Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2012 AFL Grand Final Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LongWait View Post
    Do you think that good or bad weather suits favours either side 'Stache?

I think that these are the two sides in the competition best equiped for a wet day and so rain will not favour either side, but a fine and windless day will suit Hawthorn because of their superior foot skills. That being said, I have a suspicion that Sydney will win regardless because they play for each other better than any side in the competition and have a game plan which should stand up to the pressure of a Grand Final better than Hawthorns'.
    I think wet weather helps Sydney.

Pretty much as you've said LW, the wet reduces Hawthorn's ability to cut Sydney up with foot skills, and despite being renouned for a hard edged approach and having some tough ball winners, Hawthorn have actually been beaten a few times around the contest recently. That's one area Sydney have the edge, and wet weather generally means more contests which adds to Sydney's likely advantage.

Post Thanks / Like

Hoping for a Sydney win and agree wet weather footy should suit Sydney more. Mumford is a gun in wet weather footy, my tip for the Norm Smith.

First goal, Goodes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsman View Post
    Hoping for a Sydney win and agree wet weather footy should suit Sydney more. Mumford is a gun in wet weather footy, my tip for the Norm Smith.

First goal, Goodes.
    I can remember in the lead up to our semi against Brisbane a couple of years ago, my brother and I were listening to the radio on the way in and it was debated whether or not the weather would be to Brisbane's advantage by reducing the skill level.

Then dermie goes on with a diatribe about how 'the more skilled team will still be more skilled in bad conditions'. We still laugh about it to this day.

I suppose you just had to be there but I'm tipping Sydney by 2 goals and I've got a tenner on Lewis Jetta to kick the first goal.

Post Thanks / Like

My 2nd cousin is having is wedding today - of all days in Preston (Church) and Thomastown (Reception). The wet weather will certainly help the smaller players more than the tall. Buddy Franklin may struggle in the GF if its wet. The game I reckon will be a very good contest. I going for the Hawks to win but would not be surprised if the Swans win it. The rain is really coming down now and it is icy cold only 10 degrees.
    Last edited by Eastdog; 29-09-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    My 2nd cousin is having is wedding today - of all days. The wet weather will certainly help the smaller players more than the tall. Buddy Franklin may struggle in the GF if its wet. The game I reckon will be a very good contest. I going for the Hawks to win but would not be surprised if the Swans win it. The rain is really coming down now and it is icy cold only 10 degrees.
    2nd cousin? I don't even know my 2nd cousin!

Where is it raining? Im in the inner north of Melbourne and no rain yet.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I hope no-one minds my quoting a grand final joke told by Butane on that other (less good!) footy website:

A bloke was at a packed MCG watching the GF and really enjoying the game. At half time the bloke behind him leans over and says " 'scuse me mate but I couldn't help notice the seat beside you is empty. Why is that? People are paying thousands for a seat."

"Oh", says the first bloke "it was for my wife of 40 years ... she passed away not so long ago"

"I'm terribly sorry to hear that", says the 2nd bloke, "but couldn't you just give it to a mate?"

"Naah, not really, they're all at the funeral."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

Still clear here in the city, but the clouds are rolling in.

Post Thanks / Like

The radar has a bloody big rain band coming over Geelong on its way to the city according to 7's coverage.

Post Thanks / Like

I know him but I wouldn't say we are that close. It was raining at the MCG and then started raining a bit my way in the East of Melbourne. It's stopped now.

Post Thanks / Like

Grand Final sprint about to start, with Huddo running it's disapointing Daniel Cross is injured. Those two side by side would be an epic event.

Post Thanks / Like

Liam Picken is there for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Channel 7 reporting Mumford hurt a hamstring at training on Thursday and will have a fitness test just before the bounce but is in serious doubt to play.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Channel 7 reporting Mumford hurt a hamstring at training on Thursday and will have a fitness test just before the bounce but is in serious doubt to play.
    If true, that is a massive blow. Hopefully 7 are full of it like normal.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

If true, that is a massive blow. Hopefully 7 are full of it like normal.
    Will Bruce be commentating.

Post Thanks / Like

After the last 5 or 6 years I discovered that I'm no longer an AFL fan I'm just a Western Bulldogs fan. I really don't care about the game today and haven't done for a while now. Having a few beers with mates is the best thing about GF day.