Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL player dead?

Extremely sad news, condolences to pafc and his family.Seemed like a good player with a bright future, such a shame. R.I.P. John

Post Thanks / Like

Rip jmac

Post Thanks / Like

Terrible, terrible tragedy. Just sickened me when I read of it earlier today.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Terrible news..my thoughts to his family and team mates. RIP
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    There was only 7 players there on a holiday. The only thing that makes it a "Footy Trip" is that the people on the holiday played football.

This is the sort of thing I'm expecting to hear from Caroline Wilson in the coming days.
    You're probably right, but clubs will get nervous when a bunch of footballers holiday together.

Post Thanks / Like

Condolences to Johns family, friends and team mates
    I bleed Red,White & Blue

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    Horrible horrible news. Feel for the Port Club and his family.

Why?
    A group of 20 something's ( living a regimated life) in a group.
    Clubs invest heavily now and like it or not the old footy trip is a thing of the past.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty hard to get my head around this, I don't know thw guy, but this is just such an incredible tragedy. Words don't do it justice.

Post Thanks / Like

Horrible news, and my condolences go to his family and all that were close to him.

I'm hopeful the coverage is tactful, and that no media outlets or personalities will attempt to raise their profile or profit from this tragedy.

Post Thanks / Like

"An-off duty policeman hired by the Western Bulldogs player (sic) for their end of season trip to Las Vegas has begun working with US authorities and Port Adelaide at the start of an investigation which police estimate could take up to eight weeks."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...#ixzz266o8ldMV
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Horrible news, and my condolences go to his family and all that were close to him.

I'm hopeful the coverage is tactful, and that no media outlets or personalities will attempt to raise their profile or profit from this tragedy.
    I to hope the press show some signs of decorum and respect , unfortunately there is always going to be a reporter who want's to make a headline.

Condolences to all his family, friends and teammates.(past and present)
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Horrible, horrible stuff. You don't expect that your son/brother/boyfriend/friend will go on a holiday and never come back again. Condolences to all his family and friends.
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

I would say after this shocking incident that our club will call off the trip to Las Vegas as I believe Essendon have as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Was very sad to hear this, shocking news. Thoughts are with his family and friends at this time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    I would say after this shocking incident that our club will call off the trip to Las Vegas as I believe Essendon have as well.
    Doggies players already there and met up with the Port Players:

Chaperon police officer to play vital role in investigation as Dogs players on hand for support

A VICTORIAN police officer used by Western Bulldogs players as their chaperon in Las Vegas will form a vital part of the investigation into John McCarthy's death.

Bulldogs match-day runner Stuart Bailey joined a dozen Dogs on their trip to Las Vegas, which intersected with the shock death of the Port Adelaide midfielder.

He is being used as a conduit between Victoria Police and its US counterparts, with Australia's Federal Police also involved in the investigation.

The Bulldogs players - including leaders Robert Murphy, Matthew Boyd and Daniel Cross - were scheduled to leave Las Vegas in the next 48 hours.

Bailey had his trip funded by the players, keen to ensure their low-key trip to the gambling mecca went off without controversy.

A group of under-21 Bulldogs had decided at the last minute not to travel to Las Vegas, given the legal drinking age in Nevada would prevent them from entering bars and nightclubs.

Dogs players had mingled with the Port Adelaide group, with some of them believed to have been at the same nightclub on Saturday night.

But not all players could gain entry to the club, which meant few players were aware McCarthy had left by himself.

Port Adelaide players were unaware McCarthy was missing until they were contacted by Power officials the next morning.

Bulldogs forward Jarrad Grant, a former Dandenong Stingrays teammate, was a close friend of McCarthy.

The clubs were involved in a heated sledging controversy involving Dogs ruckman Will Minson and Port midfielder Danyle Pearce this year, but the Bulldogs are believed to have helped counsel Port players.

Bulldogs officials frown on mass-scale football trips, especially after negative publicity flowed from a trip to Hong Kong in 2010.

But the presence of responsible leaders such as Murphy, Boyd and Cross placated the club.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.