Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pity about Marngrook

Too bad about Marngrook footy show. One of my fav's.

Martin Flanagan wrote a wonderful obituary below.

THE Marngrook Footy Show was for people who don't need the stimulus of constant sensational news breaks to maintain their interest in the game.
    It had some great personalities, none better than former St Kilda player Gilbert McAdam. Gilbert's relationship with the English language is unique, his sentences starting where they should end, jumping to the start and then ending in the middle. But a generous spirit shone through every word. As I said in an earlier column, watching Gilbert was like seeing a man driving a tractor the wrong way up the Hume Highway waving to all the oncoming traffic.
    The show had plenty of good-natured badinage but it also had people like triple premiership player Chris Johnson, who speak on footy with the sort of natural authority that makes you want to listen. The friendly atmosphere of the set which was underpinned by a healthy respect for the game and those who had made real achievements in it meant that guests on the Marngrook Footy Show often revealed sides of their character not evident in other footy media.
    It was old-fashioned but in a good way. For all the light-hearted revelry, there was never an issue of taste on the Marngrook Footy Show. I never saw women belittled and it was one of the show's female presenters, Leila Gurruwiwi, who brought home to me what was most remarkable about the show. Leila, who comes originally from Arnhem Land, was so confident.
    Advertisement
    The Marngrook Footy Show was such a confident assertion of indigenous identity. At the same time, it effortlessly made the cross-over into mainstream culture. Anyone making generalisations about indigenous culture in this country that neglected to mention the Marngrook Footy Show would be missing something significant.
    As for the ABC, I'm going to be one of many watching very closely to see how long it is before the national broadcaster comes up with a program that better serves both indigenous Australia and the cause of reconciliation.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...#ixzz2CQuGVfiH
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pity about Marngrook

disgraceful by the ABC axeing a great show.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic article by Martin Flanagan. Whoever was responsible for axing the show couldn't evaluate its worth. I am not certain what KPI's were not met but the KPI's must have not been able to value the show properly.
    Bring back Marngrook Footy Show.

Post Thanks / Like

please send an email to this address to ask them to reconsider their decision

audience.liaison@abc.net.au

Post Thanks / Like

Probably the only show on Australian television that features indigenous Australians in live entertainment tv. I can only think of a couple of news readers on SBS and ABC that indigenous, there may be some kids shows that i'm not aware of but any other show with indigenous peoples in it seems to be a drama or documentary.
    Pretty poor really.

If you go to NZ it's quite different.

Post Thanks / Like

I never saw women belittled and it was one of the show's female presenters, Leila Gurruwiwi, who brought home to me what was most remarkable about the show. Leila, who comes originally from Arnhem Land, was so confident.

Compare that to the Channel 9 footy show

7. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Always watched Marngrook, as I gave up on the other ones ages ago! It's a darn shame they have axed it. I might email them too!

Post Thanks / Like

Terrible decision. Really enjoyed the lightheartedness of the show.
    Enjoyed seeing some the indigenous players come out of their shell on the show.
    Crap decision Aunty!!

Post Thanks / Like

I've sent them an email, thanks for the link DD. Don't know if it'll make any difference but at least they'll know we care!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    please send an email to this address to ask them to reconsider their decision

audience.liaison@abc.net.au
    I sent:
    "Fantastic article by Martin Flanagan. Whoever was responsible for axing the show couldn't evaluate its worth. I am not certain what KPI's were not met but the KPI's must have not been able to value the show properly. It was the only AFL footy show that was charming and natural, a wonderfull expression of both football appreciation and aboriginality shining in the community, a jewell in a quarry.
    Bring back Marngrook Footy Show."

Thanks DD.

Post Thanks / Like

Got a reply to my protest email today. No joy, unsurprisingly, but at least they acknowledged it:

Thank you for your email. The ABC appreciates you taking the time to write in regard to our decision not to renew The Marngrook Footy Show for 2013.

Marngrook has a long history, commencing on community radio in the 1990s and then moving to community television and NITV, the national Indigenous television channel. The program moved to ABC2 in 2011 and this year we broadcast 28 episodes on Thursday evenings.

I can assure you that the decision to stop production of the program after two seasons was not taken lightly. The ABC takes a number of factors into consideration when producing or acquiring programs - whether the program is distinctive, the level of audience engagement and interest in the program, and the costs involved in producing or acquiring the program.

Regrettably, despite the show's distinctiveness, there was limited audience interest in The Marngrook Footy Show and in spite of moving the timeslot of the show from 7:30pm to 8:30pm in 2012, the program was unable to find a sustainable audience. Considering the high production costs for the program, ABC2's finite resources, and the fact that across pay and free-to-air television there are 18 footy shows in total, the ABC had to make the decision that our audience is better served by us investing elsewhere in other programs.

Nonetheless, the ABC acknowledges that the program had a core of devoted followers who watched the program each week and we regret your disappointment with this decision. I will ensure that your comments are noted and made available to ABC Television management for their information.

Thank you again for taking the time to write.

Yours sincerely,

Kevin McAlinden
    ABC Audience and Consumer Affairs

Post Thanks / Like

got the same exact message

Post Thanks / Like

Marngrook has been very poorly supported with advertising.
    They have had some great talent in over the years.
    Paul Vanderhar, Bernie Quinlan, Andrew Demetriou, Eddy Mac
    But they hardly ever promote that they are coming on the show..
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Marngrook provided such positive role models for indigenous people. The show brought people together regardless of race based on the common passion for footy.

When so much government money spent meaninglessly I find it abhorrent that such a good news story as Marngrook be axed.

Gilly, Grant, Leila, Shelly and Ronnie were such good value and I hope they get more work in the media.

Post Thanks / Like

Thing about Matngrook Footy Show is the amount of people who loved what it's all about far exceeded the amount of people who actually watched it.