Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our Brownlow Medalists

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    Where's Barry Round, Bernie Quinlan and Brian Wilson?
    And the ones robbed George Bisset and Chris Grant?
    You can also add Luke Darcy cos Shane Woewodin was a fraud.
    I was there the day "Wee Georgie" was reported for striking Carl Diterich; and there was no doubt he did it, and why. It was a square off for another Footscray player being felled by Carl, EJ if my memory is correct.

Bearing in mind the relative size diference, they shouldn't have taken the Brownlow off George, but presented him with a VC as well.

I agree that the report that robbed Chris of his brownlow was just rubbish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    I was there the day "Wee Georgie" was reported for striking Carl Diterich; and there was no doubt he did it, and why. It was a square off for another Footscray player being felled by Carl, EJ if my memory is correct.

Bearing in mind the relative size diference, they shouldn't have taken the Brownlow off George, but presented him with a VC as well.

I thought Bisset was reported and let off at the tribunal. I also thought he kicked 5 as first rover that day and umps weren't allowed to vote for him at all in that match?

Post Thanks / Like

Actually Wikipedia says it was vs Carlton he kicked 6 and had over 30 possessions. Didn't get a vote and lost the brownlow by 1 vote.
    Sounds like robbed to me.

Also straight from the horses mouth when interviewed by TCD on this forum.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually Wikipedia says it was vs Carlton he kicked 6 and had over 30 possessions. Didn't get a vote and lost the brownlow by 1 vote.
    Sounds like robbed to me.

Also straight from the horses mouth when interviewed by TCD on this forum.
    Yept correct, was robbed because of the rules at the time, ie umpires put the votes in before the tribunal hearing.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Where's Barry Round, Bernie Quinlan and Brian Wilson?
    And the ones robbed George Bisset and Chris Grant?
    You can also add Luke Darcy cos Shane Woewodin was a fraud.
    Wasn't it Scott West that was robbed that year?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Wasn't it Scott West that was robbed that year?
    As much as West should have won the medal, it's an enormous oversight to say anyone but Kouta was the best player that year; no beef with West being "robbed"
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    As much as West should have won the medal, it's an enormous oversight to say anyone but Kouta was the best player that year; no beef with West being "robbed"
    Kouta was a bit stiff with major awards in his career, IMO he deserved the Norm Smith instead of the Sentimental Favourite Williams, in the Carltons 95 flag.
    Although I may have been a bit biased as I had money on Kouta to win.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

If he was beaten by Kouta fair enough but it was Woewodin.

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't Kouta miss the last three games and was stuck on 19 votes, with the winner on, I think 22?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Its painful just thinking about it, isn't it?

You'd handle Kouta edging you out for a brownlow, not Woewoeful.

Post Thanks / Like

There's always a few players that can win it on merit adn Kouta certainly was one that I'd be happy with. Woewodin, all power to him, just wasn't there and it was a massive kick in the guts to see him take it out in front of West.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post

It's funny as I'd look at the Grant incident nowadays and say he should at least be brought in front of the tribunal, and maybe cop a week. There really was no need for him to do what he did that day, though the penalty and the way it was handed down retrospectively from the administration after the umpires didn't lay a repot was disgraceful and completely out of line with how the game was played then.

What sickened me most about the whole thing was Lockett being scrutinised under similar circumstances in the following weeks, and the rat Collins stating he wasn't going to intervene as the Umpiring team had passed a recommendation not to, and that was enough for him to not intervene. While I was competely pissed at Collins for his initial intervention in the Grant case, his contradictory stand on Lockett (considering his poor record) was disgusting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It's funny as I'd look at the Grant incident nowadays and say he should at least be brought in front of the tribunal, and maybe cop a week. There really was no need for him to do what he did that day, though the penalty and the way it was handed down retrospectively from the administration after the umpires didn't lay a repot was disgraceful and completely out of line with how the game was played then.

What sickened me most about the whole thing was Lockett being scrutinised under similar circumstances in the following weeks, and the rat Collins stating he wasn't going to intervene as the Umpiring team had passed a recommendation not to, and that was enough for him to not intervene. While I was competely pissed at Collins for his initial intervention in the Grant case, his contradictory stand on Lockett (considering his poor record) was disgusting.
    What I don't understand is why the club didn't challenge this and the rules at the time??

Post Thanks / Like

Bump

Do any of our players have a chance to add to the list of 10 Brownlows at our club?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Bump

Do any of our players have a chance to add to the list of 10 Brownlows at our club?
    Every single one of them does.

Maybe not Picken. Can't see an umpire giving him 3 votes every week.