Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Port wins London Exhibition game

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It was an exhibition game with hybrid rules, smaller numbers of players on the field and shorter quarters. Coming away with no injuries, no fights and hopefully no one making a prick of themselves over there is probably a win in itself.

It's probably the least important game we have played in years and I'm not concerned in the slightest with a one point loss.
    I agree 100% with regard to the physical game itself, but the psychological effect of another 2nd half fade out is concerning. Losing is habitual, as is winning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I agree 100% with regard to the physical game itself, but the psychological effect of another 2nd half fade out is concerning. Losing is habitual, as is winning.
    I get what you are saying but I also suspect that if we had won the game and a few people were excited about the result then some on here would then start talking down the result for the same reasons I have highlighted.

I just think we are looking too deep into a result for a nothing game and speculation of supposed 2nd half fade outs when the quarters are just 14 minutes doesn't wash with me.

To me the highlights are the players getting some exposure to premier league teams and a chance for the newer guys to bond with the playing group and this far outweighs the result.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I get what you are saying but I also suspect that if we had won the game and a few people were excited about the result then some on here would then start talking down the result for the same reasons I have highlighted.

I just think we are looking too deep into a result for a nothing game and speculation of supposed 2nd half fade outs when the quarters are just 14 minutes doesn't wash with me.

To me the highlights are the players getting some exposure to premier league teams and a chance for the newer guys to bond with the playing group and this far outweighs the result.
    Quoted for truth.

Amazed at some of the negative responses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Quoted for truth.

Amazed at some of the negative responses.
    Surprised?

A mate of mine went (Not a Dogs supporter) and said Higgins and Picken were just outstanding for us. He hadn't seen Higgins look that good in years. I'm not that excited about it as it's only a practice match but it's great to hear that Higgins played so well.

Bulldogs will be putting a full replay of the match on the website apparently.

Post Thanks / Like

Good the team got to have a run pre-christmas, it will give them a bit of a taste.

I can't understand some of the negativity.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, perhaps this is a sign of how low some supporters are in morale.
    When supporters get the shits because of a one point loss in a measly scratch match,( with a bunch of rookies ) you know their vitality is pretty low.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post

The Good -
    Higgins was a class above and showed it. Hope he stays fit because he looks set for a big year;
    Stevens will slot right into the midfield. Kicked a gret goal too;
    Roughhead, looks real comfortable at FB. Took the game on and will only get better. He is a gem.
    Vezpremi kicked 3 goals on a day when our forward line struggled. He is a forward first, backman second.
    Wood - did some nice things and gave good run off half back another who looks like he could benefit from an injury free year.
    Picken was just great. Played as a HFF and snagged a few as well as taking a specky.
    Loved reading all of that, especially about Roughie. Only a practice game but maybe Macca is on to something.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at a picture in the Adelaide Advertiser this morning, looked like a fair crowd and there were no blocks of seats closed out with advertising.

Perhaps Port should look at making this there home ground and change their name to "Surrey Power"

Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    Looking at a picture in the Adelaide Advertiser this morning, looked like a fair crowd and there were no blocks of seats closed out with advertising.

Perhaps Port should look at making this there home ground and change their name to "Surrey Power"

Just a thought.
    That's low.

Funny, but low.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with this, and had we not conceded a consecutive chunk of goals to Port during the game I wouldn't have batted an eyelid. But the conceding of 9 goals in a row late in the game has been a trend we've seen from the team even when the whips were cracking in H&A games this year. Port weren't exactly at full strength either and they are one of the poorer performd clubs in the competition in recent seasons.

Hearing BMac talk about not coaching and just letting the players work it out for themselves in the 2nd half implies that the coaching staff take the plaudits for getting us 6 goals ahead and then squarely putting the blame on the players for the 2nd half fadeout - I didn't like that implication, nor did I like hearing any excuses trodden out for the loss of what was an exhibition match in the off-season (there is nothing to justify/explain IMO). I certainly hope to see BMac actually influence the course of games from the coaches box in 2013 - as a senior coach, he has as much to prove as many of the playing group.

The experience of travelling to London as on a training camp and witnessing other professional clubs at work will be invaluable - no arguments from me whatsoever for the benefits of the trip to our playing group.

Post Thanks / Like

Comments on specific players:

The Good -
    Higgins was a class above and showed it. Hope he stays fit because he looks set for a big year;
    Stevens will slot right into the midfield. Kicked a gret goal too;
    Roughhead, looks real comfortable at FB. Took the game on and will only get better. He is a gem.
    Vezpremi kicked 3 goals on a day when our forward line struggled. He is a forward first, backman second.
    Wood - did some nice things and gave good run off half back another who looks like he could benefit from an injury free year.
    Picken was just great. Played as a HFF and snagged a few as well as taking a specky.

The Bad -
    Jones - led well, marked well but has to be the worst set shot kick for goal in the AFL. He had 2 or 3 great chances in the 3rd quarter to stretch the lead beyond 40 points and missed gettable goals. In the real season those misses really hurt.
    Howard - just don't see this guy being able to add the necessary strings to his bow to be effective enough. Simply he doesn't have a footy brain.
    Skinner - looked well out of his depth. Couldn't hold a mark and was ineffective
    Cordy - played ruck and in the forward line. Didn't reall excell in either.
    Grant - pretty anonymous
    Appreciate the update Fredi.

Some good positives by the looks - Roughy down back might end up being a stroke of genius by BMac if his rate of improvement increases. Lateral thinking that should be applauded if it bears long term fruit. Nice to hear that Stevens has already started adding value to our midfield rotations.

The 'bad' list looks very familiar from the 2012 H&A season. A mountain of work ahead of these guys in the next 3 months.

Post Thanks / Like

I went to the game. It was bloody cold.

Whilst not really concerned by the result, the concern was that when they got on a roll and kicked 5 or 6 in a row we couldn't stop them. Give the team the benefit of the doubt that its an exhibition match and early in the preseason, but the same could be said of Port, yet they found something to claw their way back into the game.

Comments on specific players:
    The Bad -
    Jones - led well, marked well but has to be the worst set shot kick for goal in the AFL. He had 2 or 3 great chances in the 3rd quarter to stretch the lead beyond 40 points and missed gettable goals. In the real season those misses really hurt.
    I'm just stoked to hear he wasn't running under the flight. If he's actually taking grabs it would be a huge boost for his confidence this year. The yips can be taken care of if he's getting his hands on the ball.

Post Thanks / Like

Some good positives by the looks - Roughy down back might end up being a stroke of genius by BMac if his rate of improvement increases. Lateral thinking that should be applauded if it bears long term fruit. Nice to hear that Stevens has already started adding value to our midfield rotations.

The 'bad' list looks very familiar from the 2012 H&A season. A mountain of work ahead of these guys in the next 3 months.
    It worked for Lake being a forward in his junior days as well as other players including Micky Martin at North who was a forward before becoming a very good full back, Roughy certainly reads the play well enough and has strong hands, I'm looking forward to seeing how he progresses in this position next season, I watched him closely at the Gabba playing on JBrown, and thought he did quite well.

Post Thanks / Like

Hardly surprising list is it? Massive concerns for mine, I did think Grant would make it and still hoping he can as he has the skill set to become an effective AFL player but the others....
    They scare me no end.

Great to hear about Stevens though. Lets hope he can have an impact like Dickson did last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Why is anyone reading anything at all into this game?

The guys have had 8 weeks off from the end of season and came back to training one week ago, then flew off a couple of days later to London. They have barely even had a run around the oval let alone even being remotely fit.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.