Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Crows & Tippett Charged

The Crows are doing the best they can here by owning up to their errors. The fine won't hurt them too much and a loss of drafts picks impact them next season but it will catch-up with them.

We might slide up the draft order by one spot.

How hard is the AFL prepared to go on the tanking issue?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I struggle to know or understand whether they've been helpful because they knew the jig was up and this is the path of least resistence. The cynic in me believes they're minimising harm.

I think they need to have a severe non-financial punishment thrown at them. Everyone knows that only a completely over the top fine will impact them as a club, so the only way they can be punished appropriately is through making it difficult for them to develop their list through talent replenishment over the coming years.

It will be interesting to see if the AFL has the balls to hit them where it will actually hurt them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I struggle to know or understand whether they've been helpful because they knew the jig was up and this is the path of least resistence. The cynic in me believes they're minimising harm.

I think they need to have a severe non-financial punishment thrown at them. Everyone knows that only a completely over the top fine will impact them as a club, so the only way they can be punished appropriately is through making it difficult for them to develop their list through talent replenishment over the coming years.

It will be interesting to see if the AFL has the balls to hit them where it will actually hurt them.
    It is kinda soft that both teams likely to be punished have been able to land 17yr old (potential) guns before sanctions hit them. Spreads the pain a fair bit.

They should get a massive draft wack, fine, no rights to Friday night footy for 3 yrs, travel more for the next 3 yrs. You name it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    It is kinda soft that both teams likely to be punished have been able to land 17yr old (potential) guns before sanctions hit them. Spreads the pain a fair bit.

They should get a massive draft wack, fine, no rights to Friday night footy for 3 yrs, travel more for the next 3 yrs. You name it.
    Good point.

For Adelaide removal of revenue from their home ground Showdown in 2013 and exclusion from the next couple would be a reasonable outcome, as would removal of Melbourne's ongoing charitable blockbuster that lands on the Queens Birthday weekend for a few years.

Both have shown they are prepared to take the good, but subvert the bad in this regard and exclusion from these events would prove a very strong reminder that they are very well looked after by the AFL in terms of fixturing, compared to other clubs in these instances.

Post Thanks / Like

The possible penalties for the Crows are obvious, but what about those for Tippett?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    The possible penalties for the Crows are obvious, but what about those for Tippett?
    Is Tippett at fault or is it his manager?

Should some blame go that far, interesting to see how it pans out.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post

The manager represents the player so I don't think Tippett can use an excuse that he wasn't aware. He also wanted an agreement in the contract that he could be traded to the club of his choice which sounds a lot like draft tampering.

The Crows will cop their draft restrictions and I think Tippett will get some form of suspension maybe something like 12 games.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Throw the book at them.

Ban them foir 10 years - I could put up with a bye each round for this

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post

You could say that Tippett signed off on it so he should be punished as well but then again do player know much about the TPP?

A better punishment than taking their picks away would be to take the 1997 premiership away from them. At least I'd feel a smidgeon better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    You could say that Tippett signed off on it so he should be punished as well but then again do player know much about the TPP?
    TPP is irrelevant - if he agreed to a $200,000 payment outside of his AFL-sanctioned contract he knew he was in the wrong regardless of his knowledge of teammates' contracts.

Not sure if the AFL would be so drastic to enforce a 12 month de-registration (the AFLPA would practically riot) but on evidence thus far he has a definate case to answer.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    TPP is irrelevant - if he agreed to a $200,000 payment outside of his AFL-sanctioned contract he knew he was in the wrong regardless of his knowledge of teammates' contracts.
    Was it worded to him that way though? I haven't read much of what has unfolded so not sure on the exact circumstances.

Edit: Should clarify that I believe Kurt knew what he was doing. There is a slim chance there is another side to the story though.

Post Thanks / Like

Doesnt matter how it was worded. He signed 2 contracts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Was it worded to him that way though? I haven't read much of what has unfolded so not sure on the exact circumstances.

Edit: Should clarify that I believe Kurt knew what he was doing. There is a slim chance there is another side to the story though.
    There is always another side when you haven't heard from the accused.

I would say he was young and naive and just went with what the adults told him the way it would be done.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Where does his father sit in all this? Ruthless by all accounts.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus