Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 30 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Dawes?

Post Thanks / Like

Chris Dawes?

The rumours swirling around Chris Dawes might prove a painful distraction to the angst generated by the Lake trade, and so I think they're worthy of a thread for themselves

This might become redundant very quickly if Carlton or another team get him, but ugly noises are abounding of us giving up pick 21 and likely more (another pick or Tutt) for Dawes.

I actually think he is the kind of player that will be good for us, at least for a few years. Our young key position forwards need to get a bit bigger before they can handle being double-teamed and it is better to have someone who can take the punishment rather than risk Cordy/Jones etc being smashed to bits.

Dawes could be a useful foil as the number 1 forward, and the others could go ok learning their craft in the pockets and flanks. I know this is unlikely to be a view shared by many of you, but I'd be happy with him, if the price was right.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty pessimistic on the price being right. I could have lived with swapping Lake for Dawes, because it seemed like we were going to be able to play Lake forward, and Dawes has had much better results as a forward than Lake ever has.

But to give up pick 21 now that we've seemingly been paid unders by the Hawks is not that nice. And then to add another pick or player in with it is even worse.

Carlton seem to be pushing the price up and Dawes is under contract, so can't walk to us via the preseason draft. With the price this high, I'd be happy for him to go to the Blues.

I live in hope but this is hard to be optimistic. Of course, we need to embrace the humour of moments like these. And I did enjoy the moaning of Mapgies barrackers that pick 21 + our pick in the low 40s was way too little (!!!!!) to pay for Dawes. I pray that they are proved correct.
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chris Dawes?

In a premiership year, he kicked a record high 30 goals in 20 games. I can't see how he could significantly improve his output in a lesser side.
    His marking above his heard is Simon Minton Connell like. I cannot get excited by this trade.
    Pick 41 I could live with, not 21 and a player, that's ridiculous!

Post Thanks / Like

What is Carlton offering?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    A bag of samboy salt and vinegar chips (I just scoffed half a big packet as I am typing)

Post Thanks / Like

I remember threads similar to this when Kennedy & Schulz were available. Not a lot wanted those 2 either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Don't know. But the twittersphere is abounding with rumours that we're giving up Picks 21 and 47.

Hopefully just draft-fever.

*Edit: Actually, that's a bit silly given that pick 47 is being used on Hunter.
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    In a premiership year, he kicked a record high 30 goals in 20 games.
    Minson kicked about that much as our designated key forward in 2008 - it isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of Dawes' ability to hit the scoreboard.

I'm very underwhelmed by the thought of parting with pick 21 form Dawes, let alone pick 21 and another pick or player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I remember threads similar to this when Kennedy & Schulz were available. Not a lot wanted those 2 either.
    I liked Schultz and thought he was worth a second chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Source?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

You were one of the few Desi.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Source?
    I don't get what you mean by source? I'm not suggesting he wants to leave Port

Post Thanks / Like

I guess you need to way up his positives and negatives.

Positives-
    - Takes no.1 key defender allowing Cordy, Jones, Grant or Dickson to get a lesser like.
    - Has a good reputation for his professionalism.
    - Is generally a reasonable shot at goal.
    - Is in appropriate age bracket meaning he could feasibly play for 6-7 years.
    -Still has upside and improvement
    -Will be in our best 22

Negatives
    -Goes missing in games too often/consistency issues
    -His best return so far is 30 goals in a season.
    -Salary may be consider "overs"
    -Will cost us a first round pick (mind you i'd be calling double standard if people complained about this after saying "it's not even a first round pick" when traded for Lake)
    - Will be in our best 22.

An interesting prospect which i'm really not sure about, our alternatives aren't exactly setting the house on fire. Will be interesting to see what happens.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    You were one of the few Desi.
    There were a few otters on here as well. It's not as if Richmond were asking for a lot for him (unlike Collingwood with Dawes)

Post Thanks / Like

I don't get what you mean by source? I'm not suggesting he wants to leave Port
    Just interested if you were on of the few that publicly stated they wanted to give Schulz a second chance.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Just interested if you were on of the few that publicly stated they wanted to give Schulz a second chance.
    I did not strongly advocate that we should get Schultz however I always thought he was worth a 2nd chance.
    I saw him kick a few bags of 6s in his time at the tigers.
    Whether I publicly stated it on here I am not sure. A mate of mine and I thought he could be a decent player elsewhere, that is a conversation I can recall.
    I'm sure you will probably search the archives.

And just for the record, I don't lie.