Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2012 AFL Grand Final Thread

We are coming up to the last Saturday in September Grand Final day. We will be here one day.

Hawthorn v Sydney MCG 2:30pm AEST
    Last edited by Eastdog; 26-09-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2012 AFL Grand Final Thread

Grand final.. BRING ON 2016!! Im convinced we will make it by then haha

Think the Hawks will be over rated and Sydney are in with a sneaky chance if the game is low scoring

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DragzLS1 View Post
    Grand final.. BRING ON 2016!! Im convinced we will make it by then haha

Think the Hawks will be over rated and Sydney are in with a sneaky chance if the game is low scoring
    Agree DragzLS1. The Swans are a real chance this weekend and will not make it easy for the Hawks. Adelaide nearly got them last week and if Hawthorn are inaccurate again that might cost them this time round. Geelong in the 08 GF were very inaccurate in front of goal and it cost them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Agree DragzLS1. The Swans are a real chance this weekend and will not make it easy for the Hawks. Adelaide nearly got them last week and if Hawthorn are inaccurate again that might cost them this time round. Geelong in the 08 GF were very inaccurate in front of goal and it cost them.

Definately. Sydney will take there chances and if hawks arnt careful it will be another replay of both Geelong games they had this year on the siren, 50 our slotted by lets say Kennedy just to burn them more.. 1 point win to teh swans lol it would be soo cruel but enjoyable at the same time..

On another note, Liam Picken to win the Grand Final 100m sprint! Go Picken! Just dont do your hammy like last time :s

Post Thanks / Like

Just like Sydney's midfield spread better than Hawthorn.
    If Sydney had another big forward you'd be worried from a Hawk perspective.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Just like Sydney's midfield spread better than Hawthorn.
    If Sydney had another big forward you'd be worried from a Hawk perspective.
    Hawks will find it hard to match up on Goodes, plus they have LRT and Reid.

Hawks biggest issue is the backline. Cloke kicked six in the qualifying final and Tippet and Tex had 4 each last week.

I think the Swans will win this one by less than 20 points.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking this will be close - wondering what impact the weather will have...if it does rain, I've got no doubt Sydney will handle it ok. Can't remember Hawthorn playing in the wet this year (I'm sure it has happened, just can't recall) while Sydney killed us up there earlier this year on such a day (maybe not the best guage I'll concede )

Still think Hawthorn, but not by much - and won't be surprised at all is Sydney can pull this off.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

I think this year's Grand Final mirrors 2007 quite nicely. Hawks are so far ahead of the pack (much like 07 Geelong) and just got a nice old scare in the prelim (just like 07 Geelong). Could get ugly...Although for the game's and entertainment's sake I hope not.

Post Thanks / Like

The Peoples Beard will be representing Brisbane in the 100 metre sprint!

Liam Picken for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Hawks will find it hard to match up on Goodes, plus they have LRT and Reid.

Hawks biggest issue is the backline. Cloke kicked six in the qualifying final and Tippet and Tex had 4 each last week.

I think the Swans will win this one by less than 20 points.
    Schoenmakers plays well on the more light bodied forwards.
    Reid's struggled this season , but LRT gets off the leash on occasions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theimmortalmike View Post
    I think this year's Grand Final mirrors 2007 quite nicely. Hawks are so far ahead of the pack (much like 07 Geelong) and just got a nice old scare in the prelim (just like 07 Geelong). Could get ugly...
    Everybody has been referencing the 2007 formline to justify Hawthorn's favouritism for the GF. But since then (except for the drawn GF in 2010), there has been a tough struggle PF and an easier PF, with the winner of the easier PF going on to win the following week.

Geelong in '08, St Kilda in '09, Collingwood in '11 - all of them hot favourites for the season, all of them had a torrid PF and all of them lost the week after despite being hot favourites in the big one. I really like Sydney this week - they are playing the better footy and they have the midfield depth to blunt Hawthorn's attacking drive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Everybody has been referencing the 2007 formline to justify Hawthorn's favouritism for the GF. But since then (except for the drawn GF in 2010), there has been a tough struggle PF and an easier PF, with the winner of the easier PF going on to win the following week.

Geelong in '08, St Kilda in '09, Collingwood in '11 - all of them hot favourites for the season, all of them had a torrid PF and all of them lost the week after despite being hot favourites in the big one. I really like Sydney this week - they are playing the better footy and they have the midfield depth to blunt Hawthorn's attacking drive.
    Great points Sedat.

How much will the weather impact the game, especially if it does hail and rain during the game, I tend to think this will help Sydney more.

(Or that could just be me hoping and preying Swans get across the line)
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to the game today.

Having a look at the weather online, looks like a strong chance of rain today which should play into Sydney's favour somewhat. Expecting a close game, tipping Hawks by 13 points with Burgoyne first goal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    Looking forward to the game today.

Having a look at the weather online, looks like a strong chance of rain today which should play into Sydney's favour somewhat. Expecting a close game, tipping Hawks by 13 points with Burgoyne first goal.
    I hope it does, but the bad weather would want to hurry up, it's a beautiful morning in Melbourne without a cloud in the sky. If it weren't for the weather reports people would be talking about what a perfect day it is for a grand final.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I hope it does, but the bad weather would want to hurry up, it's a beautiful morning in Melbourne without a cloud in the sky. If it weren't for the weather reports people would be talking about what a perfect day it is for a grand final.
    Do you think that good or bad weather suits favours either side 'Stache?

I think that these are the two sides in the competition best equiped for a wet day and so rain will not favour either side, but a fine and windless day will suit Hawthorn because of their superior foot skills. That being said, I have a suspicion that Sydney will win regardless because they play for each other better than any side in the competition and have a game plan which should stand up to the pressure of a Grand Final better than Hawthorns'.