Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our goal is to make the 8 RUBBISH!!! Aim for the TOP

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Here we go again with the accepting mediocrity stuff.
    It wears thin after a while.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Well I have accepted mediocrity in all aspects of my life and suggest you all follow.
    Everything that happens to me now is a bonus. Yippee!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca028 View Post
    Lost Dog is correct, Far to long have we accepted mediocrity as a club
    Macca, I know what you are saying but who specifically do you mean? If it can't be linked to certain people then it's not much more than a convenient saying.
    I'm pretty sure Smorgo, Rose and Eade don't accept it and I'm sure they are significantly determined to make sure the people that work and play for them don't as well.

We have been unsuccessful and no one can doubt that but I can't agree that it's linked to anyone accepting mediocrity especially the above mentioned trio.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Our family motto is "Dare to be Average" (Anyone know the latin translation? I'm after a cool tattoo)
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

You have to be realistic about where we're going to be, I mean, fair enough, the Kangaroos transformed themselves from last year, but they didn't win a flag, did they? They're still a while away from winning the flag, but they're gaining experience in the process. Geelong, while not making the finals in 2006, played in prelims in 2005 and I think 2004, so many of their players already had the experience from then. Last year we had 15 players who were playing their first finals matches, no way were we going to get to the Grand Final with those sorts of numbers and from 8th place, but we gained experience and hopefully that will count in the future. Geelong, West Coast, Sydney, Port etc. have all shown that you need finals experience, and we don't have enough yet, so we have to be patient until they do and need to make consistent appearances in September before becoming serious contenders. Sure, they could make history and do something unbelieveable next year, but I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that in hindsight, 8th place would have been very nice this year..there's certainly nothing wrong with making the finals, no matter where you are, it's a lot better than coming 13th.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd take a finals appearance next year. You have to be realistic. Could we make the 8? Yes, quite possibly. Could we make the 4? Doubtful. Could we win the flag, very very unlikely.

If my boss came out and told the whole company that our team was going to make double our sales next year that we did this year, I'd be pretty annoyed.

If he came to me and said, we want to do 25% more sales next year, 25% the year after, and 25% the year after that, and he was going to put a plan into place to reach that, then I'd be oK with it.

However, setting the 25% higher sales target doesn't mean he'd be happy with us missing target, or not doing his best to get his team to make 100% more sales.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dales.girl38 View Post
    Geelong, while not making the finals in 2006, played in prelims in 2005 and I think 2004, so many of their players already had the experience from then.
    Another urban myth. Geelong lost to Sydney in Sydney in the second week of the finals - Sydney then beat St Kilda at the 'G the following week to make their way to the grand final...

The legend of the Geelong team pre- 2007 is just that - a legend. Sure, they were in winning position against Sydney, but they were a kick and a game vs the Saints, not just a kick - away from the GF. As for 2004, that year they got absolutely pantsed by Port Adelaide in the Elimination round (first week) of the finals series.

So, you might ask, why were so many people tipping them for big things in 2006? Because, I guess, they had played finals for a couple of years in a row and seemed to be the best hope amongst the Victorian sides - where, after all, most journo's/commentators are based.

Maybe I am being pedantic, but let's not let the truth get in the way of a good story...our club - between 2006 and 2007 - has played one less final than Geelong did between 2004-2005...Finals experience and all of that will not be what holds us back.

Post Thanks / Like

In 2004 they played in the Prelim against Brisbane who eventually lost to Port in the GF. In 05 they certainly didn't play a prelim though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Another urban myth. Geelong lost to Sydney in Sydney in the second week of the finals - Sydney then beat St Kilda at the 'G the following week to make their way to the grand final...

The legend of the Geelong team pre- 2007 is just that - a legend. Sure, they were in winning position against Sydney, but they were a kick and a game vs the Saints, not just a kick - away from the GF. As for 2004, that year they got absolutely pantsed by Port Adelaide in the Elimination round (first week) of the finals series.

So, you might ask, why were so many people tipping them for big things in 2006? Because, I guess, they had played finals for a couple of years in a row and seemed to be the best hope amongst the Victorian sides - where, after all, most journo's/commentators are based.

Maybe I am being pedantic, but let's not let the truth get in the way of a good story...our club - between 2006 and 2007 - has played one less final than Geelong did between 2004-2005...Finals experience and all of that will not be what holds us back.
    Sorry, I confused Geelong with St Kilda with the 2005 pre-lim, but my point was that in those two years they made the finals, and gained experience, which we didn't get. Sorry about that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McMahon#23 View Post
    In 2004 they played in the Prelim against Brisbane who eventually lost to Port in the GF. In 05 they certainly didn't play a prelim though.
    Really? My memory is slipping...if so, my bad...sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

You were half right, Port did beat(thrash) them first week of the finals, but it wasn't elimination. Geelong beat the Bombers in the semi final, and then progressed to the prelim against the Lions.