Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stand Alone Bulldogs VFL Team in 2014

Any news on what we are calling this team ? Footscray?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Still haven't heard anything about the team name but I remember a while back rumours that they new team could be called Footscray.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Board meeting later on in the year to determine the name.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Of course this list may have outside players and we have to replace Gia and Cross in the senior side plus some of these maybe delisted.
    Yeah, aside from list changes your side seems pretty right. The draftees from next year will be able to be slotted straight into the VFL seniors in place of whoever we get rid of, which will be good.

The interesting bits are the name, jumper, sponsors & home ground, which you didn't want to discuss
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Still haven't heard anything about the team name but I remember a while back rumours that they new team could be called Footscray.
    It'd be nice, but in my view would be a backwards decision. We're the Western Bulldogs now, about time we embrace it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    It'd be nice, but in my view would be a backwards decision. We're the Western Bulldogs now, about time we embrace it.
    Surely we can embrace the romance of a Footscray team at the WO.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogriff View Post
    Yeah, aside from list changes your side seems pretty right. The draftees from next year will be able to be slotted straight into the VFL seniors in place of whoever we get rid of, which will be good.

The interesting bits are the name, jumper, sponsors & home ground, which you didn't want to discuss
    I thought it had already been done before so is was leaning on a different track but that's fine. It's still good discussion.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

yep, there are so many kids born in 1997 (now 16 years old ) who have never heard of Footscray.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to see it called Footscray as it is our history and 90% of the museum is about Footscray and the reserves hopefully will be playing at the Whitten oval
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Surely we can embrace the romance of a Footscray team at the WO.
    Romance vs. a cohesive brand for the football club.

Don't get me wrong, I grew up loving Footscray. I live in West Footscray. It hurt me as much as anybody else when we gave up our name. But it's done, it's a part of our history, just as much as the '89 fightback, and we need to stop wishing for a return to the past and embrace our future as the Western Bulldogs.

That's why I can't see us naming the VFL team Footscray. It would cause more angst than it would warm traditional hearts.

Post Thanks / Like

Romance vs. a cohesive brand for the football club.

Don't get me wrong, I grew up loving Footscray. I live in West Footscray. It hurt me as much as anybody else when we gave up our name. But it's done, it's a part of our history, just as much as the '89 fightback, and we need to stop wishing for a return to the past and embrace our future as the Western Bulldogs.

That's why I can't see us naming the VFL team Footscray. It would cause more angst than it would warm traditional hearts.
    I'm a fan of the Western Bulldogs name, but it's a bit rich to claim the west in the VFL when there are existing teams representing Williamstown & Werribee
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a fan of the Western Bulldogs name, but it's a bit rich to claim the west in the VFL when there are existing teams representing Williamstown & Werribee
    Yeah, this. It's a better argument than mine.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Yep I agree. Naming the team Footscray also means that wE could build substantial rivalries with Willy and Werribee. Especially Willy-it'd be great to reignite a local derby after all these years with a club we had such a huge rivalry with before we joined the VFL. And Port Melbourne and Essendon.

If we play it right we could have our cake and eat it too.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yep I agree. Naming the team Footscray also means that wE could build substantial rivalries with Willy and Werribee. Especially Willy-it'd be great to reignite a local derby after all these years with a club we had such a huge rivalry with before we joined the VFL. And Port Melbourne and Essendon.

If we play it right we could have our cake and eat it too.
    For mine it's about the positioning of the entire club, and how it's viewed across the broader AFL community rather than how it's viewed by a football community, whilst important to the fabric of the game, isn't necessarily a greater means to our end.

There's also a fair contradiction in trying to represent the greater West with our AFL brand, whilst trying our best to segregate certain suburbs of the West and create rivalries within the region through how we manage our feeder team's brand.

Post Thanks / Like

Great point GG. All the guff posted previously focused on AFL marketing agendas, and ignored the fact its a different league.

Footscray it should be.