Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ashley Hansen appointed development coach

excerpts from a report in perth this afternoon:-

WEST Coast premiership forward Ashley Hansen has called an end to his WAFL career with Swan Districts and will return to Melbourne to begin a job as a development coach with the Western Bulldogs.

Hansen played 78 games with the Eagles and 98 matches with Swans since moving west after being drafted by the Eagles 11 years ago.

Hansen will begin a new career as a development coach at the Bulldogs tomorrow, in a role that also incorporates some sports science work. He has a sports science degree and is completing a masters in strength and conditioning.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ashley Hansen appointed development coach

Well, he finally made his way to us didn't he!

Good luck to the guy, he seems well qualified and hopefully he can add some value.

Post Thanks / Like

When he could get onto the park he was a handful for a lot of defenders. Good to see that he has planned the next phase of his footy life so well.

Hopefully he might be able to help the guys like Jones and Grant take that next step.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    When he could get onto the park he was a handful for a lot of defenders. Good to see that he has planned the next phase of his footy life so well.

Hopefully he might be able to help the guys like Jones and Grant take that next step.
    Agreed, looks like a solid appointment.

Post Thanks / Like

Great bloke. Good get.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Can he still play? Could not be any worse than Jones in 2012.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Good get.
    Can you elaborate on what he brings to the table, MJP?

Post Thanks / Like

That would be Clarke's son would it not?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 39 Memories View Post
    That would be Clarke's son would it not?
    Yes, Clarke is his father.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Good reward for Smith as well, he has worked hard at lifting himself to assistant coaching level.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see we are getting someone that is not from Geelong.

Post Thanks / Like

Have always been impressed when I've heard him on radio

Having so many young talls he just seems a good fit

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Have always been impressed when I've heard him on radio

Having so many young talls he just seems a good fit
    I have a mate in WA who share mjp's views. Said we have picked up aspiring coach and a great guy who has worked hard for the last two years to move into coaching. Said he is very focused on becoming a good coach.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    I have a mate in WA who share mjp's views. Said we have picked up aspiring coach and a great guy who has worked hard for the last two years to move into coaching. Said he is very focused on becoming a good coach.
    Cheers Jasper and mjp

Development is clearly very important to us improving as a footy club

Its important to me that we surround young kids with the right kind of people (Yes, Im sounding very McCartney).

If you draft kids from all over Australia you have a responsibility to them to put them in a position to be successful and surround them with good role models as teammates and coaches.

I liked the appointment of Rohan Smith last year in a development capacity, as most dogs could attest to his character, as could people who had had small involvement with him, like Leigh Matthews who raved about his qualities after coaching him in a state game.

Its nice to hear positive reports on Ash Hansen

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...8/default.aspx

Hansen's forward thinking

NEW Western Bulldogs development coach Ashley Hansen is excited by the prospect of helping the club's inexperienced key forwards become influential finals performers.

Hansen, the centre half-forward in West Coast's 2006 premiership team, started with the Bulldogs this week and is enthusiastic about working with marking targets like Liam Jones and Ayce Cordy.

"On the first day I was running with young 'Jonesy' ... so I'll start to work with all of them, definitely, and will be here for them as much as they want," he told BulldogsTV.

"I'm going to be as enthusiastic as they are to watch them improve, so hopefully we can work together and really drive each other.

"I'm looking forward to working with them and seeing how they develop over the course of the year and making sure their skill-set is one that will hopefully win finals one day."

Hansen, 29, is also keen to impart the knowledge he gleaned in nine seasons with the Eagles to help create a successful culture at Whitten Oval.

"That was one of the things when I met with the club initially about the possibility of joining, just the culture [Dogs coach] Brendan [McCartney] is trying to create here," he said.

"Along with the young coaching group and the young player list, I think it’s a good opportunity (to) really build a culture and a foundation for sustained success over a number of years. And to be a part (of) that and to start at this stage was something that really excited me.

"Ten years in Perth was a great time. I really enjoyed it. Winning and losing grand finals were obviously the highlight and the lowlight, so I'd like to think that I've got that to offer to this group (which) will hopefully be contending on Grand Final days in years to come."

Hansen's role with the Dogs will also have a sports science component. He took 10 years to complete a sports science degree and is now studying for a masters in exercise science.

"(I) would like to think that will compliment my coaching and my role here, which will be 25 per cent sports science in helping the guys return to play," he said. "(And) not (just) play, but play well."

Hansen's new job reunites him with Dogs skipper Matthew Boyd. They were good mates during their days at Mazenod College in Melbourne's east.