Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Young Western Bulldog Jordan Roughead to replace Brian Lake

One thing that has really impressed me about Roughy is his ability to read the flight of the ball. This will help him no end as a defender, I reckon he showed enough in the final few round to suggest he is worth perservering with.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

I agree Slim. I've been underwhelmed with him in the ruck so far. He always came off as pretty timid in the ruck - but I didn't see this in his defensive play. His running and jumping at a contest is good - and the 200cm's gives him good reach to spoil.

I think he movement with improve with more time and focus on that position - and playing down back - may even make/educate him to be a better forward - if thats what he finishes up as. The way the game is going - with Ruckman resting forward regularly - it would be very handy to have a very tall man who knows how to defend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I'm not all that keen on this move... Roughy is slow off the mark and has a wide turning circle. I guess he can play on the big logs, but I think the opposition will try and isolate him.

To me Roughy is our best developing ruckman and should be developed to play this role.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    One thing that has really impressed me about Roughy is his ability to read the flight of the ball. This will help him no end as a defender, I reckon he showed enough in the final few round to suggest he is worth perservering with.
    I agree with both of these posts.

Whilst I think Roughy showed quite a bit as a defender, playing on some very good players and holding his own, his pace off the mark is that of a ruckman.

I think Roughy is a natural ruck who can drift forward and have an impact. I'm disappointed we aren't trying to hone his skills up forward, because he showed a lot at FF throughout the year, he just simply couldn't kick a goal. If anything, we should be trying to improve his goal kicking IMO.

I really hope this isn't a long term move.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I'm not all that keen on this move... Roughy is slow off the mark and has a wide turning circle. I guess he can play on the big logs, but I think the opposition will try and isolate him.

To me Roughy is our best developing ruckman and should be developed to play this role.
    I agree. IMO at best Roughead is a stop gap measure for a defenders position but certainly not one to do it week after week. I've been proven wrong before but I just haven't seen enough positives in his play to be confident that he can make it a success.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I liked Roberts in the Forward line for Willi, he took some good marks and his kicking is pretty good.
    Totally agree i think Roberts could make a key forward with time and a bigger body good mark and kick.

Post Thanks / Like

I was impressed with a lot of his work in 2012, and I really like Roughy as a player, and it may well help his game long term, but he is not a natural full back. Talia is a far more natural key defender for my money

Roughy can pinch hit on Clark, or a resting ruck man, and some bigger key forward types, like Dawes , but I just dont see that he is a full back that could go with a Fevola, Jack Darling, Pavlich, Hurley etc

We might need a positive news story in light of supporter backlash/confusion as to the trade but I think this is a stretch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I agree. IMO at best Roughead is a stop gap measure for a defenders position but certainly not one to do it week after week. I've been proven wrong before but I just haven't seen enough positives in his play to be confident that he can make it a success.
    I agree. And that's not to say he didn't show some nice things at times down back this year, just that on the whole I can only see there being limited times throughout the year where the match ups could be worked to our advantage with him in the backline.
    I would like to know how our coaching staff believe Roughy's agility and lack of pace off the mark issues could be mitigated.

I am not sold on this working out next year and hope that it doesn't negatively impact his overall development if it doesn't go well.

Post Thanks / Like

Who knows what lies ahead but from what I saw this year Roughy played well at fullback. We also have to allow for the fact it was his first season too in playing that position. Let's give him time and if he continues to improve we might have found our selves a solid backman or even the side's swingman.

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure that the coach believes Roughy is full back for the long term.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    He's too slow off the lead. I love the kid, but moves like a ruckman.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    He's too slow off the lead. I love the kid, but moves like a ruckman.
    Natinui
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post

I'm sure he does as well. I hope to have a quick chat with him about it on Tuesday
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure he does as well. I hope to have a quick chat with him about it on Tuesday
    I thought the coach wanted Fletcher Roberts to put on 7kgs to play on the monsters down back?