Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Lake gone

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake gone

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I wihs they had the same record in finals that Lake had.
    Well Brian's decided he is keen to go and add to that finals record elsewhere - so he can go and do that.

If he didn't want to stay at the club - then we may as well get something for him (mind you the compensation is very light on - I agree there).

Post Thanks / Like

Seen it coming and said it last week! If they take his contract, we get more salary cap and more picks.. Hes only got 2 seasons left in him I would say and I for 1 am happy for him! EVEN THOUGH IM BURNING DEEP DOWN!

He has been there for us through thick and thin and is a champion and deserves what we couldnt give him, another crack at a premiership. I could only imagine what it feels like in our backline :s

Williams will have to step up which I think he can. Hope Hawks win it next year with Lake and are forever greatful to the dogs, aswell as giving 1 of our great FB a premiership, allbeit in some sh1zen colours.

Lets move on and look forward to the youngsters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    He has a degenerative hip problem is 30 years old he struggled big time last year, if we kept him for another year we would get nothing for him. What value is keeping him if we aren't pushing for finals in the next year?
    We get a first round pick at 21 and 41 but lose 27.
    Who cares if we get nothing for him, I don't.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

We basically moved up 6 places in the 20's for an AA full back, wasn't even a straight swap for 21, we just got totally bent over.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Disgraceful indeed. Basically we have traded Brian Lake for a 40 something pick.

The only way that this makes sense is if they think his body is gone.
    The way I read the trade and the day's events.

We have traded Brian Lake out - aging player with 1 yr to go before he could walk as a free agent.
    We have brought Lachlan Hunter in. A player we have worked to get for some time and potentially a long senior career. I concede that he might not make it.

We have exchanged draft picks gaining 21 for 27

The 3rd rounder from Hawthorn basically gives us back the pick that was allocated for Hunter

So we get a new draftee with potential for a player whose career will be over before we again challenge, and we have already debuted players who can replace the old veteran with 2 players in 2012 showing great promise as KPD - Talia and Roughead plus Roberts who looks a likely swingman.

I am pretty happy with the deal.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The only reason Lake agrees is because he was told he is no longer going to play fullback at the club next year. Now we know why he was told by Macca - because he wants to get rid of him.

Sorry, as a Bulldog supporter, I have seen so many of our champs go I am sick and tired of it.

A clubs fabric is not made up of only young and up and coming players, but also by the old champs.
    You know this for a fact?

It's just as likely he's still extremely pissed off at the way the previous coaching group mismanaged him last year and now that his trade currency is back up he know he can tell the club to trade him to his club of choice or he'll walk next year for nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DragzLS1 View Post
    Hope Hawks win it next year with Lake and are forever greatful to the dogs, aswell as giving 1 of our great FB a premiership, allbeit in some sh1zen colours.
    Sorry, hope Hawks don't make the finals and Lake doesn't get to play finals.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Who cares if we get nothing for him, I don't.
    Now you're being silly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dale_dogs View Post
    I think it is a good deal for both clubs, but it"s crucial we use those picks to turn the deal into a win for us!

Very sad to see Lake go!
    This is the key. If we draft quality, this trade will be talked about as a win for years to come (ie Cameron for Hargrave + Gilbee [or whichever players we traded with those picks]). If we draft kids who don't work out, Bulldogs fans will talk about this as the day our club was destroyed.

All comes down to the draft.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    1.You know this for a fact?

2. It's just as likely he's still extremely pissed off at the way the previous coaching group mismanaged him last year and now that his trade currency is back up he know he can tell the club to trade him to his club of choice or he'll walk next year for nothing.
    1. Yes I do, Macca told my mate he will not be playing fullback again at the Bulldogs.

2. Please don't start that again, the only mismanagement was loud mouthed Monty.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Now you're being silly
    Its true, I would rather he stayed a dogs player for life and retired and doggies man.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Yes I do, Macca told my mate he will not be playing fullback again at the Bulldogs.

2. Please don't start that again, the only mismanagement was loud mouthed Monty.
    1. That's not what I asked, I asked if you know for a fact that he was told he wouldn't play FB again because McCartney wanted to get rid of him.

2. That's a hopelessly one eyed view of history.

Post Thanks / Like

I never though ruthless efficiancy and the WB would ever be in the same sentence.

I like what has happened here. Lake has asked to walk, rather than prolonging a painful process we have given him what he wants and we get another 1st rounder. Or, we lose him to free agency next year and get bent over yet again.

Chris Grant is a club Champion. Lake was a great fullback for 3 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Lake most likely wants to win a premiership. Getting pick 41 for him is terribly underrating him

Post Thanks / Like

Sad to see him go but glad the club is focussing long term.

As long as we do not trade for Dawes I will be happy.