pro - Will this season, but the knock on his marking ability and mobility is fair enough I guess. If a club is willing to pay overs for him, good in some ways, but the hit to our morale would be pretty bad. He is reportedly wanting to stay.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs and big man Will Minson grapple with brave new world of free agency

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    Personally I want more around the ground from a ruckman than Will currently offers. Like him alot but if we got decent compensation I would not be overly broken hearted.
    Me neither. Prefer him to stay, but if he goes he goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LongWait View Post
    If we'd collapsed and given in to Will's manager immediately there would have been uproar on this board. Let's leave McCartney to do his job and assess the outcome when he's completed and not before.
    Don't worry we'll continue to collapse on field if Campbell or Cordy are our no. 1 rick next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    0 hope.
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 05-09-2012 at 08:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    There are some good points in this thread. I have been pretty pro - Will this season, but the knock on his marking ability and mobility is fair enough I guess. If a club is willing to pay overs for him, good in some ways, but the hit to our morale would be pretty bad. He is reportedly wanting to stay.
    Skinner is a long way off being a League player. I wouldn't be surprised to see him delisted. He can leap but it doesn't make a ruckman.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by St 07 View Post
    Give him 3 years, heavily front loaded contract. (we should have great salary cap depth for now) Pay him out in the 3rd year if he requests a trade for whatever reason, or slows down dramatically for whatever reason.
    In theory that would be a perfect scenario. The player has to sign off on it though and not all players agree to payments in that format. Regardless of all that financially, he shouldn't hurt our cap to much anyway considering he qualifies for the veterans list.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I want more around the ground from a ruckman than Will currently offers. Like him alot but if we got decent compensation I would not be overly broken hearted.
    And who are these readily available quality Dean Cox like players that are of Wills standard or higher going to come from? Certainly not our list.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

I think Ruffy and Campbell could be as adequate as Will. Obviously not straight away but in a year or two. I was simply saying that if he was more of a Cox type I would move heaven and earth to keep him but he isn't so I wouldn't.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Ruffy and Campbell could be as adequate as Will. Obviously not straight away but in a year or two. I was simply saying that if he was more of a Cox type I would move heaven and earth to keep him but he isn't so I wouldn't.
    Well said, it's not as if he has the ability to win games for us. We are not talking about Poly Farmer here, if we come up on top, I would consider it. The problem is he is out of contract so the AFL will determine what compensation we get. Does supply and demand come into their calculations when considering our compensation? If so, there would be a number of clubs who could be interested. I would not be disappointed if we kept him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    0 hope.
    Those two words sum up your entire outlook on life so wonderfully. :P

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Those two words sum up your entire outlook on life so wonderfully. :P
    Any need to get personal? You seem to be more miserable than me to worried about that post.
    You think Skinner can make it as an afl ruckman?

Post Thanks / Like

Worth noting that Woof had his as our 3rd best this year on the voting thread.
    Should give us some indication of his worth to us as a team.

I'd much rather we keep him.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    You think Skinner can make it as an afl ruckman?
    Not as a ruckman but maybe a 2IC?

Not sure where Ghost Dog was going with Skinner in the ruck comment. But the way the game is evolving, 3 man interchange, sub etc. You might have to look at single ruckmen with athletic multi purpose back ups.

Skinner looks like someone who could fill that back up role.........If only he could play though.

Post Thanks / Like

How is it that we can give an injury prone player in Tom Williams a new 3 year deal at the end of 2011, but we cannot (atleast at present) give Will who is coming off a career best season the same?

I know staff have changed, but it just doesn't seem right.

Post Thanks / Like

If we don't sign Will for three years (provided that is the only sticking point) we will officially be the worst list/contract negotiators in the AFL! Even if he only maintains this level for two years, his experience will be invaluable in the third year. GET THE DEAL DONE