Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

London, game one of a new Dog season

link

LIKE a few of their AFL peers, the Western Bulldogs yesterday got back into the business of pre-season training - with one major difference. While the bulk of the competition won't play for another four months, the Dogs will be pulling on the boots for their first hit-out of a new campaign in just four days.

Post-season exhibition games in London, the last of which was played six years ago, have traditionally been a footnote to the season just completed, a final assignment before AFL players have a well-earned break.

But for the Bulldogs and Port Adelaide - their opponent on Saturday at the Oval - the holidays are over and, effectively, their first game of 2013 arrives with all concerned if not just a little short of peak fitness, a lot shorter for touch.
    "It's unusual," Bulldogs football manager James Fantasia said yesterday.

"You're a little bit compromised because of the restrictions around players' annual leave, but we just thought it was a really good opportunity because we've got such a young group that we take them away, and rather than just play the game, turn it into a pre-season camp.
    ''For us, the bonding is as important as getting the conditioning into them.''
    While conscious of the players' eight-week leave requirements, Fantasia said the club had maintained an "open door" policy for those who wanted to train in the lead-up to this week.
    "It's been completely up to them, but most have bobbed up at some stage just to do a session here and there, and that's been really pleasing."

The two newest Doggies, former West Coast midfielder Koby Stevens and former Collingwood youngster Tom Young, were acquainting themselves with their new teammates and their new Whitten Oval home as the club officially regathered for the new season yesterday.
    And there's every chance they'll both be pulling on a Bulldogs jumper in a match situation before they've even got their heads around all their new teammates' names, with the club's entire list heading for London tonight for a training camp leading up to the game on Saturday night (Melbourne time).

Port left on Sunday, heading to Milan for a similar purpose.
    "This was their first day, and tomorrow they go away with the boys. I don't think you could get a better way of getting to know the group," Fantasia said.

The Dogs' other "newbie", father-son pick Lachie Hunter, will be staying home, with VCE exams to focus on. But the new players aren't the only Bulldogs for whom the London camp and game will be a swift introduction to the business of season 2013.
    Newly-appointed high performance manager Graham Lowe, who has most recently looked after Scottish rugby and had a long association with New Zealand's All Blacks, will not only be taking charge of the senior list, but meeting them for the first time only upon their arrival in England.

Strength and rehabilitation co-ordinator Matt Hibbert has held the fort since the departure of Lowe's predecessor, Bill Davoren, for St Kilda.
    The club has also acquired, on a full-time basis, American strength and conditioning coach Andy Barnett, whose background is in the NFL, and most recently, with New Zealand's Olympic squad.

The Bulldogs will rest most of their veterans, including Adam Cooney, who left yesterday for treatment at a German clinic for his troublesome knee, but who will join the group later in the week.

But the Bulldogs have close to a full book from which to choose, with big man Tom Campbell, who has had ankle surgery, one of only a few rehabilitation cases.
    Saturday's game will be a valuable learning experience for the younger Bulldogs, stresses Fantasia. Even if, nine weeks after the last game for 2012 but essentially the first of 2013, no one's expecting the slickest skills in the world.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: London, game one of a new Dog season

Anyone know if it's being covered by Fox?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Asked the WB Twitter feed about coverage.
    Reply:
    Western Bulldogs ‏@westernbulldogs
    As a side note, unfortunately no TV or radio coverage of Saturday's Exhibition Match. We're working on getting highlights for BulldogsTV.

Post Thanks / Like

They should get this filmed and put up to watch and also have clips of them at the soccer clubs ect.. So we can go on this pre-season camp / experience with them.

Post Thanks / Like

Having Fox Footy I know right now they are having replays of the 2012 season matches. There is no reason why they couldn't telecast it live as I remember the London matches in the past where live on Free to air. Anyway Bulldogs TV on the Bulldogs website will show highlights of the match.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Having Fox Footy I know right now they are having replays of the 2012 season matches. There is no reason why they couldn't telecast it live as I remember the London matches in the past where live on Free to air. Anyway Bulldogs TV on the Bulldogs website will show highlights of the match.
    Unless Fox Footy were instructed or contracted to by the AFL I can't see why they would spend the $$'s to telecast a game between the 2 most irrelevant teams of 2012?

Post Thanks / Like

Squad for game.

Jarrad Grant, Mitch Wallis, Luke Dahlhaus, Shaun Higgins(C), Pat Veszpremi, Easton Wood, Clay Smith, Fletcher Roberts, Liam Jones, Daniel Pearce, Tom Liberatore, Jordan Roughead, Tory Dickson, Christian Howard, Michael Talis, Alex Greenwood, Lukas Markovic, Jason Johannisen, Liam Picken, Lin Jong, Ayce Cordy, Koby Stevens, Tom Campbell

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Squad for game.

Jarrad Grant, Mitch Wallis, Luke Dahlhaus, Shaun Higgins(C), Pat Veszpremi, Easton Wood, Clay Smith, Fletcher Roberts, Liam Jones, Daniel Pearce, Tom Liberatore, Jordan Roughead, Tory Dickson, Christian Howard, Michael Talis, Alex Greenwood, Lukas Markovic, Jason Johannisen, Liam Picken, Lin Jong, Ayce Cordy, Koby Stevens, Tom Campbell
    Now that is a young list.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Unless Fox Footy were instructed or contracted to by the AFL I can't see why they would spend the $$'s to telecast a game between the 2 most irrelevant teams of 2012?
    Exactly. Now if one of the teams was Collingwood......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Now that is a young list.
    With only Campbell and Roughead to ruck. Interesting.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    With only Campbell and Roughead to ruck. Interesting.
    Why? Cordy is also listed.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I bet if it was Collingwood and Carlton playing then the game would be telecast.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Why? Cordy is also listed.
    Sorry. Must've missed him.

As it is though, I thought Cordy and Campbell were earmarked as future forwards and Roughead a key back. Part time ruck also of course.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Sorry. Must've missed him.

As it is though, I thought Cordy and Campbell were earmarked as future forwards and Roughead a key back. Part time ruck also of course.
    I think Campbell has been earmarked as number one ruck sooner rather than later. Cordy will have to eventually provide ruck relief I'd imagine.

If Roughead works out as a key defender that limits his ability to provide ruck relief.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

There doesnt have to be a commentary team present. If no one is going to watch except for die hard fans, we only need the pictures!! 1 camera would be enough

Seriously though, I reckon with the continued coverage the sport been getting since the GF that a large number of people would like to see any live game on the telly, no matter who it is between & where. We know its going to be two & half to 3 month before the next pre-season game, & thats a long time to hang out, especially when you cant stand the cricket !!