Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Our goal is to make the 8 RUBBISH!!! Aim for the TOP

How many people here are fed up with just an appearance in the 8
    I am 28 years old have followed the doggies all my life
    and every year I have said this is gonna be our year, maybe next year and so on.
    This by no means is certainly not a bash session just a reality check.
    How many people laughed at Peter Schwab when he said we are going to win the Premiership (being Hawthorn) and we have one of the brains of the coaching world say "We are just looking at making the 8 maybe top 4"
    I attended the Elimination final last year and was proud as punch thought you bewty we are finally gonna be there in that 1 day in september in 2007 so I paid up for a better membership even though I live inter-state i wanted to be a part of it.
    I get a little annoyed that Rocket accepts second best and doesnt have the belief that our team is just as good as any given we have confidence. Because we definatley have the talent.
    I cant accept we are 2,3,4,5 years away !!! Were Sydney thinking this at the start of season in 2005. Were North Melbourne thinking this in 2007
    The reason we have no mongrel is because we accept second best and dont want the ultimate fealing.
    I love the Dogs, I love donating my money to the club but I am fed up with JUST being in the AFL and JUST making the 8. I want to see a team I can be proud of again

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our goal is to make the 8 RUBBISH!!! Aim for the TOP

Top 8 is not good enough for me. I hate being a club that is just simply making up the numbers.

Post Thanks / Like

Shinboners Spirit, The Bloods, House of pain, The lions den

what happend to the hard working spirit of the scragers,
    The fight we showed to save our team.

I'm glad you agree TD
    We cant accept this anymore

I think that our advertising should represent the fight that we have showed through out history, to make our boys be proud but angry we havent tasted more success.

Max Rooke stood up in the pre season at Geelong and said "I wanna be a premiership player"
    and something snapped they all wanted it.

Sure we all set goals to be the best at what we do, but if your hungry enough you will get what you want by any means you can.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind aiming high, I really don't but it's only talk after all.
    I'd much rather be given a realistic assessment from the coach about our chances in 2008 than a trumped up one just to get everyone hyped up.

I'd be very skeptical based on what I saw in 2007 if Eade came out and said we will will the big one. I'd much hear that we have a plan in place that that we land us in the top 6 if that is in anyway possible.
    Perhaps we really just need to hear the facts rather than the fiction.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Ho hum.

Yada, yada, yada.

What this club needs is some good rhetoric.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed !!!!!

We need to get what ever we were eating at the end of '96

Perhaps winning the NAB Pre-Season Cup could be a starter
    Because you cant beat the boys of the BULLDOG breed!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LostDog View Post
    Agreed !!!!!

We need to get what ever we were eating at the end of '96

Perhaps winning the NAB Pre-Season Cup could be a starter
    I have always thought that we should have a genuine crack at winning that however, it just never seems to be the priority because it's bloody hard to win both competitions.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want goals, I want a plan to build a side (getting the bits we're missing) that is a real chance at a flag against the best sides within a reasonable time frame.

I'd rather even miss the finals next season if it meant we learnt to play a style, get a structure happening etc which will enable that.

At the moment, we're not going to be a top 4 side next year. IIRC the '97 Dogs had a forward line and were hard at the ball.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

All I wanted at the end of the year was to win a game/I mean a quarter/I mean, score a goal.

Everything is relative.

All I really want next year is to be able to go to the games each week with a reasonable expectation of victory, rather than praying we dont get barrelled.

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Mr LostDog,

Please dont take this the wrong way because I am not having a go at you. I am also not taking issue with the content of your post - this is because I think it is a valid point and worthy of discussion. I do however wish to draw attention, in a critically constructive manner to the tone and style of this thread.

When I saw it I thought to myself, "Hang on a minute Firsty, this thread is like one on BigFooty!". (Not that there is anything wrong with that.)

But....

One of the things we like about WOOF is that it is not like Big Footy - it is not full of, as Mr Sockey Salmon says, empty rhetoric.

It is not full of posts just like this one I am writing now, where people take each other to task for how they construct their sentences or how they spell surly as in surely (FFS). Because we dont have to, because we all conduct ourselves in a thorougly unBF manner. Which is lovely, and if people get out of line someone usually lets them know even though the rules are unspoken (except for this bit).

It is not always pointed out in such a pompous manner, but you get the idea. And not that there isnt a balance between a casual style and the seriousness and depth of discussion we get here because there is. But WOOF is all class, stripped of the gaudy and flatulent, it is a lean and throbbing football discussion machine. It is also a haven from dills who dont know that their bottoms are on fire.

Which is not to say this thread should not be counted as a valid contribution, merely that it is redolent of a particular style (BF) and that is enough to make me uncomfortable.

Dont get me wrong, I love BF, but I really dont want this to be like BF at all. We already have a BF and it is over at BF.

Am I a snob? Absolutely! This is a refined and serene board - it is the Melbourne Club not the Mona Castle. I come here to be surrounded by people who love the dogs and not a single other person. We have no trolls!

As I said, this is not a crack at you, it is more a celebration of this board and my fierce desire to keep it the way it is. On writing this I have come to realise how much I enjoy it.
    Official Cartoonist for the Western Bulldogs. True!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by firstdogonthemoon View Post
    it is the Melbourne Club not the Mona Castle.
    Is the Melbourne Club in Seddon as well?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    I don't want goals, I want a plan to build a side (getting the bits we're missing) that is a real chance at a flag against the best sides within a reasonable time frame.

I'd rather even miss the finals next season if it meant we learnt to play a style, get a structure happening etc which will enable that.

At the moment, we're not going to be a top 4 side next year. IIRC the '97 Dogs had a forward line and were hard at the ball.
    There clearly needs to be a plan, and the plan has to include a forward line structure that includes some potential key position goal kickers. And the plan has to reward the guys who do the scrapping, chasing, tackling and punish those who dont.

IMO we have enough players that we should be competitive and Top 8 is very achievable.

What we need above all else is HUNGER - because this group just isn't hungry enough

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LostDog View Post
    How many people here are fed up with just an appearance in the 8
    Some advice, don't believe what you read or what the coach tells the media. The coach needs to protect and help the club in the eyes of the members, sponsors, and public in general. Of course the club is striving for a premiership every year, but the coach has to be careful what he says in public, imagine if he told the truth, think about it.

macca028 Guest

Lost Dog is correct, Far to long have we accepted mediocrity as a club

Post Thanks / Like

Here we go again with the accepting mediocrity stuff.