Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Stand Alone Bulldogs VFL Team in 2014

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/we...6/default.aspx

The Western Bulldogs today announced that they will field a stand-alone VFL team, from 2014.

The Bulldogs and Williamstown Football Club have agreed, in consultation with AFL Victoria, to bring forward the terms of the current alignment agreement between the two clubs by one year. This means the agreement will end at the end of 2013 rather than 2014.

Western Bulldogs Chief Executive Simon Garlick said that the new agreement was the best outcome for both clubs.

“The establishment of a stand- alone VFL side has been a clear strategic objective for the Club and it is very pleasing this will become a reality in 2014,” Simon Garlick said today.

“This outcome is consistent with our increased focus and commitment to the development of our young exciting players.

“This decision supports our aim to build and develop our team from within and the ultimate delivery of sustainable success, both on and off the field”.

Garlick indicated that the intention was to play matches at Whitten Oval as well as throughout the region to reinforce the Club's standing as the team of Melbourne's West, the Bulldogs' heartland.

Williamstown Football Club General Manager, Brendan Curry also announced that the Seagulls would field a stand-alone VFL team in the 2014 Competition.

“This is a significant result for the Seagulls and we are excited by the opportunities it will bring for the Club in the future.

“Equally we are looking forward to a successful season next year in partnership with the Dogs - off the back of a competitive 2012”.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stand Alone Bulldogs VFL Team in 2014

Undoubtedly this is an exciting development for the club but I'm a bit worried - where is the money coming from to pay for this?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    Undoubtedly this is an exciting development for the club but I'm a bit worried - where is the money coming from to pay for this?
    It's a good question, but to make money, you have to spend money, or to be the best club you can, maybe you have to have a stand alone team?

What is everyone's thoughts on what the AFL would be thinking? The AFL were the one's who dismantled the reserves comp and now it appears it will be coming back.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Great News for the development of our young team.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Best news since the WO redevelopment.

This would be incredible if we get games played at WO, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Great news. It's going to be interesting seeing where my loyaltys lie when we play our first game against Port Melbourne.

I wonder if we will win a VFL premiership before we win a AFL flag?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

GVGjr had a good point earlier in the year. The big risk is that the VFL team pulls crowds away from our AFL team. I for one will enjoyed going to Willy games and following players, sometimes more so than the AFL team. If it's called Footscray, will that be a risk? It could be an issue, because I for one am really looking forward to following a WB VFL team.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Great News. More teams are going down this direction in getting a stand alone team.

Post Thanks / Like

It will be awesome to be able to bring the kids, they can run around without having to sit in their seats.
    Kick the footy on the ground, barrack for Footscray.................Cold tins instead of plastic cups? I'm excited!
    Won't stop me going to see the REAL doga of course.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    GVGjr had a good point earlier in the year. The big risk is that the VFL team pulls crowds away from our AFL team. I for one will enjoyed going to Willy games and following players, sometimes more so than the AFL team. If it's called Footscray, will that be a risk? It could be an issue, because I for one am really looking forward to following a WB VFL team.
    Do you reckon if we call the VFL team Footscray that eventually the AFL team will be called Footscray again. Would the VFL team maybe just be called WB.

Post Thanks / Like

Garlick indicated that the intention was to play matches at Whitten Oval as well as throughout the region to reinforce the Club's standing as the team of Melbourne's West, the Bulldogs' heartland.

West Footscray on Essex Street?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Do you reckon if we call the VFL team Footscray that eventually the AFL team will be called Footscray again. Would the VFL team maybe just be called WB.
    I think they will continue with the Western bulldogs branding

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post

West Footscray on Essex Street?
    Ha ha, that would be great. I use to kick my footy around there when we lived nearby in the early 60's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think they will continue with the Western bulldogs branding
    Like with Collingwood and Geelong calling their VFL teams by the same name.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Like with Collingwood and Geelong calling their VFL teams by the same name.
    It makes sense especially since they want to play some games away from WO